    G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
    resolution of course).

    ->HS

    H.S., Oct 16, 2007

  2. H.S.

    Guest

    On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
    > their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
    > wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
    >
    > I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
    > G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
    > resolution of course).
    >
    > ->HS

    G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor
    (7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
    than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
    sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

    , Oct 16, 2007

  3. H.S.

    H.S. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
    >> their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
    >> wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
    >>
    >> I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
    >> G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
    >> resolution of course).
    >>
    >> ->HS

    > G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

    hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
    I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
    the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?

    ->HS

    H.S., Oct 16, 2007
  4. H.S. wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <> wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
    >>> their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
    >>> wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
    >>>
    >>> I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
    >>> G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
    >>> resolution of course).
    >>>
    >>> ->HS

    >> G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

    > hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
    > I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
    > the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?
    >
    > ->HS
    >

    >> (7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
    >> than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
    >> sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

    More info at:

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 16, 2007
  5. H.S.

    H.S. Guest

    > H.S. wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

    >> hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
    >> I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
    >> the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?
    >>
    >> ->HS
    >>

    >>> (7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
    >>> than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
    >>> sensor in most compact P&S cameras.
    >>>

    > More info at:
    >
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter
    >
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary
    >
    > Roger

    Great sites! Thanks a ton for the references, they are a nice read. They
    clarified many doubts I had earlier.

    regards,
    ->HS

    H.S., Oct 17, 2007
  6. Sent to rec.photo.digital

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 17, 2007