    a camera that I can grow in to.

    About the only other cameras I would consider would be a Canon S50 or a Sony
    717.

    StuartB54, Jul 26, 2003

  2. StuartB54 <> wrote:
    > I am wrestling with the decision between these two cameras. THe Oly is about
    > $50 more. When I handle both they seem similar, and I figure I can get used to
    > either. Which would you recommend and why? You input and opinion valued. Does
    > either come with a better software package.
    >
    > I am interested in reliability, quality pictures, and ease of use. I also want
    > a camera that I can grow in to.

    Just got the Oly 5050 two weeks ago and I love it thus far. (It's an upgrade from my
    now four-year-old Oly D450Z...) For me, there was a very simple reason not to go with
    the G3, which you may or may not agree with. I prefer shooting with the optical viewfinder
    rather than the electronic viewfinder the vast majority of the time. The G3's lens barrel
    takes up about a third of its viewfinder! For me, there's no way I could get used to that and
    it would bother me every time I picked up the camera. YMMV, of course - obviously lots of
    people only ever use the LCD viewfinder and then this is no problem.

    Another reason I went with the Oly was that I'd gotten used to the fantastic battery life
    that my old 1.3 Mpx D450Z has. If you leave the LCD off and just shoot with the viewfinder,
    you can go literally hundreds of photos before running out of juice. The 5050 is the same way,
    which is great for hiking etc where I don't want to always have to haul along lots of
    extra sets of batteries.

    Best of luck with your decision! You can't go wrong either way, so just pick whichever one
    you feel more comfortable with in the end.

    - Marshall

    Marshall Perrin, Jul 26, 2003

  3. StuartB54

    Opentoe Guest

    You may as well look at the Canon G5 is you are going up against the C5050.
    I own the C5050 and find it to be a VERY slow camera. I recently was at a
    wedding and it took forever for me to take pictures. I forced people to
    stand there with smiles while the lights finished blinking. I'm not sure
    what the heck was the delay, but it was terrible. My resolution was only
    1600x1200 also. I heard the G5 is much quicker and they both have an
    auto-focus illuminator light which is good in low light conditions. I might
    sell my C5050 and purchase a G5 if I can sell my C5050 for a good price.
    Also I heard the G5 comes with a rechargable battery that lasts a really
    long time. Steve-digicam reviews said some thing really good about this
    battery....although my C5050 with high quality rechargables wasn't bad
    either.

    Opentoe, Jul 31, 2003
  4. StuartB54

    Stephen Guest

    I have a Canon G5.. the battery lasts forever (well not quite), but it's
    longer than I expected!

    Regards,

    Stephen

    Stephen, Aug 1, 2003