    to get bad ones.

    Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

    Allen

    numberdude, Nov 5, 2004

  2. numberdude wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
    > came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
    > 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
    > a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
    > that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
    > looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
    > in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
    > to get bad ones.
    >
    > Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Allen

    I have one and have printed at least that many prints and have observed no
    banding (I'm very picky about print quality).

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Nov 5, 2004

  3. numberdude

    Frank ess Guest

    BenOne© wrote:
    > numberdude wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This
    >> printer came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that
    >> can print 13" x 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line.
    >> Costs about $400. I've read a few reviews that say the output
    >> quality is very good, but some have said that "banding" occurs after
    >> only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm looking for except the
    >> banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent in the design
    >> of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened to get
    >> bad ones. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Allen
    >>

    > I have one and have printed at least that many prints and have
    > observed no banding (I'm very picky about print quality).

    I have one. Still in the box. This thing is so potent its mere presence
    in the house revived my old (old!) Epson Stylus Photo 750, cured its
    nozzle-plugging problem, and rendered 750 ink cartridges invisible to
    all Staples, Office Depot, and CompUSA personnel.

    I'm thinking of storing the i9900 in an un-restored 1967 MGB GT
    currently mouldering out back. Who knows what other miracles it can
    wreak?

    -- Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 5, 2004
  4. numberdude

    Jer Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    [....]

    > I'm thinking of storing the i9900 in an un-restored 1967 MGB GT
    > currently mouldering out back. Who knows what other miracles it can
    > wreak?

    Frank, that sounds like an excellent idea. But, I'm certain you'd
    prefer to have empirical evidence for this, so I'd like to volunteer a
    '66 Dodge Dart for this worthy cause. If it can handle a 225ci slant
    six, you'll need to figure a way to bottle the magic. :p

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    I'm Jer and I approved this message.

    Jer, Nov 5, 2004
  5. numberdude

    DJ Guest

    I *thought* I had a banding problem on my i9950 virtually out of the box. I
    finally traced it back to the cheap generic photo paper paper I was using. I had
    earlier scoffed at suggestions that the paper could cause banding, but I really
    did observe it for myself. My analysis is that the inks don't wet this
    particluar paper properly, resulting in banding. Now, even with Kodak Every Day
    Paper I get very nice results, and I keep a supply of genuine Canon papers for
    special projects.

    dj

    DJ, Nov 5, 2004
  6. numberdude

    golden67 Guest

    I have had one for 3 months and have had no problems,

    golden67, Nov 5, 2004
  7. numberdude

    bmoag Guest

    I find Canon printers to be technically excellent machines and banding is
    not a generic issue. However Canon printers are somewhat limited out of the
    box because of a lack of canned paper profiles for color management because
    Canon makes only a limited number of amateur style paper surfaces and for
    obvious reasons will only include profiles for Canon papers. The way Canon
    implements color management in its basic driver is a bit of a kludge also
    and in my experience does not yield as predicatable results as with Epson's
    drivers. However if one has the time, equipment and technical expertise to
    create one's own paper profiles I would not hesitate to get a 9900 because
    it is capable of making awesome prints. If you are going to use cheapo
    papers and third party inks and don't use color management why would you
    spend $500 for a printer of this class?

    bmoag, Nov 5, 2004
  8. numberdude

    ... Guest

    numberdude wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
    > came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
    > 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
    > a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
    > that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
    > looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
    > in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
    > to get bad ones.
    >
    > Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Allen

    No serious photographer in their right mind would use a Canon printer.
    The life of their prints is bloody awful!

    The banding problem is most often caused by having a transformer or
    flouresent light near the printer. It can also happen if the (USB)cable
    goes past a transformer or something generating a magnetic resonance.

    Way better to go with HP or Epson. God, even Lexmark's ink last longer
    than Canon's.

    Doug

    ..., Nov 5, 2004
  9. numberdude

    Skip M Guest

    "..." <> wrote in message
    > numberdude wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This
    >> printer
    >> came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13"
    >> 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've
    >> read
    >> a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have
    >> said
    >> that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
    >> looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is
    >> inherent
    >> in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just
    >> happened
    >> to get bad ones.
    >>
    >> Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Allen
    >>

    > No serious photographer in their right mind would use a Canon printer. The
    > life of their prints is bloody awful!
    >
    > The banding problem is most often caused by having a transformer or
    > flouresent light near the printer. It can also happen if the (USB)cable
    > goes past a transformer or something generating a magnetic resonance.
    >
    > Way better to go with HP or Epson. God, even Lexmark's ink last longer
    > than Canon's.
    >
    > Doug

    You are becoming the George Preddy of the printer set.
    I have a Canon S9000 and I've been very happy with the results. I'm
    currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting out
    for a but a month. I have prints from the printer under glass and in
    portfolios that date to when I got the printer that haven't faded a whit.
    I'm a pretty serious photographer, and those around me still say I'm in my
    right mind, 'though undertaking a wedding photographer's life may be strong
    evidence to the contrary.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Nov 6, 2004
  10. numberdude

    ... Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > You are becoming the George Preddy of the printer set.
    > I have a Canon S9000 and I've been very happy with the results. I'm
    > currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting out
    > for a but a month. I have prints from the printer under glass and in
    > portfolios that date to when I got the printer that haven't faded a whit.
    > I'm a pretty serious photographer, and those around me still say I'm in my
    > right mind, 'though undertaking a wedding photographer's life may be strong
    > evidence to the contrary.

