    Anyones! suggestions?

    Thanks.
    , Jul 28, 2005

  2. Brian Baird Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I recently bought Canon G6 from Dell, and was testing its different
    > features. When I use the viewfinder instead of LCD, the center of the
    > picture is always off the focus point where I set the center of cross
    > in viewfinder.
    >
    > Anyones! suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    That's parallax error. You'll get that with any non-SLR camera.

    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Jul 28, 2005

  3. writes:
    >I recently bought Canon G6 from Dell, and was testing its different
    >features. When I use the viewfinder instead of LCD, the center of the
    >picture is always off the focus point where I set the center of cross
    >in viewfinder.

    In general, the optical viewfinders on point & shoot cameras are not
    very accurate. This applies to both film and digital cameras.

    When the subject is at infinity, the centre cross in the viewfinder
    ought to be roughly aligned with the focusing area. (The G6 should
    show you the focus area precisely on the LCD if you turn off AiAf).
    And the field of view shown by the finder should be *included* in what's
    shown on the LCD and actually taken, but it won't be identical. Optical
    finders usually show only 80-90% of the full image frame, and it's not
    necessarily precisely centred either - particularly for zoom optical
    finders.

    So you should expect that if you see something in the optical finder, it
    ought to be in the captured image, but there will be additional material
    at the sides. You'll have to crop the image to get exactly what you saw
    in the finder. If you want to frame the shot exactly during shooting,
    you'll need to use the LCD.

    All of the above applies for subjects at infinity. As subjects get
    closer to the camera, there's also a parallax error because the finder
    is above the lens and usually to one side as well.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jul 28, 2005
  4. wilt Guest

    Parallax error between viewfinder and lens happens at closer distances
    due to the offset of the viewfinder lens vs. the picture taking lens.
    Before blaming parallax, try to focus on a far away object (100+ ')
    rather than one a few feet away. \

    --Wilt
    wilt, Jul 28, 2005
  5. Guest

    All: Thanks for your suggestions. After posting this message, I did
    some research and found about parallax issue. Before Canon G6, I was
    using Olympus D-40, and never had any issue with parallax while using
    viewfinder even while shooting at very closer distances.

    Well, I think I'll have to live with that now. Just a point, now when I
    compare D-40 and G6 pictures, O'man, D40 is a awesome, very compact and
    excellent pictures :)
    , Jul 28, 2005
  6. Dave Cohen Guest

    Most of the people I see using digital seem to use the lcd to compose. I
    find this awkward plus in sunlight I just can't see much on my A95. Except
    for macro shots, I use the viewfinder. If shooting portrait distance I just
    leave a tad more room above the head. I know if I fill the viewfinder there
    will be a little left over that will take care of aspect ratio cropping if I
    make a quick print without editing. It's all a matter of personal taste and
    unlike the equivalent film models you get to choose.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 28, 2005
  7. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recently bought Canon G6 from Dell, and was testing its different
    > features. When I use the viewfinder instead of LCD, the center of the
    > picture is always off the focus point where I set the center of cross
    > in viewfinder.
    >
    > Anyones! suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use the LCD. Look at the viewfinder from the front of the camera, and look
    at the lens. It should be obvious why you don't get an image of what you're
    looking at. The LCD however, sees exactly what the lens sees. I NEVER use
    the viewfinder on a portable digicam for that reason.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 28, 2005