    (Casio QV-3000 and Oly c-50) and this is the first problem like this. I am
    still a bit leery of the G5 at this point, If someone could point me in the
    right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

    Matthew Palmer, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Matthew Palmer

    Don Guest

    Unless you need it for a particular reason, it's a good idea to turn the
    continuous focus off, since it's a major source of battery drain, along with
    the LCD screen. However, I don't understand why it would cause the problem
    you describe. If it's still looking for a good focus when you trip the
    shutter, the shutter should not actuate untill the focus has settled. I
    would suggest taking it back and trying another one.

    Don

    "Matthew Palmer" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought the Canon G5. I have noticed that an unusual amount of
    > daytime"easy" photo are not as sharp as they could be even with the flash
    > on. I was about to return the camera until I read in the manual about the
    > Continuous Focusing System. I thought it maybe interfering with my

    shooting
    > at the last second taking things a bit out of focus. I shut it off and

    have
    > had better"not perfect" success. I am fairly sure it is not camera shake

    1.

    Don, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Matthew Palmer

    RR Guest

    I too bought a G5, and experienced the same problems. In my opinion,
    the auto mode is worthless. I have turned off continuous focus, and
    only shoot in either shutter priority or aperture priority modes. When
    shooting scenery, I always set the F stop to 8, make sure the shutter
    speed is fast enough.

    Also, make sure that you do pause after pressing the shutter release
    down half way, and wait for the light to indicate focus.

    This is a real problem, and I cannot figure out why Canon hasn't done
    something about it. In any event, the camera does take nice pictures,
    but this inability to be used as a point and click camera does put the
    difficulty of use at a 9 out of 10. Knowing what I know now, I would
    not have bought this camera.

    RR, Apr 13, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > I too bought a G5, and experienced the same problems. In my opinion,
    > the auto mode is worthless. I have turned off continuous focus, and
    > only shoot in either shutter priority or aperture priority modes. When
    > shooting scenery, I always set the F stop to 8, make sure the shutter
    > speed is fast enough.

    On a G5, using f/8 gives you the _slowest_ possible shutter
    speed, but the maximum depth of field. As a matter of
    interest, the lens gives its best quality at around f/4 - f/5.6

    Graeme Cogger, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Matthew Palmer

    RR Guest

    I have never been a serious photographer, but have been taking pictures
    for 25 years. The problem of poor focus with the G5 seems to be more a
    problem of the camera not focusing on the right object than a problem of
    slow shutter speed. My pictures have been much improved by forcing
    the deepest depth of field.

    The G5 has a reasonably fast lens for a camera that size, so I don't
    believe that the problem is now holding the camera still at slow shutter
    speeds. I compare it to my old Coolpix 885 (dropped off a mountain
    about a year ago). The lens on the Nikon was very slow, but I never had
    focus problems.

    Given the number of complaints I have seen on this newsgroup, I believe
    the G5 has some fundamental problems with auto focus, that need to be
    compensated for by the user. Again, the Auto setting results in a lot
    of out of focus pictures, whether indoors or out in the bright sun.

    RR

    RR, Apr 14, 2004