    Grateful for any sensible advice.

    #:)
    gps

    #:-\) gps, Apr 12, 2004

  2. #:-\) gps

    Don Guest

    I suggest leaving the LCD open and setting the camera in a warm, not hot,
    room, out of the sun for several days to allow it to dry naturally. There
    is a chance that the effects are not permanent. I would resist the urge to
    power it up from time to time to see how it is doing.

    Don

    "#:) gps @poczta.onet.pl>" <gpsgpsgps<beztego> wrote in message
    > I tried to remove finger print stains on my Canon G3 LCD display (the

    swivel
    > one) by washing it with a wet cotton swab. The result was disastrous!

    Water
    > somehow got into the structure of the LCD and first I had sort of stains
    > visible when the LCD was switched on. After a couple of hours the stains
    > turned into a delicate grid-like pattern (less irritating and interfering
    > with the pictures showed on the LCD). Is it possible to bring the LCD back
    > to its original form? Or is it permanently damaged and now will start to

    rot

    Don, Apr 12, 2004

  3. "#:-\) gps" <gpsgpsgps<beztego>@poczta.onet.pl> writes:
    >I tried to remove finger print stains on my Canon G3 LCD display (the swivel
    >one) by washing it with a wet cotton swab. The result was disastrous! Water
    >somehow got into the structure of the LCD and first I had sort of stains
    >visible when the LCD was switched on. After a couple of hours the stains
    >turned into a delicate grid-like pattern (less irritating and interfering
    >with the pictures showed on the LCD). Is it possible to bring the LCD back
    >to its original form? Or is it permanently damaged and now will start to rot
    >or rust?

    If the water got into the guts of the LCD panel itself (between the two
    glass plates), it's probably permanently damaged.

    On the other hand, if the water just got into the connector that carries
    signals to the LCD, there may be no permanent damage. LCDs are high
    impedance devices, and the connectors are often a type of rubber with
    conductive paths in it, so a little bit of water could either produce a
    partial short between adjacent LCD drive lines, or create some corrosion
    that increases the resistance of a drive path.

    If you let the camera sit in a warm dry place for a few days with the
    power off, the problem may go away by itself. Or it might be fixable by
    dismantling the LCD housing and cleaning the LCD electrical connections.
    I would *not* suggest making the G3 the first LCD display you try this
    on, though. Find a broken clock or digital meter or something with an
    LCD display, and practise on it first. Or get someone who knows what
    they are doing to look at it.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 13, 2004