Canon i950 - a good replacement for an Epson 810?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jon, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Last year I purchased a Epson Photo 810. It does produce good prints,
    however I find that it can be quite hit and miss, because at times I
    will go to use it and I will need to run the head cleaning function a
    few times before I print, otherwise the print will contain lines or
    strips across the photo.

    After a few prints, it does "warm up" and goes back to producing good
    photos, but in the mean time it has cost me paper and ink. I don't
    use the printer daily, so maybe that is the reason, but I personally
    don't think it should happen, but I know this printer is a kind of
    "budget" printer.

    So looking for a new printer, the Canon i950 seems to get nothing but
    good reviews, and another plus is that the ink would be cheaper, as
    the Epson ink required for the 810 was more expensive than other Epson
    ink even.

    So my question is, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or will
    the problem I have with the Epson still follow me when with the Canon?
    May even follow up my purchase with an Canon Powershot S50 :)

    Thanks,

    Jon.

    Jon, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Jon wrote:
    > Last year I purchased a Epson Photo 810. It does produce good prints,
    > however I find that it can be quite hit and miss, because at times I
    > will go to use it and I will need to run the head cleaning function a
    > few times before I print, otherwise the print will contain lines or
    > strips across the photo.
    >
    > After a few prints, it does "warm up" and goes back to producing good
    > photos, but in the mean time it has cost me paper and ink. I don't
    > use the printer daily, so maybe that is the reason, but I personally
    > don't think it should happen, but I know this printer is a kind of
    > "budget" printer.
    >
    > So looking for a new printer, the Canon i950 seems to get nothing but
    > good reviews, and another plus is that the ink would be cheaper, as
    > the Epson ink required for the 810 was more expensive than other Epson
    > ink even.
    >
    > So my question is, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or will
    > the problem I have with the Epson still follow me when with the Canon?
    > May even follow up my purchase with an Canon Powershot S50 :)

    My i950 is a fabulous printer, best photo quality I have seen. I was a
    bit concerned about the heads and ink drying up etc when my computer was
    out for repairs, but after a couple weeks, the printer printed the first
    copy perfectly, no problems. And the beauty of the Canon is that you can
    pop the head right out, examine it, clean it if necessary, or replace it.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 4, 2003

  3. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > Last year I purchased a Epson Photo 810. It does produce good prints,
    > however I find that it can be quite hit and miss, because at times I
    > will go to use it and I will need to run the head cleaning function a
    > few times before I print, otherwise the print will contain lines or
    > strips across the photo.

    Same problem here, I am going with the i950 if I can... it is now
    discontinued in the UK to be replaced with the i965 this month, which has
    higher resolution, a spare 6x4" paper tray and can print onto CD. We have an
    i950 on demo at work and- unlike very Epson i've tried- produces an
    acceptable image first time, every time.

    --
    Martin
    Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993

    Martin Francis, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message news:<bloqqn$9kd$>...
    > "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > > Last year I purchased a Epson Photo 810. It does produce good prints,
    > > however I find that it can be quite hit and miss, because at times I
    > > will go to use it and I will need to run the head cleaning function a
    > > few times before I print, otherwise the print will contain lines or
    > > strips across the photo.

    > Same problem here, I am going with the i950 if I can... it is now
    > discontinued in the UK to be replaced with the i965 this month, which has
    > higher resolution, a spare 6x4" paper tray and can print onto CD. We have an
    > i950 on demo at work and- unlike very Epson i've tried- produces an
    > acceptable image first time, every time.

    Thanks for that, never noticed. I guess that explains why online
    stores like PC World and Amazon are out of stock of the i950. I will
    now wait for the i965, seems just as good (going on reviews of the
    i960 elsewhere) and with more features.

    Any idea of its release date, as no where seems to stock it just yet.

    Jon.

    Jon, Oct 5, 2003
  5. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that, never noticed. I guess that explains why online
    > stores like PC World and Amazon are out of stock of the i950. I will
    > now wait for the i965, seems just as good (going on reviews of the
    > i960 elsewhere) and with more features.
    >
    > Any idea of its release date, as no where seems to stock it just yet.

