Canon i9100 follow up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PTRAVEL, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    A Canon rep at Frys was nice enough to print out the identical sample image
    on an i950 and an i9100. There was a definite difference in output. Though
    both showed excellent tonality and resolution, the output of the i9100 was
    slightly warmer and more saturated than the i950 which, by comparison, had a
    slight, but discernable green cast. I preferred the print from the i9100,
    though both were excellent.

    The rep also showed me a couple of 13 x 19 glossy inch prints from the i9100
    which, frankly, were spectacular. It was impossible to tell that they were
    from a printer, rather than a darkroom. There was no bronzing at all, no
    dithering pattern visible even on close inspection (I didn't use a loupe),
    bright, contrasty and saturated colors, and nice, smooth tonality on areas
    with subtle shading, e.g. skin tones and sky. I also saw some nice 8 x 10s
    printed on matte paper. It's not a look I would use often, but the output
    was impressive.

    The rep also told me the i9100 will produce about 20 13x10 prints on a set
    of cartridges, which works out to about $3.50 each, not counting paper.
    This pulls the cost of producing large prints to well below darkroom cost.
    Oh, and the best thing -- the i9100 can do borderless prints on 13 x 19.

    I'm going to be in New York shortly, and I'll probably order one shipped
    from J&R (no tax that way). I still want to take a look at the Epson 2200,
    but it's hard to imagine it producing output sufficiently more impressive
    than what I saw from the considerably cheaper (both in terms of purchase
    price and consumables cost) i9100.
    PTRAVEL, Aug 7, 2003

  2. PTRAVEL

    bob reilly Guest

    Don't forget about the speed of the printer. Very Fast!

    bob reilly, Aug 7, 2003

  3. "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message

    Considering the sh*t I've been through with Epson printers, the frankly poor
    mass-printing ability the University Epsons have, and the rather stunning
    prints i've seen from i950s and i9100s... I don't think my next printer will
    be a Stylus Photo. As for the colour cast on the i950 prints you saw, there
    could be any number of reasons. The review I saw of the i950 gave it full
    thumbs up for colour accuracy and remarked that the difference in (IIRC) 2pl
    and 4pl dots from the respective printers is noticable. If I dump the
    majority of my 35mm kit in favour of digital, I may use the proceeds to buy
    the i950.

    OTOH, I find for my current quantity of print-based work, my local lab is
    fairly cost effective and very consistent. Time will tell.

    --
    Martin
    Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot
    Martin Francis, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Martin Francis wrote:
    > "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Considering the sh*t I've been through with Epson printers, the frankly poor
    > mass-printing ability the University Epsons have, and the rather stunning
    > prints i've seen from i950s and i9100s... I don't think my next printer will
    > be a Stylus Photo. As for the colour cast on the i950 prints you saw, there
    > could be any number of reasons. The review I saw of the i950 gave it full
    > thumbs up for colour accuracy and remarked that the difference in (IIRC) 2pl
    > and 4pl dots from the respective printers is noticable. If I dump the
    > majority of my 35mm kit in favour of digital, I may use the proceeds to buy
    > the i950.
    >
    > OTOH, I find for my current quantity of print-based work, my local lab is
    > fairly cost effective and very consistent. Time will tell.
    >
    > --
    > Martin
    > Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

    I've had the i950 for 2 weeks and am blown away with it. I certainly
    don't see any color cast. It's the first home class printer I've used
    that allows me to reproduce pretty damn close to what I see on the
    screen. Color reproduction is amazing. Speed is the icing on the cake.
    Stephen Smith, Aug 8, 2003