Canon i850 Photo Printer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gurble, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    Gurble, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Gurble

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:30:15 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >Has anyone had any experience with this printer?
    >
    >http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i850.html
    >
    >I see that www.prosouth.co.nz has them on special for $419 incl, which
    >seems like a ridiculously good price given the specs (4800dpi,
    >22/14ppm B+W/Colour, borderless photo printing), the fact that it's a
    >Canon, and the RRP of $529.
    >
    >Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    Yes new print head every week..

    Print heads do not last..

    Big , Oct 7, 2003

  3. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:35:49 +1300, Big wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:30:15 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    Correction:

    Has anyone except Woger used one? Anyone except Woger care to comment
    on any gotchas?

    Gurble, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Gurble

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:43:45 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:35:49 +1300, Big wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:30:15 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    >Correction:
    >
    >Has anyone except Woger used one? Anyone except Woger care to comment
    >on any gotchas?

    IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    So stick that in your Pipe and smoke it..

    Some one else here posted that you had to replace the print head after 5
    cartridge replacements.

    I would still by a Epson as they can use any type of ink, the Canon can't,
    the only good thing about the Canon is the separate ink cartridges and lower
    running costs..

    But in the long run could be dearer due to the print head not lasting, the Ink
    corrodes the heating elements in the print head..

    But to me you just do not have the brains to understand all this..

    Big , Oct 7, 2003
  5. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:46:01 +1300, Big wrote:

    At the risk of feeding the troll:

    >IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    >HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    Funny, there's no mention of this on their site. If this was so, they
    would have to have a disclaimer on their site - you know, beside where
    it says "12 month warranty"...

    >So stick that in your Pipe and smoke it..

    No thanks. I've got far better things to stick in my pipe...

    >I would still by a Epson as they can use any type of ink, the Canon can't,
    >the only good thing about the Canon is the separate ink cartridges and lower
    >running costs..

    Um, why would you want to use "any type of ink" if the Canon has a
    lower running cost anyway?

    Two of my previous three printers have been Epsons, and have been
    nothing but disappointing. I'm not going near them again. The other
    was a Canon, and I've been totally rapt with it.

    >But in the long run could be dearer due to the print head not lasting, the Ink
    >corrodes the heating elements in the print head..

    I'm sure it does, like most printers, if you use "any type of ink" in
    it... I stuffed an HP a while back by using refills.

    >But to me you just do not have the brains to understand all this..

    Obviously...

    Anyway, I do genuinely want any info from genuine people with
    experience with this printer.. not the usual Woger "I read it on a[n
    unnamed] website" type response.

    Thanks, Woger, for your input. No, really. I'll be sure to check out
    your points before going ahead with it.

    Anyone else got any comments?

    Gurble, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Gurble

    TEX Guest

    >>Correction:
    >>
    >>Has anyone except Woger used one? Anyone except Woger care to comment
    >>on any gotchas?

    > IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    > HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    If you are speaking in reference to me. I actually said:

    "Warranty on a canon "head" is for 30days only. The remainder of the
    machine is 1 year (or whatever it is normally stated). Unless they have
    changed it from when I worked at canon. The head assembly is classified
    as a consumable like the ink tank."

    > So stick that in your Pipe and smoke it..
    >
    > Some one else here posted that you had to replace the print head after 5
    > cartridge replacements.

    They actually said:

    " Yeah, my old man's Canon S520 needed a new black ink cartridge real
    quick, like maybe 500 pages printed with it!. And then I found out the
    head has to be replaced every 5 carts!"

    > I would still by a Epson as they can use any type of ink, the Canon can't,
    > the only good thing about the Canon is the separate ink cartridges and lower
    > running costs..

    Lower running costs is good, is it not???

    > But in the long run could be dearer due to the print head not lasting, the Ink
    > corrodes the heating elements in the print head..