    "October" (src- Canon site, lasts week's Micro Mart and Amateur
    Photographer). No real fixed date, SRP about £289. Resolution is pumped up
    to 4800x2400 and you can print to CDs and it has a 6x4" dedicated paper
    tray. Also an i905 with similar spec to the i950 (4200x1200 res) and a built
    in card reader. All USB2, all Pictbridge. Keep watching for the Amateur
    Photographer review, which is the one i'd take note of more than any others.
    The AP rated the i950 as possibly the best inkjet they'd tested for
    photographs, so hopefully the i905 and i965 won't fall flat.
    (i'm still buying the i950 if I can find one- it looks a helluva lot sexier
    than the new models)

    Martin Francis, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message news:<blpqkd$8t8$>...
    > "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for that, never noticed. I guess that explains why online
    > > stores like PC World and Amazon are out of stock of the i950. I will
    > > now wait for the i965, seems just as good (going on reviews of the
    > > i960 elsewhere) and with more features.
    > >
    > > Any idea of its release date, as no where seems to stock it just yet.

    > "October" (src- Canon site, lasts week's Micro Mart and Amateur
    > Photographer). No real fixed date, SRP about £289. Resolution is pumped up
    > to 4800x2400 and you can print to CDs and it has a 6x4" dedicated paper
    > tray. Also an i905 with similar spec to the i950 (4200x1200 res) and a built
    > in card reader. All USB2, all Pictbridge. Keep watching for the Amateur
    > Photographer review, which is the one i'd take note of more than any others.
    > The AP rated the i950 as possibly the best inkjet they'd tested for
    > photographs, so hopefully the i905 and i965 won't fall flat.
    > (i'm still buying the i950 if I can find one- it looks a helluva lot sexier
    > than the new models)

    http://www.dabs.com/uk/ has the Canon i950 in stock I believe.

    I don't really need the use of a card reader on a printer really, as I
    would download the pictures onto a PC anyway, so might as well just
    print from their, so for me still its the i965 or i950, may just hold
    off for now, see what happens when its released.

    Jon.

    Jon, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Jon

    Steven Lin Guest

    (Jon) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I don't really need the use of a card reader on a printer really, as I
    > would download the pictures onto a PC anyway, so might as well just
    > print from their, so for me still its the i965 or i950, may just hold
    > off for now, see what happens when its released.

    I don't know if the Canons can do this, but I can use the card reader
    on my Epson 785EPX to transfer files to the PC. Beats buying a
    stand-alone card reader.

    Steven Lin, Oct 7, 2003
  8. We bought the S900 about a year ago for $250 and are very pleased. I believe
    that it is the earlier version of the I950 with the same specs.,

    4,800 x 1,200 dpi maximum resolution
    3,072 2-picoliter nozzles for exceptional detail
    6 individually replaceable ink tanks
    Borderless 4-by-6-inch photos in just 37 seconds

    however the i950 has Exif support. About three months www.outpost.com were
    selling the S900 for $125 refurbished and we bought another one. I see that
    www.amazon.com is currently selling some refurbished for $159. Excellent
    specs. for the price.

    Declan Hughes
    (remove abc if replying by email)

    Declan Hughes, Oct 16, 2003
  9. I also see that www.tigerdirect.com appear to have it refurbished for $129 at
    the moment.

    Declan Hughes
    (remove abc if replying by email)

    Declan Hughes, Oct 16, 2003
  10. On 7 Oct 2003 13:41:24 -0700, (Steven Lin) wrote:

    > (Jon) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I don't really need the use of a card reader on a printer really, as I
    >> would download the pictures onto a PC anyway, so might as well just
    >> print from their, so for me still its the i965 or i950, may just hold
    >> off for now, see what happens when its released.

    >I don't know if the Canons can do this, but I can use the card reader
    >on my Epson 785EPX to transfer files to the PC. Beats buying a
    >stand-alone card reader.

    I've had an HP Photosmart 1000 for several years, which has a card
    reader built in - but the card reader rarely got used. After putting
    up with far too many irritating screwups with it failing to print
    cleanly (banding, stopping one color midpage, etc.) I finally was able
    to find the Canon i950 at a Sams Club. That was a package deal which
    included the card reader, but my older separate reader still works, so
    that's just icing on the cake. The real story though, is the i950 has
    worked flawlessly for the approx. 4 weeks I've had it. So far have
    printed over 140 high quality photos of 8X10 size, without a single
    screwup. And that includes refilling, at least once, 5 of the 6 ink
    cartridges. Anyone want to buy the HP P1000 cheap?

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Oct 17, 2003