    Have you found this to be true?

    If so, what high end 4-5 MP camera does well in both modes...?

    Slapshot ;-)

    Freewheelin', Aug 8, 2003

  2. Freewheelin'

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have used an Oly C-2020z and n Oly D-40z for some time now and get
    > excellent results for both "art" and point and shoot photos... love
    > the Canon G3 shots I see in galleries online but read they are not
    > worth a s**t ;-) as a run around point and shoot...
    >
    > In other words,
    > 1) Onboard flash is useless
    > 2) Automode is inconsistent
    > 3) Doesn't do well in contrasty situations...
    >
    > Have you found this to be true?
    >
    > If so, what high end 4-5 MP camera does well in both modes...?
    >
    > Slapshot ;-)

    I don't know what you are reading but it's full of s**t. The G3 is a
    great camera and functions very well in all modes.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Freewheelin'

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 7 Aug 2003 20:25:19 -0700, (Freewheelin')
    wrote:

    >I have used an Oly C-2020z and n Oly D-40z for some time now and get
    >excellent results for both "art" and point and shoot photos... love
    >the Canon G3 shots I see in galleries online but read they are not
    >worth a s**t ;-) as a run around point and shoot...
    >
    >In other words,
    >1) Onboard flash is useless
    >2) Automode is inconsistent
    >3) Doesn't do well in contrasty situations...
    >
    >Have you found this to be true?
    >
    >If so, what high end 4-5 MP camera does well in both modes...?
    >
    >Slapshot ;-)

    I don't know about the G3, but my G2 is a great little point
    and shoot camera, and my favorite camera for backcountry
    hiking. Onboard flash gets the job done nicely for most
    indoor situations. 'P' (program) mode is pretty close to
    point-and-shoot, and the autofocus is fine.

    As far as "contrasty situations" go it's not better or worse
    than any other digicam from what I can tell.

    The #1 problem with the G2 is the shutter lag, which
    again is probably comparable to other digicams in
    its class and price range.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Aug 8, 2003
  4. From what I've seen so far with my G3, its an excellent P&S unit. My wife
    throws it into "AUTO" and can chase the grandkids around indoors and out and not
    have to worry about the camera at all. She gets sharp, clear photographs that
    she can print and email.

    I typically put it in either program, or specify shutter or aperture priority
    depending on what I'm doing. Program mode gives more control but still
    automates most functions.

    We've been outdoors in bright sunlight and gotten find photographs. There's a
    neutral density function built in that works fine when in real bright
    situations.

    As far as autofocus, the only time I have a problem is when I don't do a good
    job of putting the right subject in the focus box... Of course, the camera
    (when not in auto) provides the ability to move the focus point around so you
    can set it to fit the subject...

    So far we're both really pleased with the G3 results...

    BTW: I bought my wife a pair of 256 MB flash cards 'cause she was filling up
    the little 32MB one so fast... Now she gets hundreds of images, and she's taken
    more photos in a week than in the last 5 years with her Minolta 35mm...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Aug 8, 2003