    Some people like yourself have control over their images and how they
    are displayed/stored/presented. Others like me who sell prints for a
    living, have no control over how their clients handle the prints. It's
    when you get about 200 people come back and ask for "real" photos it
    starts to dawn on you their might just be a problem.

    The illford paper is no better/different from any other using ceramic
    dust for fast drying. Give it time and the image will disapear. Just
    because I tell the truth is no reason to judge me with the idiot to whom
    I posted a $500 US reward for his identity. You know so much... Tell us
    who he is.

    Doug

    ..., Nov 6, 2004
  11. numberdude

    Skip M Guest

    "..." <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >>

    >> You are becoming the George Preddy of the printer set.
    >> I have a Canon S9000 and I've been very happy with the results. I'm
    >> currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting
    >> out for a but a month. I have prints from the printer under glass and in
    >> portfolios that date to when I got the printer that haven't faded a whit.
    >> I'm a pretty serious photographer, and those around me still say I'm in
    >> my right mind, 'though undertaking a wedding photographer's life may be
    >> strong evidence to the contrary.
    >>

    > Some people like yourself have control over their images and how they are
    > displayed/stored/presented. Others like me who sell prints for a living,
    > have no control over how their clients handle the prints. It's when you
    > get about 200 people come back and ask for "real" photos it starts to dawn
    > on you their might just be a problem.
    >
    > The illford paper is no better/different from any other using ceramic dust
    > for fast drying. Give it time and the image will disapear. Just because I
    > tell the truth is no reason to judge me with the idiot to whom I posted a
    > $500 US reward for his identity. You know so much... Tell us who he is.

    I don't care who he is, I have him killfiled.
    And I don't always have control over how my images are displayed, I do sell
    some, too. Notice the part about "wedding photographer." And I sell images
    in galleries, too.
    Color chemical prints have a finite life span, too. That was part of a
    discussion I had in a group a while back. We demand more of our digital
    prints than we do of our chemical prints. Which can be had cheaply enough
    for them to be a reasonable alternative to inkjet, if appearances and
    longevity are an issue.
    One, no, the primary, reason I compared you to GP is the vitriolic rhetoric
    with which you condemn a perfectly acceptable piece of equipment.

    Skip M, Nov 6, 2004
  12. numberdude

    ... Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > One, no, the primary, reason I compared you to GP is the vitriolic rhetoric
    > with which you condemn a perfectly acceptable piece of equipment.

    Yes, Skip...
    Some people are happy with their S9000 printers. I am not one of them
    and in fact, I can say without qualification, that all Canon inkjet '6
    colour' printers use the same ink and as long as they do, will have
    terrible longevity when displayed in normal rooms without preventing the
    atmosphere for getting to them.

    Try it yourself Skip, make a print and put sticky tape over a part of it
    and leave it in the kitchen for a few weeks. The part under the tape
    will not disappear.

    Doug

    ..., Nov 6, 2004
  13. numberdude

    Skip M Guest

    "..." <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >
    >> One, no, the primary, reason I compared you to GP is the vitriolic
    >> rhetoric with which you condemn a perfectly acceptable piece of
    >> equipment.
    >>

    > Yes, Skip...
    > Some people are happy with their S9000 printers. I am not one of them and
    > in fact, I can say without qualification, that all Canon inkjet '6 colour'
    > printers use the same ink and as long as they do, will have terrible
    > longevity when displayed in normal rooms without preventing the atmosphere
    > for getting to them.
    >
    > Try it yourself Skip, make a print and put sticky tape over a part of it
    > and leave it in the kitchen for a few weeks. The part under the tape will
    > not disappear.
    >
    > Doug

    That's what I'm doing, remember the part of my post that said, " I'm
    currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting out
    for a but a month." Should have read, "about a month," but, you get the
    idea. No fading, so far. I didn't use tape, I folded the image over and
    taped it down.
    OTOH, I had a print from an Epson Stylus Color 880 that faded to sepia in a
    matter of a couple of weeks. You don't see me railing about the poor
    longevity of the non 2200 Epson printers, do you?

    Skip M, Nov 6, 2004
  14. numberdude

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi DJ,

    You can get particular suggested settings for any Kodak paper with pretty
    much any inkjet printer on the market today on the Kodak web site. Check
    them out.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company