    Can someone advice me on these models, if you have any experience with
    these models.

    thanks in advance

    Emre, Nov 5, 2003

  2. "Emre" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns942A79BBEEF5Femretuvaynlwanadooco@194.134.35.29...

    > I am planning to buy my first digital camera and i can't decide between
    > canon G5, Sony DSC-V1 and Olympus C5050.
    >
    > I do care a lot about picture quality, batery life and robustness of body.
    > Can someone advice me on these models, if you have any experience with
    > these models.

    Hi,

    I've just bought myself a Sony DSC-V1 and I'm very happy with it so far.

    My final choice was also down to the Sony V1 and Canon G5. My main aim was
    to find a camera with good manual control of shutter speed, aperture, flash,
    as well as being as small as possible with the best picture quality. Both of
    these cameras fit very well with these requirements.

    However, the sony won in the end as it was the smaller of the two, with less
    noise at higher ISO settings. And it was also £80 cheaper than the Canon.

    Have you checked out the reviews of these cameras at www.dpreview.com? Quite
    in-depth tests of both cameras there.

    Regards,
    Shaun.

    Code Developer, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Emre

    Billy Zwann Guest

    Go for the Olympus 5050 or 5060
    plus : regular AA battery type (AA 2100mAh now)
    Compact flash card : (up to 4 GB now)
    Microdrive 1 GB
    Smart media card
    XD picture (up to 8 GB futute)
    external flash mounting
    super for low light conditions
    picture quality is supper

    Billy Zwann, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Emre

    Terry Guest

    ....and I got the G5 and am very happy with it. I already had a CF loader so
    the C5050 or G5 made sense. I opted for the G5 because the interface is
    very user friendly and the owners manual is in print and very easy to
    follow. I also like the 4X optical zoom, ability to add external flash and
    optional lenses. Features vs. 5050 are similar. Prices have come down a
    lot since I bought mine. Shop around on line reputable vendors.

    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

    Terry, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Emre

    gr Guest

    "Emre" <> wrote
    > I am planning to buy my first digital camera and i can't decide between
    > canon G5, Sony DSC-V1 and Olympus C5050.
    >
    > I do care a lot about picture quality, batery life and robustness of body.
    > Can someone advice me on these models, if you have any experience with
    > these models.

    I don't think you can beat the C-5050 in terms of features and it's bright
    lens, but you've probably already researched that. For me, it came down to
    some very important features that the C-5050 had the competition did not:

    - Pixel Mapping! This was critical, and only Olympus has this feature. All
    my old digital cameras eventually developed a few hot pixels that were
    noticeable even in day shots if you knew where to look... and once you knew
    they were there you couldn't help but look!. This is just a problem with all
    aging CCD cameras. The Olympus pixel mapping feature is a menu option that
    tests the camera for any bad or hot pixels, and maps them out of the sensor
    array. So, I'll always get perfect images, even years from now. (Other
    manufacturers can do this at the factory, but you're talking $100 or more do
    get this done out of warranty.)

    - A bright lens. F1.8 is what I wanted, to make it a good replacement for my
    35mm SLR.

    - Lots of features, manual controls on everything, various memory formats,
    hot shoe, remote, etc. Excellent resolution and color. Reasonable noise
    levels. A lot of these are standard on high-end consumer cameras, though.

    - AA battery format. I know this isn't important to some people, but I want
    generic batteries, so I don't have to worry about trying to find
    replacements after they've stopped being manufactured. The C-5050 takes 200+
    pictures on a set of AA NiMH rechargables, so there's not much concern with
    poor life.

    Things I don't like about the C-5050:

    - The way the lens extention comes way out. You certainly wouldn't want to
    bang the lens into anything when it's extended. I use a CLA-1 extention tube
    and a permanent UV filter, so this isn't a concern for me, but it does make
    the camera somewhat bulky. I miss the rugged clam-shell design of the
    simpler point&shoots.

    - Very poor printed manual. There's a better manual on the CD, but it still
    doesn't go into much detail.

    - Very poor photo software (Camedia). I use the free Irfanview for most
    stuff, and never touch Camedia except for the automatic panorama feature.

    - Lame NiMH slow-charger included with the camera. I already have a smart
    quick-charger, so the included charger is no use to me.

    gr, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Emre

    antonius Guest

    Go for c-5050.
    Like "gr" said it has superb features
    rol

    antonius, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Emre

    Chris Jones Guest

    .......another G5 very satisfied user, tried the Olympus C5050 but not as
    many features or add-ons. Go to a shop handle both and then decide.......

    Chris Jones, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Emre

    TonyK Guest

    These are all good cameras, each with pros and cons.

    I ended up with a G5 and to date no regrets.
    The battery life second to none and image quality excellent.
    I haven't shot anything as yet that shows any "noise" problems.

    Remember that most in this group are nit pickers when it comes to evaluating
    cameras, myself included.
    Many of the reported "flaws" in cameras are not evident in general use.
    Particularly image quality.

    I reckon you would be happy with any of them.

    Whatever you get...... Enjoy !

    Tony

    TonyK, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Emre

    Pedro Guest

    I got G5 + Canon close up adaptor lense and the Canon flash, and in 2 months
    it has paid for itself. read
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03100101canonfirmware.asp
    Most of the UK mags recommend G5, its a bit pricey, I recon you pays for
    what you get.
    Pedro

    Pedro, Nov 8, 2003