    I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
    F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
    that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?
    Tom, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Tom

    GAH Guest

    The G5 is a bit easier to carry around, so if having a smaller camera (but
    not much smaller) is important to you, go that route.

    The 717 has a superior laser focusing system (for low light), and the
    ability to use filters without an adapter, + slightly longer zoom.

    Between these two, it's my personal opinion that I'd go with the 717.

    Greg
    ---------

    GAH, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Tom

    Rick Guest

    "GAH" <> wrote in message news:hMrGb.8356$...
    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > > I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
    > > F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
    > > that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

    > The G5 is a bit easier to carry around, so if having a smaller camera (but
    > not much smaller) is important to you, go that route.
    >
    > The 717 has a superior laser focusing system (for low light), and the
    > ability to use filters without an adapter, + slightly longer zoom.
    >
    > Between these two, it's my personal opinion that I'd go with the 717.

    The 717 has more bells and whistles, but pathetic color response
    and produces lifeless, monochromatic images compared to the G5.
    If you want great results straight out of the camera, without post
    processing then get the G5.

    If you do a lot of low-light shooting, the 717 does have a superior
    focusing system as GAH mentioned. Also, in most cases its images
    can be fixed with a decent graphics editor.

    Rick
    Rick, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Tom

    GAH Guest

    Rick... it should be noted however, that the G5 tends to show more chromatic
    aberrations in it's high contrast images than the 717 does, and as you
    mentioned, images can be boosted and saturated very easily in an image
    editor. I personally find the extra features of the 717 would outweigh any
    small amounts of post processing you would have to do.

    Greg

    GAH, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Tom

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote:

    >I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
    >F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
    >that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

    Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
    all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
    the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
    stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
    filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
    it over the G5?
    Mark Johnson, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Tom

    GAH Guest

    Mark,

    It's not a "stabilized" zoom lens in the sense that the cameras offers an
    image stabilization feature. However, since it's a "two handed" camera,
    some feel that this lends to a more stable hold of it since your left hand
    is devoted to holding the lens barrel. There are actually very few consumer
    level cameras that currently offer an actual image stabilization feature,
    but they're nice to have. The camera is actually made of a composite
    material (not plain plastic), and it's tougher than it feels.

    Greg

    ----------

    GAH, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Tom

    Peter Gordon Guest

    "GAH" <> wrote in

    > Rick... it should be noted however, that the G5 tends to show more
    > chromatic aberrations in it's high contrast images than the 717
    > does, and as you mentioned, images can be boosted and saturated
    > very easily in an image editor. I personally find the extra
    > features of the 717 would outweigh any small amounts of post
    > processing you would have to do.

    The G5 is my first digital camera, thus I can't compare it to
    any other digital cameras, including the 717.

    I don't find the chromatic abberation a problem in most situations.
    The thing that bugs me most, are the jaggies. Any straight edge is
    woeful. Also, there is something odd about the processing algorithm
    used by Canon. Any fabric with a noticable weave pattern shows
    severe banding. This occurs even at superfine, (i.e. very little
    jpeg compression) settings. I don't think that it is a jpg artifact.
    Check the brick work on the image of a church on dpreview. It shows
    a similar effect to that obtained when photographing a model in say
    a coarse woven cotton top.

    As mentioned previously, I can't compare it with other cameras, and
    these problems may be just a fact of life with all digital cameras.

    Overall, I am happy with the camera. It is easy to use and usually
    produces an excellent image, even when used as a point and shoot
    camera. There are sufficient settings to make it adaptable to
    most types of photography. The instruction manual is good.
    Zoombrowser, the supplied software, is woeful.

    Cheers,

    Peter Gordon
    Peter Gordon, Dec 25, 2003
  8. Tom

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
    > all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
    > the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
    > stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
    > filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
    > it over the G5?

    The 717 is Magnesium Alloy not plastic.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery
    Larry Lynch, Dec 25, 2003
  9. Tom

    Big Kahuna Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 17:08:05 -0500, Larry Lynch
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
    >> all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
    >> the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
    >> stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
    >> filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
    >> it over the G5?
    >>

    >The 717 is Magnesium Alloy not plastic.

    I find the controls are pretty well placed once you remember what is
    where.
    Big Kahuna, Dec 25, 2003
  10. Tom

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    bigkahunafl@{nospam}hotmail.com says...
    > I find the controls are pretty well placed once you remember what is
    > where.

    Same here! Once you get used to the odd shape of the
    camera, you find that everything is where it needs to
    be, at least for me.

    It did take some getting used to (about a full day of
    shooting) but I have learned to love its ergonomics.
    Funny thing is, it didn't seem to spoil me for using a
    more conventional design. Just like learning how to fish
    didn't make me forget how to ride a bike.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery
    Larry Lynch, Dec 26, 2003
  11. Tom

    Paul L Guest

    I went to Beach Camera in NJ intending to buy the g5. He asked (as my
    memory will recall), "Are you sure? It has chromatic aberration problems,
    some have been returned. Do I need 5MP because the G3 has 4MP and the rest
    of its features are the same". Needless to say, I bought the g3 for about
    $15 less. Compared to my Minolta S304, this camera is great. No retaking
    of photos this holiday and the battery life is phenomenal.

    Paul L, Dec 26, 2003
  12. Tom

    picopir8 Guest

    IIRC, the G3 and G5 use the same image sensor. Since the G5 squeezes more
    MP, the resulting images are more prone to noise. And yes the G5 does have
    worse chromatic aberration than the G3 (though its still better than many
    cameras). These problems aside, the G5 is still one of the best if not the
    best rated 5MP camera, and the G3 is one of the best rated 4MP cameras. For
    me, I wanted good nightshot and a camera that took ACCURATE shots so I too
    got a G3 rather than the G5. Unless you are printing out large photos
    (bigger than 8x10) you dont need 5MP camera. Since most people appear to
    print out at home and most home printers dont print much bigger than 8x10,
    there is no real benefit to getting more than 4MP. Also, as far as battery
    life goes, I totally agree, the G3 is incredible. I went on a 10 day
    vacation with my G3 and took over 250 photos. The low batt indicator
    finally appeared on the last day. There was no need to charge the camera at
    all. Next time I go on vacation, Im just going to leave the charger at
    home.

    picopir8, Dec 26, 2003
  13. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks to everyone who responded i really appreciate all of the info. I have
    decided to go ahead and get the G5.

    Tom, Dec 26, 2003
  14. Tom

    ziggy Guest

    Hi Tom, Santa left a G5 under the Christmas tree and after about 400-500
    pics I must say I can't find any sign of chromatic aberration although I've
    pretty much been using the auto setting, also I can see where the 420ex
    flash would really compliment this camera.

    Rick

    ziggy, Dec 28, 2003