    How to disable the camera's mic?

    Thanks for any help,
    David

    nopEd@., Nov 5, 2008

  2. <nopEd@.> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I would like to try making a documentary about a lake, so will want
    > to get some ambient sounds sometimes. I'll also want to be interviewing
    > people, so will need to mic them. It seems like it would be best to
    > avoid using the camera's mic completely if possible, so as not to get
    > sounds from the recording and/or zoom mechanisms etc mixed in with things
    > I actually want to record. Is the best thing to get a little 2-4 channel
    > audio mixer, and monitor volume with headphones out of the camera? If so,
    > what sort of mics to use, and where and how to place them? What about
    > power for everything? Can the mixer be hooked up to the camera in such a
    > way that different mics are layed down on different tracks to edit later?
    > How to disable the camera's mic?

    Most cameras with external mic jack will automatically have the camera's mic
    disabled by the insertion of a plug into the jack. External mic is almost
    always the way to go.

    Probably can use headphones since the camera has automatic volume control
    (AVC). Professional cameras usually have audio level meters to avoid any
    erroneous subjective evaluation of the level. AVC substitutes for the level
    meters but it has its own problems, notably "pumping," which is the rise of
    background noises when your interview subject pauses for a breath.

    Two each left and right stereo channels are provided but the online data
    doesn't say how much you can record in real time. It's not clear to me.
    Maybe you would record some stereo ambience on a separate tape or channel;
    mix some, as needed, with the recorded video with the people's voices. If
    the stereo effect of the ambience is good, the voice in mono will be fine,
    since you're outside and room echoes will not be expected. You need to play
    with it to see what you get. Maybe the manual is more explicit than what I
    can see online. Sorry.

    Condenser mics rule. Consider the directional characteristics of whatever
    mic you select. Placement? Sorry, no psychic powers here. Try, evaluate,
    change, retry.

    Power: gel-cel batteries are my favorite. I have several in 6- and 12-volt
    flavors. They come in various physical sizes, depending on the length of
    time you want to draw some specified current. For example, a 12-volt, 8
    amp-hour battery will supply 2 amps for four hours or half an amp for 16
    hours, etc. A 12-volt 10 amp-hour battery is physically bigger but has more
    current capacity.

    Car batteries work fine, too, but they're generally heavier and risky to
    transport, compared to gel-cels, which are sealed. Gel-cels also known as
    SLAC's, which stands for sealed lead-acid cells.

    I see your GL1 runs on an odd voltage, in my opinion, 7.2 volts. If you
    don't buy any optional BP-930 long-life batteries, power the camera with its
    power adapter plugged onto a small inverter with 12-volt input, gel-cel or
    car battery. Yeah, it's a lot of gear to drag into the woods.

    Good luck. Please give us some feedback so this effort feels worthwhile.

    "Sal"

    Sal M. Onella, Nov 6, 2008

  3. nopEd@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:42:01 -0800, "Sal M. Onella" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >time you want to draw some specified current. For example, a 12-volt, 8
    >amp-hour battery will supply 2 amps for four hours or half an amp for 16
    >hours, etc. A 12-volt 10 amp-hour battery is physically bigger but has more
    >current capacity.
    >
    >Car batteries work fine, too, but they're generally heavier and risky to
    >transport, compared to gel-cels, which are sealed. Gel-cels also known as
    >SLAC's, which stands for sealed lead-acid cells.
    >
    >I see your GL1 runs on an odd voltage, in my opinion, 7.2 volts. If you
    >don't buy any optional BP-930 long-life batteries, power the camera with its
    >power adapter plugged onto a small inverter with 12-volt input, gel-cel or
    >car battery. Yeah, it's a lot of gear to drag into the woods.
    >
    >Good luck. Please give us some feedback so this effort feels worthwhile.

    Thank you for all the helpful explanations. I'm still making notes and
    trying to learn the basics, so I don't really have anything to share. I
    haven't even gotten started yet. I did take some notes on a tutorial
    by Larry Jordan though, and was thinking about posting them to see
    if they could help anyone. Maybe other people have done similar things,
    and we could compare notes, etc. I'm planning on doing the same
    for the second tutorial...the first is "Essential Editing" and the second
    is "Essential Effects".

    dh@., Nov 10, 2008