Canon G6 or Pansonic FZ20

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tara Keegan, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Tara Keegan

    Tara Keegan Guest

    Hi. I will be buying my first digital camera, and I want to start with
    a good one.

    My selection criteria-

    -Non SLR but full manual control like an SLR
    -Excellent image quality
    -RAW files
    -Flash shoe
    -5 Megapixels or higher
    -4X zoom or higher, but optics are more important than zoom range

    I read reviews for most of the cameras available now and I have
    narrowed it down to the Canon G6 and the Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    It might take someone whose used both cameras to answer this question,
    but here goes. Which camera delivers better images in the 35-140 range
    of the zoom?

    I know that the FZ20 has a much longer zoom (does this degrade image
    quality?) and that it has IS (a plus, but not required for me), and
    I've also heard that the FZ20 does not do very well indoors, where the
    G6 is supposed to be about as good as it gets for a non SLR. My
    primary concern is image quality in the 4x zoom range of the G6.

    Thanks.

    --

    Tara Keegan
    Tara Keegan, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Tara Keegan

    Fyimo Guest

    I have a Canon 20D and my wife has the G6. It takes awesome pictures
    and she loves it. It has excellent color and contrast control and the
    lens is fast and very sharp. I even use it when we just want general
    pictures as my 20D usually has a 400mm 5.6 lens on it for wildlife
    photography.

    Highly recommended.

    Art
    Fyimo, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Tara Keegan

    rafe bustin Guest

    On 25 Feb 2005 03:38:03 GMT, "Tara Keegan" <>
    wrote:

    >I read reviews for most of the cameras available now and I have
    >narrowed it down to the Canon G6 and the Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    I don't know if this is helpful or relevant
    at all, but you can mark me as a happy user
    (still) of an ancient (two year old) Canon G2.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Tara Keegan

    Peter Guest

    I do not know either camera, but have been fairly satisfied with the G3 for
    about 18 months. My main gripes are slow response and the wide minimum
    aperture (f8).

    I would recommend you look at on of the more comprehensive review sites,
    such as DP Review on http://www.dpreview.com/.

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Tara Keegan

    Mark B. Guest

    "Peter" <2s.com> wrote in message
    >I do not know either camera, but have been fairly satisfied with the G3 for
    >about 18 months. My main gripes are slow response and the wide minimum
    >aperture (f8).

    You'll find that with all digicams. Some may have a better response time
    than others, but the tiny sensor dictates that the aperture can't really be
    any smaller.

    Mark
    Mark B., Feb 25, 2005
  6. Tara Keegan

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi. I will be buying my first digital camera, and I want to start with
    > a good one.
    >
    > My selection criteria-
    >
    > -Non SLR but full manual control like an SLR
    > -Excellent image quality
    > -RAW files
    > -Flash shoe
    > -5 Megapixels or higher
    > -4X zoom or higher, but optics are more important than zoom range
    >
    > I read reviews for most of the cameras available now and I have
    > narrowed it down to the Canon G6 and the Pansonic Lumix FZ20.
    >
    > It might take someone whose used both cameras to answer this question,
    > but here goes. Which camera delivers better images in the 35-140 range
    > of the zoom?
    >
    > I know that the FZ20 has a much longer zoom (does this degrade image
    > quality?) and that it has IS (a plus, but not required for me), and
    > I've also heard that the FZ20 does not do very well indoors, where the
    > G6 is supposed to be about as good as it gets for a non SLR. My
    > primary concern is image quality in the 4x zoom range of the G6.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you can find a Sony F-717, you will have one of the best 5mp non SLR
    digitals ever made.

    The lens is SUPERB, the picture quality is great, and the only thing on your
    list it doesn't have is RAW files.

    Funny thing though, when I used it as my primary camera, I never felt the
    nedd for raw, it was only after I bought the F-828 that RAW became a
    requirement. Do I wish it had RAW- YES, Did I NEED it to have RAW- NO. The
    camera works so well in manual mode that I got very few pictures that would
    have needed "rescuing" in the RAW converter.

    NOTE:
    If you do go this route AVOID the 707, it had a LOT of problems, mostly in
    the color renering.. Reds not right, Greens not right ect.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Tara Keegan

    Peter Guest

    Yes - thanks - I do see that.

    Peter, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Tara Keegan

    cycl0ne184 Guest

    "Tara Keegan" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi. I will be buying my first digital camera, and I want to start with
    > a good one.
    >
    > My selection criteria-
    >
    > -Non SLR but full manual control like an SLR
    > -Excellent image quality
    > -RAW files
    > -Flash shoe
    > -5 Megapixels or higher
    > -4X zoom or higher, but optics are more important than zoom range
    >
    > I read reviews for most of the cameras available now and I have
    > narrowed it down to the Canon G6 and the Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    FZ20 doesn't do RAW.

    Tony
    cycl0ne184, Mar 23, 2005
  9. Tara Keegan