    I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this camera.
    Thanks in advance for any information.

    John, May 25, 2008

  2. John

    Jeff R. Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:yp3_j.3874$...
    >I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    >which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this camera.
    >Thanks in advance for any information.

    Can't make any comparisons, since I've only ever used CS3 (which works
    fine).

    ....but...

    JPG also works fine for me.
    I only use RAW if I can see that the scene is marginal (bright sun, deep
    shadows etc)

    Sometimes I'll even do a bracketed threesome rather than use RAW, such is my
    dislike for the format. (Or, more accurately, my *like* for the G9's JPGs)

    YMMV

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., May 25, 2008

  3. John

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:39:05 -0400, John wrote:

    > I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    > which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this
    > camera. Thanks in advance for any information.

    ufraw is free and it allows you to do basic manipulation with the full
    data.

    ray, May 25, 2008
  4. John

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:39:05 -0400, "John" <> wrote:
    : I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    : which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this camera.
    : Thanks in advance for any information.

    Does the G9 use the .CR2 RAW format? If so, you may be able to use Digital
    Photo Professional.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 25, 2008
  5. John

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:39:05 -0400, "John" <> wrote:
    > : I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    > : which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this
    > camera.
    > : Thanks in advance for any information.
    >
    > Does the G9 use the .CR2 RAW format? If so, you may be able to use Digital
    > Photo Professional.
    >
    > Bob

    Don't think so.

    Even with CS3 I had to download a new plug-in to decode the G9 RAWs.

    (why they can't standardise the flippin' format - new sensors
    notwithstanding - is beyond me)

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., May 25, 2008
  6. John

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:14:08 +1000, "Jeff R." <> wrote:
    :
    : "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:39:05 -0400, "John" <> wrote:
    : > : I just purchased a Canon G9 and am interested in hearing comments about
    : > : which (other than Breeze Browser) raw softwear works best with this
    : > : camera. Thanks in advance for any information.
    : >
    : > Does the G9 use the .CR2 RAW format? If so, you may be able to use Digital
    : > Photo Professional.
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : Don't think so.
    :
    : Even with CS3 I had to download a new plug-in to decode the G9 RAWs.

    The point isn't that you had to download a new CS3 plugin. It's whether it's
    the same plugin you would have needed for RAW files from an XTi or a 40D. If
    it is, it probably means that the G9 uses .CR2 files that can be processed
    using DPP. The Canon site is maddeningly silent on this point; I couldn't find
    any mention of the specific RAW format used by the G9.

    : (why they can't standardise the flippin' format - new sensors
    : notwithstanding - is beyond me)

    It's beyond me too.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 25, 2008
  7. In message <4838e82a$0$1026$>, Jeff R.
    <> writes

    >(why they can't standardise the flippin' format - new sensors
    >notwithstanding - is beyond me)

    It's RAW data. If there was an industry-standard RAW file format the
    camera manufacturers would have to convert the internal RAW data into
    this "standard" RAW format, throwing away any information the sensor
    returned that didn't fit the format. They could call it, I don't know,
    TIFF maybe? PNG, that's a good one!
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, May 26, 2008
  8. John

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:14:06 +0100, Robert Sneddon wrote:

    > In message <4838e82a$0$1026$>, Jeff R.
    > <> writes
    >
    >>(why they can't standardise the flippin' format - new sensors
    >>notwithstanding - is beyond me)

    > It's RAW data. If there was an industry-standard RAW file format the
    > camera manufacturers would have to convert the internal RAW data into
    > this "standard" RAW format, throwing away any information the sensor
    > returned that didn't fit the format. They could call it, I don't know,
    > TIFF maybe? PNG, that's a good one!

    There is a more or less 'standard' it's Adobe's DNG (digital negative).
    The way the tiff standard is written, you can include anything in it - raw
    data, meta data, previews, etc. Several manufacturers raw formats are
    basically tiff based.

    ray, May 26, 2008
  9. John

    Robert Coe Guest

    wrote:
    : In message <4838e82a$0$1026$>, Jeff R.
    : <> writes
    :
    : >(why they can't standardise the flippin' format - new sensors
    : >notwithstanding - is beyond me)
    :
    : It's RAW data. If there was an industry-standard RAW file format the
    : camera manufacturers would have to convert the internal RAW data into
    : this "standard" RAW format, throwing away any information the sensor
    : returned that didn't fit the format. They could call it, I don't know,
    : TIFF maybe? PNG, that's a good one!

    You're missing the point. Our complaint isn't that there's no standard across
    manufacturers; it's that Canon itself seems to let differences trickle in from
    model to model.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 26, 2008
  10. In message <>, Robert Coe
    <> writes
    >On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:14:06 +0100, Robert Sneddon <>
    >wrote:

    >: It's RAW data. If there was an industry-standard RAW file format the
    >: camera manufacturers would have to convert the internal RAW data into
    >: this "standard" RAW format,
    >
    >You're missing the point. Our complaint isn't that there's no standard across
    >manufacturers; it's that Canon itself seems to let differences trickle in from
    >model to model.

    Different sensor systems and image processing electronics in different
    models of cameras will mean different RAW data structures, even within a
    given manufacturer's product lines. A RAW file from an old 1Mpix CMOS
    sensor camera will not have the same structure as the RAW file from a
    Foveon patterned CCD sensor, even if they were made by the same company.

    I'd like to see more openness by the manufacturers, publishing their
    RAW file formats and making them open-source so third parties can easily
    write file converters and other utilities. I don't expect it will happen
    soon though.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, May 26, 2008