Canon G3 hot pixel getting worse: advice please.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by James, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi,

    I have a ~16 month old Canon G3, which arrived with one hot pixel. I
    didn't notice it at first since it only showed up in long exposures,
    and even then was only a small red dot, so I didn't complain.

    This March the warranty ran out. Shorty after (isn't it always so?), I
    noticed a bigger defect roughly 20 pixels from the hot pixel - this
    was one pixel stuck on white, surrounded by black pixels. It's quite
    noticable.

    Today, I noticed for the first time the stuck and hot pixels both
    showing up in short exposures: day shots with blue skies where the
    defect becomes something of an eyesore.

    In short, it's getting worse. The camera is out of warranty, but since
    the current defect grew from something that's always been wrong with
    the camera I feel they should fix it anyway. Not that that's likely to
    happen.

    One of the reasons I didn't get the camera replaced initially was
    because of reading posts on this very group which asserted that
    hot/dead pixels don't get worse. More searching now reveals posts
    which say the opposite. Guess I was just reading what I wanted to
    read.

    Any particular advice on getting this fixed? Will a repair cost more
    than a new camera? If I do nothing, will it eventually get so bad it
    dies completely? If I just have to live with it, is there any software
    which can automatically remove hot/dead pixels from images by, say,
    interpolating from surrounding pixels?

    Thanks,
    James

    James, Jun 7, 2004

  2. James

    bagal Guest

    Hi James

    I don't know what the consumer rules are in your country but you may find
    that you should explain to your retailer first - listen to what they say.

    Then contact manufacturer? And, of course, check consumer guideliens

    There is software that will smudge, dodge, push other colors to the
    hot/damaged spots.
    Usually the software uses an algorithm with an applied friendly name such as
    bagal (oops) I mean push, clone - I tried clone in PSP - a rather excellent
    tool if I may say so

    If you can't get satisfaction on your camera (shame! it really should last a
    bit longer than that) you should be able to nullify the effect

    I wonder if a PSP script will do the trick? Or maybe a Batch file?

    These automate the process - a bit like a macro does in Microsoft Office.
    Script does it one file at a time and Batch does as the name suggests and
    applies the fix (if it can be automated) to a whole bundle of preselected
    files

    good innit!

    das B

    bagal, Jun 7, 2004

  3. James

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (James)
    Date: Sun, Jun 6, 2004 6:56 PM

    Hi,

    I have a ~16 month old Canon G3, which arrived with one hot pixel. I
    didn't notice it at first since it only showed up in long exposures,
    and even then was only a small red dot, so I didn't complain.

    This March the warranty ran out. Shorty after (isn't it always so?), I
    noticed a bigger defect roughly 20 pixels from the hot pixel - this
    was one pixel stuck on white, surrounded by black pixels. It's quite
    noticable.

    Today, I noticed for the first time the stuck and hot pixels both
    showing up in short exposures: day shots with blue skies where the
    defect becomes something of an eyesore.

    In short, it's getting worse. The camera is out of warranty, but since
    the current defect grew from something that's always been wrong with
    the camera I feel they should fix it anyway. Not that that's likely to
    happen.

    One of the reasons I didn't get the camera replaced initially was
    because of reading posts on this very group which asserted that
    hot/dead pixels don't get worse. More searching now reveals posts
    which say the opposite. Guess I was just reading what I wanted to
    read.

    Any particular advice on getting this fixed? Will a repair cost more
    than a new camera? If I do nothing, will it eventually get so bad it
    dies completely? If I just have to live with it, is there any software
    which can automatically remove hot/dead pixels from images by, say,
    interpolating from surrounding pixels?

    Thanks,
    James
    >><BR><BR>

    Graphic Converter (Mac) has a feature that learns and removes bad pixels.

    FredBillie, Jun 7, 2004