    The main reason for the need for replacement heads in canon units is due
    to two main factors:

    1) Users insisting on not using authorised canon ink, causing the jets
    to clog and fail.

    2) Users not using thier printers enough, and letting the ink dry up and
    clog the jets progressivly.

    > But to me you just do not have the brains to understand all this..

    You should have just stated these considerations rather than to get all
    uptight about it all, and start flaming everyone.

    Having worked on all the major brand inkjet printers from a service
    point of view, these are the considerations I would take into account.

    1) The amount of printing you will be doing
    2) The quality of printing you will be doing
    3) The environment the printer would be used in

    In general from the number of printers I have serviced, the HP have the
    least amount of problems overall, and cheapest to fix if there is any.
    But they don't have the photo print quality as good as the canons and
    epsons. Some Epsons printers suffer from broken/slipping gears and
    clogged ink heads if not used often enough. Have an exellent print
    quality, but the heads clogging issues are common. Canons have head
    clogging issues and failures that will cause the printer not to power
    on. Excellent print quality, in certain applications better than those
    of Epson. Head issues are less on epsons and canons if they are used
    regulary.

    TEX

    TEX, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Gurble

    Rider Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had any experience with this printer?
    >
    > http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i850.html
    >
    > I see that www.prosouth.co.nz has them on special for $419 incl, which
    > seems like a ridiculously good price given the specs (4800dpi,
    > 22/14ppm B+W/Colour, borderless photo printing), the fact that it's a
    > Canon, and the RRP of $529.
    >
    > Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    I would buy the Canon on the basis that Woger doesnt like it :)

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 7, 2003
  8. TEX wrote:

    >>> Correction:
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone except Woger used one? Anyone except Woger care to
    >>> comment on any gotchas?

    >> IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE
    >> PRINT HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    > If you are speaking in reference to me. I actually said:
    >
    > "Warranty on a canon "head" is for 30days only. The remainder of the
    > machine is 1 year (or whatever it is normally stated). Unless they
    > have changed it from when I worked at canon. The head assembly is
    > classified as a consumable like the ink tank."
    >
    >> So stick that in your Pipe and smoke it..
    >>
    >> Some one else here posted that you had to replace the print head
    >> after 5 cartridge replacements.

    > They actually said:
    >
    > " Yeah, my old man's Canon S520 needed a new black ink cartridge real
    > quick, like maybe 500 pages printed with it!. And then I found out the
    > head has to be replaced every 5 carts!"
    >

    >> I would still by a Epson as they can use any type of ink, the Canon
    >> can't, the only good thing about the Canon is the separate ink
    >> cartridges and lower running costs..

    > Lower running costs is good, is it not???
    >
    >> But in the long run could be dearer due to the print head not
    >> lasting, the Ink corrodes the heating elements in the print head..

    > The main reason for the need for replacement heads in canon units is
    > due to two main factors:
    >
    > 1) Users insisting on not using authorised canon ink, causing the jets
    > to clog and fail.
    >
    > 2) Users not using thier printers enough, and letting the ink dry up
    > and clog the jets progressivly.
    >

    >> But to me you just do not have the brains to understand all this..
    >>

    > You should have just stated these considerations rather than to get
    > all uptight about it all, and start flaming everyone.
    >
    > Having worked on all the major brand inkjet printers from a service
    > point of view, these are the considerations I would take into account.
    >
    > 1) The amount of printing you will be doing
    > 2) The quality of printing you will be doing
    > 3) The environment the printer would be used in
    >
    > In general from the number of printers I have serviced, the HP have
    > the least amount of problems overall, and cheapest to fix if there is
    > any. But they don't have the photo print quality as good as the
    > canons and epsons. Some Epsons printers suffer from broken/slipping
    > gears and clogged ink heads if not used often enough. Have an
    > exellent print quality, but the heads clogging issues are common.
    > Canons have head clogging issues and failures that will cause the
    > printer not to power on. Excellent print quality, in certain
    > applications better than those of Epson. Head issues are less on
    > epsons and canons if they are used regulary.
    >
    > TEX

