    Does anyone know of a blog or web site specific to the G9?

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Jul 8, 2008

  2. Al Dykes

    Neil Guest

    In message <g4vqvj$rp0$>, Al Dykes <>
    writes

    >What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the literature I
    >can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store says 16GB.
    >
    >I just bought a G9. Very nice and the controls seem nicely done, but
    >there is a learning curve.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a blog or web site specific to the G9?

    You've probably already found this, but there's a review at:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

    "The G9 is compatible with standard SD cards up to 2GB"

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh
    Neil, Jul 8, 2008

  3. Al Dykes

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message

    > What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the literature I
    > can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store says 16GB.
    >
    > I just bought a G9. Very nice and the controls seem nicely done, but
    > there is a learning curve.

    I use an 8Gb Sandisk without any problems.
    (except that I had to get a new cardreader for the PC!)

    --
    Jeff R.
    Jeff R., Jul 8, 2008
  4. Al Dykes

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Al Dykes) wrote in

    > What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the literature
    > I can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store says 16GB.

    Canon's current products which take SD cards are all ->supposed to
    support SDHC, which goes up to 32GB (just be sure you're using a real
    SDHC card, rather than an out of spec SD card).

    Even my old S3 is supposed to take SDHC.

    The Canon USA Web site has this info here:

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportIndexAct

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jul 8, 2008
  5. Al Dykes

    sobriquet Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:19:16 +0100, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >In message <g4vqvj$rp0$>, Al Dykes <>
    >writes
    >>

    >>What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the literature I
    >>can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store says 16GB.
    >>
    >>I just bought a G9. Very nice and the controls seem nicely done, but
    >>there is a learning curve.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a blog or web site specific to the G9?
    >>

    >You've probably already found this, but there's a review at:
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/
    >
    >"The G9 is compatible with standard SD cards up to 2GB"
    >
    >Regards,

    If you ask Canon, they will probably say 2GB max. They also said that
    when I mailed them to ask about the max SD capacity in a powershot
    a720. Yet, I'm using an 8 gb SDHC card in it without any problems.
    I think it's best to ask in a Canon usersforum to see what brands and
    capacity SD cards people are using in that a specific camera model.
    If one brand doesn't work, that doesn't mean that another brand won't
    work either.
    sobriquet, Jul 8, 2008
  6. Al Dykes

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > (Al Dykes) wrote in
    >
    >> What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the literature
    >> I can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store says 16GB.

    > Canon's current products which take SD cards are all ->supposed to
    > support SDHC, which goes up to 32GB (just be sure you're using a real
    > SDHC card, rather than an out of spec SD card).
    >
    > Even my old S3 is supposed to take SDHC.
    >
    > The Canon USA Web site has this info here:
    >
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportIndexAct

    The only point I would add is it's not sufficient to plug the card in
    and check it works ok. You need to fill the card until the camera
    indicates full then verify the full capacity is being used.
    The 2GB number suggests the camera is formatting fat16. For what it's
    worth, my old A95 seems to be happy with a few pics with a fat32
    formatted card. I don't even own a large capacity card (CF) to do much
    of a test.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 8, 2008
  7. Al Dykes

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Dave Cohen) wrote in

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >> (Al Dykes) wrote in
    >>
    >>> What's the biggest SD card I can use in the G9? All the
    >>> literature I can find says 2GB but the guy in the camera store
    >>> says 16GB.

    >> Canon's current products which take SD cards are all ->supposed to
    >> support SDHC, which goes up to 32GB (just be sure you're using a
    >> real SDHC card, rather than an out of spec SD card).
    >>
    >> Even my old S3 is supposed to take SDHC.
    >>
    >> The Canon USA Web site has this info here:
    >>
    >> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportIndexAct
    >>

    > The only point I would add is it's not sufficient to plug the card
    > in and check it works ok. You need to fill the card until the camera
    > indicates full then verify the full capacity is being used.

    My S3 always shows the (estimated) number of photos the card will hold
    based on the amount of space it thinks is available and the image
    format you currently have selected.

    > The 2GB number suggests the camera is formatting fat16. For what
    > it's worth, my old A95 seems to be happy with a few pics with a
    > fat32 formatted card. I don't even own a large capacity card (CF) to
    > do much of a test.

    I don't have an SDHC card either, but I'd think that formatting the
    card in the camera would produce the optimum layout, but that's just
    how I'd do it :)

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jul 8, 2008
  8. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Neil Pugh <> wrote:
    >In message <>, sobriquet
    ><> writes
    >>
    >>If you ask Canon, they will probably say 2GB max. They also said that
    >>when I mailed them to ask about the max SD capacity in a powershot
    >>a720. Yet, I'm using an 8 gb SDHC card in it without any problems.
    >>I think it's best to ask in a Canon usersforum to see what brands and
    >>capacity SD cards people are using in that a specific camera model.
    >>If one brand doesn't work, that doesn't mean that another brand won't
    >>work either.
    >>

    > From Canon's website (referring to video recording on the G9):
    >
    >http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/dcp/psg9/index-e.html
    >
    >"Even if the clip size has not reached 4 GB, recording will stop at the
    >moment the clip length reaches 1 hour. Depending on the volume and data
    >writing speed of the memory card, recording will stop after one hour of
    >continuous recording even if the recorded data volume has not reached 4
    >GB."
    >
    >and from here:
    >
    >http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=428174
    >
    >"I just went through this query myself while in the final stage of
    >buying the camera.
    >I too could not find the answer anywhere online. I contacted the rep at
    >the store where I bought it from and asked him to find out for me. I
    >don't know where he sourced the info, but all of them were extremely
    >knowledgeable about their products. ( thecamerastore.com in Calgary
    >Alberta)
    >
    >I was told that the limit will be as previously mentioned here - up to
    >32 gig on the SDHC."

    And the sales rep in my camera store said 16GB. Go figure.

    At least the 4GB card is working fine. I'm looking for the biggest
    slow (i.e. cheap) card for video work. The 1, 2 or 4GB limit on any
    given segment isn't a limitation (for me) because I can just hit the
    record button again and only lose a couple seconds.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Jul 11, 2008