    have a memory card reader, so using the card outside of the camera
    isn't possible for me.
    , Dec 25, 2006

  2. Henry Guest

    wrote:

    > Just bought a Canon G7. One problem. Once I move images out of the
    > camera to my PC, I can't copy them back to my camera. What I do is
    > open Windows Explorer. Copy the pictures that I want to copy. Go to
    > the drive named Canon G7. Right click, but 'paste' is greyed out. So
    > I can't paste.

    You may also have noted that using Windows Explorer, you can't
    format the memory card or do a checkdisk. Those are greyed as well.

    The reason is that Canon cameras don't let you access the memory card
    as if it were a drive. It uses a protocol or a set of commands to
    communicate between the camera and the computer.

    Windows has incorporated a routine to send commands to cameras
    like Canon using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). They fetch the
    images this way and then display them in Microsoft Explorer.
    This makes it appear that you are accessing the images directly
    from the memory card, but you are not.

    Windows does not have the proper commands built in to put images
    back into the camera. For that you need to use the supplied Canon
    software that came on the CD bundled with your camera. That means
    installing the camera drivers and installing Zoombrowser.
    Henry, Dec 25, 2006

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    Henry wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just bought a Canon G7. One problem. Once I move images out of the
    >> camera to my PC, I can't copy them back to my camera. What I do is
    >> open Windows Explorer. Copy the pictures that I want to copy. Go to
    >> the drive named Canon G7. Right click, but 'paste' is greyed out. So
    >> I can't paste.

    > You may also have noted that using Windows Explorer, you can't
    > format the memory card or do a checkdisk. Those are greyed as well.
    >
    > The reason is that Canon cameras don't let you access the memory card
    > as if it were a drive. It uses a protocol or a set of commands to
    > communicate between the camera and the computer.
    >
    > Windows has incorporated a routine to send commands to cameras
    > like Canon using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). They fetch the
    > images this way and then display them in Microsoft Explorer.
    > This makes it appear that you are accessing the images directly
    > from the memory card, but you are not.
    >
    > Windows does not have the proper commands built in to put images
    > back into the camera. For that you need to use the supplied Canon
    > software that came on the CD bundled with your camera. That means
    > installing the camera drivers and installing Zoombrowser.

    Nicely explained. My little Soansa mp3 player works same way using
    something called MTP. Both for the camera and the player, the directory
    structure shown in windows explorer is not same as shown when using the
    device not in windows. The easiest way to put pictures in camera is to
    use a card reader to copy to the picture directory. Although canon
    maintain a not too easy to follow algorithm for directory names, the
    couple of time I've violated the rules (to fix file numbering), the
    camera didn't seem to mind. I'm not sure what may ensue if you edit
    pictures outside camera, but you won't hurt anything by experimenting.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 25, 2006
  4. ray Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 09:48:25 -0600, Henry wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just bought a Canon G7. One problem. Once I move images out of the
    >> camera to my PC, I can't copy them back to my camera. What I do is
    >> open Windows Explorer. Copy the pictures that I want to copy. Go to
    >> the drive named Canon G7. Right click, but 'paste' is greyed out. So
    >> I can't paste.

    > You may also have noted that using Windows Explorer, you can't
    > format the memory card or do a checkdisk. Those are greyed as well.
    >
    > The reason is that Canon cameras don't let you access the memory card
    > as if it were a drive. It uses a protocol or a set of commands to
    > communicate between the camera and the computer.
    >
    > Windows has incorporated a routine to send commands to cameras
    > like Canon using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). They fetch the
    > images this way and then display them in Microsoft Explorer.
    > This makes it appear that you are accessing the images directly
    > from the memory card, but you are not.
    >
    > Windows does not have the proper commands built in to put images
    > back into the camera. For that you need to use the supplied Canon
    > software that came on the CD bundled with your camera. That means
    > installing the camera drivers and installing Zoombrowser.

    Boy am I glad I use Linux!
    ray, Dec 25, 2006
  5. Celcius Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just bought a Canon G7. One problem. Once I move images out of the
    > camera to my PC, I can't copy them back to my camera. What I do is
    > open Windows Explorer. Copy the pictures that I want to copy. Go to
    > the drive named Canon G7. Right click, but 'paste' is greyed out. So
    > I can't paste.
    >
    > I want to do this so I can show the pictures on TV for my family to
    > see. Does anyone know anything about this? Can it be done? I don't
    > have a memory card reader, so using the card outside of the camera
    > isn't possible for me.

