    I missing something, like the possibility of cheap knock-offs?

    Bob

    , Dec 5, 2007

  2. Kevin Weaver Guest

    I've done it. Once. Never again. There made cheap. Case that held cells did
    not fit camera very well. Sub-par life. Who knows. you may get lucky. Just
    don't count on it.

    Kevin Weaver, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My Canon G2 BP-511 battery pack (7.4 volt, 1400 mAh) has died after
    > about five years of light use. Not a bad lifetime. I bought a
    > replacement today at London Drugs in Vancouver, BC for almost $60.
    > Curious, I did a Google search and ended up on eBay where there are
    > many offers of the same battery for less than US $10 including
    > shipping. Discount web stores also have similar deals. Should I be
    > wary of ordering these batteries (and returning the one I bought)? Am
    > I missing something, like the possibility of cheap knock-offs?
    >
    > Bob

    I've been using BP-511 replacements from SterlingTek.com for several years
    now with no problems.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 5, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > My Canon G2 BP-511 battery pack (7.4 volt, 1400 mAh) has died after
    > about five years of light use. Not a bad lifetime. I bought a
    > replacement today at London Drugs in Vancouver, BC for almost $60.
    > Curious, I did a Google search and ended up on eBay where there are
    > many offers of the same battery for less than US $10 including
    > shipping. Discount web stores also have similar deals. Should I be
    > wary of ordering these batteries (and returning the one I bought)? Am
    > I missing something, like the possibility of cheap knock-offs?

    I have three Canon products that use the BP-511 (G2, 20D and a
    camcorder). I buy BP-511 batteries from SterlingTek,
    "http://sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html". They used to
    give a slight price break when you bought two, but not any more (if you
    buy 20 then you get them for $11 each!).

    I have had no problems with their batteries that I can recall. I don't
    really keep track of individual batteries. Some have gone bad over the
    years, as Li-Ion batteries tend to do after four years or so.

    I would avoid the eBay batteries from unknown sources.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Dec 5, 2007
  5. "" <> writes:
    >My Canon G2 BP-511 battery pack (7.4 volt, 1400 mAh) has died after
    >about five years of light use. Not a bad lifetime. I bought a
    >replacement today at London Drugs in Vancouver, BC for almost $60.
    >Curious, I did a Google search and ended up on eBay where there are
    >many offers of the same battery for less than US $10 including
    >shipping. Discount web stores also have similar deals. Should I be
    >wary of ordering these batteries (and returning the one I bought)? Am
    >I missing something, like the possibility of cheap knock-offs?

    Yes, you might get something that's a cheap knock-off with poor
    performance, even missing parts (e.g. a temperature sensor). Or you
    might get something that's equal to or better than the official Canon
    part.

    It's pretty clear that Canon buys their batteries from someone else, and
    makes a healthy markup reselling them as official Canon parts.
    There's room for someone else to sell an equal-quality battery (possibly
    even sourced from the same factory) for a lower price. But there's also
    an incentive for someone to produce a much lower-quality battery, sell
    it for somewhat less than the high-quality one, and make more profit.

    When buying from ebay, I'd suggest buying from someone with a long
    record of selling batteries and nearly 100% positive feedback. That's
    someone who is likely to care about the quality of what they sell and
    whether customers are happy.

    Another alternative: buy locally. When I wanted a higher-capacity
    battery for a Canon camcorder, I got it from a place in Richmond BC. It
    was 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the official Canon one, and I got to look at
    the battery in person before buying it. It looked decently made, and
    has performed fine for 3 years so far.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 5, 2007
  6. er Guest

    > I've been using BP-511 replacements from SterlingTek.com for several years
    > now with no problems.
    >
    > Mark

    Ditto. Sterling Tek batteries have outlasted the original Canon Battery
    purchased at the same time. Canon battery lasted about three years,
    Sterling Tek's are still going strong after better than five years now.

    DFS

    er, Dec 6, 2007