    I hate to say it but I think for photo-quality printing, it might be better
    (and more cost effective) to get someone like Photokina ar Camera Hpouse to
    do it.
    The cost per print isn't that bad, you don't have to buy and store any
    equipment and there's no consumables or repairs to worry about.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Oct 7, 2003
  9. "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:46:01 +1300, Big wrote:
    >
    > At the risk of feeding the troll:
    > >
    > >IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    > >HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    Unless i am seriously wrong, the i850 takes the same ink cartridges as the
    Canon S-4500, which I use for A3 size photo prints. After one year and a
    half, I have just ditched the colour print head, after a couple of hundred
    A3 size prints. I do understand that they are meant to be good for only five
    sets of ink cartridges. The problem I have seen is that the inks start
    bleeding into each other, but then again, that may be due to the waste tank
    filling up.

    The BJC-7000 series did use spirit based ink, and I just ditched a four-year
    old machine due to corrosion. But I print mainly photos. I have been told,
    'Nobody thrashes a printer like you do'.

    The inks in the S-4500 are water based, so you should not have the corrosion
    problem.

    To ___ Get yourselves serviced, will you?

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Gurble

    KS Guest

    > Thanks, Woger, for your input. No, really.

    Ahh, seems that sincerity training course has really paid off you now !

    KS, Oct 7, 2003
  11. Gurble

    KS Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with this printer?

    Perhaps not quite on this printer, but my 2c worth, is that for printing
    photos, stick with Frog Prints or similar digital photo people.

    The end result (quality and cost) vs home printers (quality and materials,
    including ongoing costs) has made me switch away from printing on photo
    printers.

    I upload the photos, and they arrive in the mail within a day or two. And
    you could get a lot of photos printed for the $400 odd you're looking at
    spending on the printer.

    But hey, good luck if you do decide to buy the photo printer, even if the
    All Knowing Omnipotent (or should that be incompetent ?) WOger dictates
    otherwise.

    KS, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Gurble

    Andrew Guest

    >Yes new print head every week..
    >Print heads do not last..

    >IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    >HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    New head every week, or every 7 weeks... which is it?

    Andrew, Oct 7, 2003
  13. Gurble

    Michael Loke Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with this printer?
    >
    > http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i850.html
    >
    > I see that www.prosouth.co.nz has them on special for $419 incl, which
    > seems like a ridiculously good price given the specs (4800dpi,
    > 22/14ppm B+W/Colour, borderless photo printing), the fact that it's a
    > Canon, and the RRP of $529.
    >
    > Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    The i850 printer has fast print speeds, however the quality does not
    seem to be much better than the cheaper i350 (actually it is worse).
    Running cost is cheaper than the i350.

    No the best printer, but okay for the price.

    --
    Michael Loke
    Entier - Secure Affiliate Tracking Software

    Michael Loke, Oct 7, 2003
  14. Gurble

    Michael Loke Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with this printer?
    >
    > http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i850.html
    >
    > I see that www.prosouth.co.nz has them on special for $419 incl, which
    > seems like a ridiculously good price given the specs (4800dpi,
    > 22/14ppm B+W/Colour, borderless photo printing), the fact that it's a
    > Canon, and the RRP of $529.
    >
    > Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    The i850 printer has fast print speeds, however the quality does not
    seem to be much better than the cheaper i350 (actually it is worse).
    Running cost is cheaper than the i350.

    Not the best printer, but okay for the price.

    Michael Loke, Oct 7, 2003
  15. Gurble

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3f82a598$>, says...

    > >>Correction:
    > >>
    > >>Has anyone except Woger used one? Anyone except Woger care to comment
    > >>on any gotchas?

    > > IT WAS POSTED IN THIS NEW GROUP BY A EX CANON SERVICE CHAP THAT THE PRINT
    > > HEADS ONLY HAD A 7 WEEKS WARANTEE.