    You can put the images back into the camera provided you use a card reader.
    I even did this with my wife's photos into my camera. However, her camera
    was a smaller model. She has a point and shoot and I have a Rebel XT. In the
    same manner, I could not transfer mine into her camera because the size of
    my photos is much too large.
    Marcel
    Celcius, Dec 25, 2006
  6. Chuck Guest

    Some cameras will accept a memory card with computer saved JPG files. They
    may or may not be able to properly read them.
    Not having a card reader is less than ideal. Turns out that downloading
    pictures from a camera is slower than using a decent card reader, and
    naturally, uses up the camera battery. I occasionally use a PC based camera
    control program, so I invested a few more additional dollars in a camera
    power supply.

    Chuck, Dec 25, 2006
  7. Scubabix Guest

    OK, after reading the responses, I have one, probably stupid question. Why
    would you want to put an image back into the camera after downloading it in
    the first place?
    Rob

    Scubabix, Dec 25, 2006
  8. THO Guest

    In article <KpSjh.39192$>,
    Henry <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Just bought a Canon G7. One problem. Once I move images out of the
    > > camera to my PC, I can't copy them back to my camera. What I do is
    > > open Windows Explorer. Copy the pictures that I want to copy. Go to
    > > the drive named Canon G7. Right click, but 'paste' is greyed out. So
    > > I can't paste.

    > You may also have noted that using Windows Explorer, you can't
    > format the memory card or do a checkdisk. Those are greyed as well.
    >
    > The reason is that Canon cameras don't let you access the memory card
    > as if it were a drive. It uses a protocol or a set of commands to
    > communicate between the camera and the computer.
    >
    > Windows has incorporated a routine to send commands to cameras
    > like Canon using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). They fetch the
    > images this way and then display them in Microsoft Explorer.
    > This makes it appear that you are accessing the images directly
    > from the memory card, but you are not.
    >
    > Windows does not have the proper commands built in to put images
    > back into the camera. For that you need to use the supplied Canon
    > software that came on the CD bundled with your camera. That means
    > installing the camera drivers and installing Zoombrowser.

    The funny thing is that Canon wants us to think this is progress when
    every user thinks it is a bug or a stupid omission. Older cameras
    supported reading and writing to the card from within OS X and Windows
    so why does Canon and other manufacturers think this is an improvement?
    THO, Dec 25, 2006
  9. THO Guest

    In article <>,
    "Scubabix" <> wrote:

    > OK, after reading the responses, I have one, probably stupid question. Why
    > would you want to put an image back into the camera after downloading it in
    > the first place?
    > Rob

    I'm not the OP but I suspect that he's grabbing his best shots from
    multiple shooting sessions and would like to put them back on the camera
    so he can connect his camera to the TV to show his "slideshow". It's the
    new version of our old Kodak Carousel shows. :)

    Do visitors still fall asleep when seeing hundreds of family pictures as
    they used to with slideshows? ;)

    THO, Dec 25, 2006
  10. Mark B. Guest

    "THO" <.23.invalid> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Scubabix" <> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, after reading the responses, I have one, probably stupid question.
    >> Why
    >> would you want to put an image back into the camera after downloading it
    >> in
    >> the first place?
    >> Rob

    > I'm not the OP but I suspect that he's grabbing his best shots from
    > multiple shooting sessions and would like to put them back on the camera
    > so he can connect his camera to the TV to show his "slideshow". It's the
    > new version of our old Kodak Carousel shows. :)
    >
    > Do visitors still fall asleep when seeing hundreds of family pictures as
    > they used to with slideshows? ;)

    When they're done like that, I imagine they would. Done properly with an
    appropriate soundtrack and even video clips, a slide show can be much more
    interesting.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 26, 2006
  11. m II Guest

    ray wrote:

    >> Windows does not have the proper commands built in to put images
    >> back into the camera. For that you need to use the supplied Canon
    >> software that came on the CD bundled with your camera. That means
    >> installing the camera drivers and installing Zoombrowser.

    > Boy am I glad I use Linux!

    Same here. The support for newer USB printers could be better, though.

    mike
    m II, Dec 26, 2006
  12. Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:50:09 -0500, THO <.23.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Do visitors still fall asleep when seeing hundreds of family pictures as
    >they used to with slideshows? ;)

    My wife came back from Australia/New Zealand with thousands of images.
    We put about 500 of them on a DVD to take to a party, and it ran on
    the host's DVD player, and several people watched them all.
    Then, we put them on her PDA, and people watched them at work.
    So, evidently, slide shows without narration, or music, or even fancy
    transitions, are wtill watchable, if the watchers are interested.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 26, 2006