    a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
    feature. I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
    want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

    Gregory Coats, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Gregory Coats

    Tore Lund Guest

    Gregory Coats wrote:
    > I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at around
    > $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
    > better and why.

    I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The G3 is a bigger,
    heavier and more expensive camera. I believe it is also somewhat better
    than the 4300 in most respects.

    IMO, what you SHOULD be comparing is the different policies that Canon
    and Nikon have in the fields of color management and things like that.

    > Which has the better flash?

    I don't know. I believe the G3 has a problem in that sector because of
    its big lens.

    One major reason for buying the G3, IMO, is the f/2.0 aperture, which
    makes it possible to do without flash in many situations.

    > I know the G3 has a recording of
    > a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
    > feature.

    AFAIK, the 4300 does not have it. If you care for things like that,
    look up the Minolta F200, which has a very cool shutter sound.

    > I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
    > want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

    The 4300 IS a good camera. But if you don't mind the extra weight and
    bulk, I think you should get the G3.
    --
    Tore

    Tore Lund, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Gregory Coats

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    The 4300 has no provision for an external flash. The G3 has a flash hot shoe
    and makes good use of Canon external flash units. Any of these cameras
    internal flash units are very limited.

    "Gregory Coats" <> wrote in message
    > I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at

    around
    > $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
    > better and why. Which has the better flash? I know the G3 has a recording

    of

    Mick Ruthven, Dec 22, 2003
  4. On 2003-12-21, Gregory Coats <> wrote:
    > I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at around
    > $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
    > better and why. Which has the better flash? I know the G3 has a recording of
    > a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
    > feature. I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
    > want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

    Have a Nikon 4500 myself. I have no real complaint about the flash.
    There isn't much shutter sound. The G3 has a faster lens as some said,
    and that is what is its main advantage.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 22, 2003