    > If you are speaking in reference to me. I actually said:
    >
    > "Warranty on a canon "head" is for 30days only. The remainder of the
    > machine is 1 year (or whatever it is normally stated). Unless they have
    > changed it from when I worked at canon. The head assembly is classified
    > as a consumable like the ink tank."
    >
    > > So stick that in your Pipe and smoke it..
    > >
    > > Some one else here posted that you had to replace the print head after 5
    > > cartridge replacements.

    > They actually said:
    >
    > " Yeah, my old man's Canon S520 needed a new black ink cartridge real
    > quick, like maybe 500 pages printed with it!. And then I found out the
    > head has to be replaced every 5 carts!"
    >

    > > I would still by a Epson as they can use any type of ink, the Canon can't,
    > > the only good thing about the Canon is the separate ink cartridges and lower
    > > running costs..

    > Lower running costs is good, is it not???
    >
    > > But in the long run could be dearer due to the print head not lasting, the Ink
    > > corrodes the heating elements in the print head..

    > The main reason for the need for replacement heads in canon units is due
    > to two main factors:
    >
    > 1) Users insisting on not using authorised canon ink, causing the jets
    > to clog and fail.
    >
    > 2) Users not using thier printers enough, and letting the ink dry up and
    > clog the jets progressivly.
    >

    > > But to me you just do not have the brains to understand all this..
    > >

    > You should have just stated these considerations rather than to get all
    > uptight about it all, and start flaming everyone.
    >
    > Having worked on all the major brand inkjet printers from a service
    > point of view, these are the considerations I would take into account.
    >
    > 1) The amount of printing you will be doing
    > 2) The quality of printing you will be doing
    > 3) The environment the printer would be used in
    >
    > In general from the number of printers I have serviced, the HP have the
    > least amount of problems overall, and cheapest to fix if there is any.
    > But they don't have the photo print quality as good as the canons and
    > epsons. Some Epsons printers suffer from broken/slipping gears and
    > clogged ink heads if not used often enough. Have an exellent print
    > quality, but the heads clogging issues are common. Canons have head
    > clogging issues and failures that will cause the printer not to power
    > on. Excellent print quality, in certain applications better than those
    > of Epson. Head issues are less on epsons and canons if they are used
    > regulary.

    So what is "regular use", if the machine is used every week is that too
    irregular.

    And piss off Woger, it was you that claimed the head had to be replaced
    every 5 carts

    Mainlander, Oct 8, 2003
  16. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:30:15 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >Has anyone had any experience with this printer?
    >
    >http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i850.html
    >
    >I see that www.prosouth.co.nz has them on special for $419 incl, which
    >seems like a ridiculously good price given the specs (4800dpi,
    >22/14ppm B+W/Colour, borderless photo printing), the fact that it's a
    >Canon, and the RRP of $529.
    >
    >Anyone used one? Any gotchas?

    Thanks to everyone who replied. Well, almost everyone. Everyone except
    the obvious exception...

    Anyway, after reading a few reviews, and following up on the comments
    here, I bit the bullet and bought the printer.

    It's absolutely excellent. It was obvious from reviews that it wasn't
    the best printer for plain text, although it seems to be fine. For
    photos, though, it's outstanding!

    I wanted a photo printer, as I like to play around with images and
    print the results. By having a photo printer, I can print an image,
    see what doesn't look quite right, change it, then print it again.

    This one is piles better than the Epson photo printer I did have. I'm
    as happy as Larry with it.

    Thanks also to Prosouth. I ordered it at 10am this morning, and it was
    delivered around lunchtime (I'm in Dunedin). Excellent service.

    All and all, an excellent printer for my needs and pricerange. I'll be
    sure to let everyone know if the print heads die after a week, or
    whether Woger was just full of sh_t as usual...

    Gurble, Oct 9, 2003