Canon G3 USB problem - firmware?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frank, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I hope I can get help through this group, or to be advised where to
    find it...
    My G3 no longer allows me to connect to my PC via USB. I get a USB
    device error when connecting to the PC under Win2000: "The
    installation failed because a function driver was not specified for
    this device instance". Previously things worked fine for months. This
    problem only occurred after a did a default to factory settings on the
    G3, however this may be purely coincidental. A PC with WinXP also does
    not recognise the camera. In all cases I have followed the camera
    software installations to the letter, even re-installed Win2000, and
    can only conclude that the camera is faulty or has a firmware problem.

    As a last resort I want to revert back to rev. 1.0.0.0 of the camera
    firmware - currently rev. 1.0.2.0 is loaded. What I need is a copy of
    the previous firmware rev. The Canon firmware upgrade website does not
    supply previous versions.

    Can anyone please help?

    TIA
    Frank
    Frank, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Frank

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Frank) stated that:

    >I hope I can get help through this group, or to be advised where to
    >find it...
    >My G3 no longer allows me to connect to my PC via USB. I get a USB
    >device error when connecting to the PC under Win2000: "The
    >installation failed because a function driver was not specified for
    >this device instance".

    I believe that that error indicates that the driver config is broken.
    I've seen things like that happen a lot with Win2K if you run the
    installation disk & either interrupt the installer or plug/unplug the
    device during the install. I've also seen it happen when the installer
    has been run more than once - Windows gets confused & thinks it has more
    than one fo the device, & tries to load the driver more than once, which
    makes the whole thing screw up. You can check this by plugging in your
    camera & looking at the device manager. If you see the camera icon more
    than once, or it has an error indicator next to it, you need to unistall
    the drive from the device manager, *without* rebooting. Then reopen the
    device manager to see if it thinks it's still there. If so, uninstall it
    too, & repeat the procedure until there are no more cameras/TWAIN
    devices in the device manager.
    After that, unplug your camera & restart windows. Plug in the camera, &
    if everything is okay, you're done. If it detects it as a new device,
    just use the install disk & you shoudl be up & running again.

    >As a last resort I want to revert back to rev. 1.0.0.0 of the camera
    >firmware - currently rev. 1.0.2.0 is loaded. What I need is a copy of
    >the previous firmware rev. The Canon firmware upgrade website does not
    >supply previous versions.

    I seriously doubt that the firmware is the issue.

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2004