    mAH as the original (760).
    Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    Thanks
    John, May 3, 2008

  2. "John" <> wrote:
    >I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >without damage to the camera.

    In general: yes.

    >Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >mAH as the original (760).

    Different capacities will not damage the camera. Often even OEMs offer
    batteries with larger capacities for extended batterie life. Not so much
    for still cameras because of size limitations but very popular for e.g.
    video cameras.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, May 3, 2008

  3. John

    measekite Guest

    John wrote:
    > I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    > proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    > without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    > mAH as the original (760).
    > Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    > Thanks

    The answer is confusing. The answer is YES and the answer is NO.

    There have been numerous problems with batteries like this catching fire
    and/or exploding. Batteries of this type have had some problems even
    from OEM mfg. That said there are many mfg and distributors from China
    selling batteries they claim are exact replacements that are cheap and
    problematic. There are also a few (usually the more expensive ones)
    that may be ok.

    The real issue is to tell them apart. That is what is difficult. One
    way for quality is by the source. If BH Photo (a trusted reseller) has
    had experience selling a certain named replacement and has not had
    problems then the chances are better that the battery is ok. But you
    may find that the savings is not that great between that and the OEM
    real thing.

    If something is way less expensive then I would beware.
    measekite, May 3, 2008
  4. John

    canon.user Guest

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

    >I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >mAH as the original (760).
    >Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >Thanks

    My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    of the genuine Canon.
    canon.user, May 3, 2008
  5. John

    Dave Cohen Guest

    canon.user wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    > wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >
    >> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >> mAH as the original (760).
    >> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >> Thanks

    > My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    > months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    > of the genuine Canon.

    Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
    suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
    with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, May 3, 2008
  6. John

    canon.user Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:37 GMT 'Dave Cohen'
    wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

    >canon.user wrote:
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    >> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >>> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >>> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >>> mAH as the original (760).
    >>> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>> Thanks

    >> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >> of the genuine Canon.
    >>

    >Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
    >suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
    >with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
    >Dave Cohen

    The reason I have a spare is that the battery installed runs flat
    just when I need it :-(
    Recharging it every night is something I'd forget.

    My spare cost me about 6.50 pounds sterling.
    canon.user, May 3, 2008
  7. John

    newshound Guest

    "canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    > wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >
    >>I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >>proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >>without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >>mAH as the original (760).
    >>Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>Thanks

    > My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    > months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    > of the genuine Canon.

    I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
    I've not had a dud yet. I check the feedback
    newshound, May 3, 2008
  8. John

    measekite Guest

    canon.user wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    > wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >

    >> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >> mAH as the original (760).
    >> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    > months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    > of the genuine Canon.

    While it is nice to save about 20% and notwithstanding it did work fine
    you still do not know what it really is and if it would have a higher
    propensity for a fire or explosion. It seems that 20% may not be enough
    but at the same time if it was much cheaper it would really be suspect.
    measekite, May 3, 2008
  9. John

    measekite Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > canon.user wrote:
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    >> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They
    >>> are proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less
    >>> expensive brand without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course,
    >>> that they are the same mAH as the original (760).
    >>> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>> Thanks

    >> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >> of the genuine Canon.
    >>

    > Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and
    > don't suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth
    > bothering with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single
    > charge.
    > Dave Cohen

    That depends on if you are going someplace and the quantity of shots are
    expected to exceed the capability of one battery. In some cases you may
    even want 3 batteries or even more depending where you are going.
    measekite, May 3, 2008
  10. John

    measekite Guest

    newshound wrote:
    > "canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    >> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >>

    >>> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >>> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >>> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >>> mAH as the original (760).
    >>> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >> of the genuine Canon.
    >>

    > I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
    > I've not had a dud yet.

    A dud is not the issue. A potential fire or explosion would be the concern.

    measekite, May 3, 2008
  11. John

    Archibald Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:37 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >canon.user wrote:
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    >> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >>> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >>> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >>> mAH as the original (760).
    >>> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>> Thanks

    >> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >> of the genuine Canon.
    >>

    >Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
    >suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
    >with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
    >Dave Cohen

    If the G9 is like the G7, when the low battery warning comes on, you
    have only a few shots left (less than 10), so you can get caught if
    you are doing a lot of shooting and run out of juice without a spare.

    It's a lot different with the Rebel XTi (many many shots left), which
    uses the same battery as the G7. So must be designed that way by Canon
    to encourage you to buy spare batteries... generic of course.

    Archibald
    Archibald, May 4, 2008
  12. John

    canon.user Guest

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:54:56 +0100 'newshound'
    wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

    >"canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
    >> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >>
    >>>I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
    >>>proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
    >>>without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
    >>>mAH as the original (760).
    >>>Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    >>>Thanks

    >> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >> of the genuine Canon.
    >>

    >I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
    >I've not had a dud yet. I check the feedback

    I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
    7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.
    canon.user, May 4, 2008
  13. John

    measekite Guest

    canon.user wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:54:56 +0100 'newshound'
    > wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
    >

    >> "canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >>> of the genuine Canon.
    >>>

    >> I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
    >> I've not had a dud yet. I check the feedback
    >>

    > I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
    > 7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.

    Thats one of the features about the Canon S5 IS. I get my spare
    batteries anyplace that sells a battery. But I just purchased 2 packs
    of 4 AA 15 minute rechargeable for $10.00 a pack at Staples. I carry 2
    sets with me. I rarely use the flash and LCS, using the viewfinder most
    of the time as I should for sharper photos even with IS and get over 400
    shots a charge.

    On my last shoot I got 360 photos (maxed out a 2GB card and was still
    going. I do not know what I had left in the battery since there is not
    meter. There is a firmware 3rd party download I read about that saves
    to the card (must be loaded each time camera is switched on but can also
    be made semi permenant) but I do not know if there are any
    consequences. It is a free download and the claim is it is non
    destructive but I have not researched this to be a fact or not. One of
    the new features is a battery meter like a fuel guage in a car. I do
    not know if it is accurate either.
    measekite, May 4, 2008
  14. canon.user wrote:
    []
    > I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
    > 7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.

    Yes, indeed!

    Good prices, good service, and apparently good stuff from 7dayshop.
    Li-ion batteries from them for various cameras have been fine, and had
    indistinguishable performance from the much more expensive (and highly
    profitable) manufacturers' own-brand.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, May 4, 2008
  15. ? "Archibald" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:37 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >
    >>canon.user wrote:

    >>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
    >>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
    >>> of the genuine Canon.
    >>>

    >>Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
    >>suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
    >>with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
    >>Dave Cohen

    > If the G9 is like the G7, when the low battery warning comes on, you
    > have only a few shots left (less than 10), so you can get caught if
    > you are doing a lot of shooting and run out of juice without a spare.
    >
    > It's a lot different with the Rebel XTi (many many shots left), which
    > uses the same battery as the G7. So must be designed that way by Canon
    > to encourage you to buy spare batteries... generic of course.

    My P&S nytech www.nytech.de came with 2 li ion packs, charger and 512 MB
    card... I have it for a year, and have taken 530 photos. The batteries don't
    have extremely long life, several months with my current usage.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 4, 2008