Canon G12 Leaks Out, Finally Gets HD Video - Photography Bay

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Aug 20, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/38qeljb
    or:
    http://www.photographybay.com/2010/...er-upgrades/?awt_l=EaOwg&awt_m=1d5disw4RP62xu

    Amidst other Canon camera announcements earlier today, the Canon G12
    briefly appeared on Cnet Asia. It’s gone from the site now, but the
    key features and specs are out in the open.

    Canon PowerShot G12 Key Features
    10MP CCD Sensor
    5x Optical Zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
    2.8" Tilt/Swivel LCD
    Manual Exposure Control
    720p HD Video Capture
    Optical Image Stabilization
    In-camera HDR Mode

    In essence, the G12 is to the Canon PowerShot S95 what the G11 is to
    the S90 – its bigger, stronger cousin. One of the major criticisms of
    recent Canon G-Series cameras has been remedied with the introduction
    of the G12 – the ability to capture HD video. And, while captured
    video is only the 720p flavor at best, it should be much better than
    the VGA-resolution video found in the G11.

    My best guess at pricing and availability would be $499 and available
    in September/October. Of course, we’ll have the full specs, price and
    availability dates once that G12 is officially unveiled.

    via Canon Rumors
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/canon-powershot-g12-leaked-by-cnet/

    Bruce, Aug 20, 2010

  2. Robert Spanjaard, Aug 20, 2010

  3. On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:09:03 -0400, Bowser wrote:

    >>via Canon Rumors
    >>http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/canon-powershot-g12-leaked-by-cnet/

    > If this is true, what a disappointment. Like it or not, it competes with
    > the m4/3 cams, which are more money, but the same size with much higher
    > image quality.

    The same size? Only if you can find a 10mm thin, 70 g, 14-70mm lens and
    combine it with the Panasonic GF1 (the smallest MFT available). Even the
    20mm pancake makes the GF1 bigger than the G11/12.

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 20, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:48:31 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>http://preview.tinyurl.com/38qeljb
    >>or:
    >>http://www.photographybay.com/2010/...er-upgrades/?awt_l=EaOwg&awt_m=1d5disw4RP62xu
    >>

    >>Amidst other Canon camera announcements earlier today, the Canon G12
    >>briefly appeared on Cnet Asia. It’s gone from the site now, but the
    >>key features and specs are out in the open.
    >>
    >>Canon PowerShot G12 Key Features
    >>10MP CCD Sensor
    >>5x Optical Zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
    >>2.8" Tilt/Swivel LCD
    >>Manual Exposure Control
    >>720p HD Video Capture
    >>Optical Image Stabilization
    >>In-camera HDR Mode
    >>
    >>In essence, the G12 is to the Canon PowerShot S95 what the G11 is to
    >>the S90 – its bigger, stronger cousin. One of the major criticisms of
    >>recent Canon G-Series cameras has been remedied with the introduction
    >>of the G12 – the ability to capture HD video. And, while captured
    >>video is only the 720p flavor at best, it should be much better than
    >>the VGA-resolution video found in the G11.
    >>
    >>My best guess at pricing and availability would be $499 and available
    >>in September/October. Of course, we’ll have the full specs, price and
    >>availability dates once that G12 is officially unveiled.
    >>
    >>via Canon Rumors
    >>http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/canon-powershot-g12-leaked-by-cnet/

    >If this is true, what a disappointment. Like it or not, it competes
    >with the m4/3 cams, which are more money, but the same size with much
    >higher image quality.

    I agree.

    720P video is also a disappointment for a camera such as this.

    Bruce, Aug 20, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2010-08-20 14:49:09 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >>
    >> 720P video is also a disappointment for a camera such as this.

    >Which is what makes this a surprise with 1080p:
    >http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd4500_is

    A surprise indeed. It is sold in Europe as the IXUS 1000 HS. I
    checked the specs and it is 1080P. That's pretty rare ... there are
    quite a few cameras around that shoot 1080i but 1080P is welcome.

    >...and the new S95 and the promised G12 staying at 720p:
    >< http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10081918canonpowershots95.asp >

    Something not quite right here. Why does Canon put 1080P on a
    consumer-grade camera but only 720P on these two PowerShots?

    Bruce, Aug 21, 2010
  6. On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:52:14 -0400, Bowser wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:17:31 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
    > <> wrote:

    >>> If this is true, what a disappointment. Like it or not, it competes
    >>> with the m4/3 cams, which are more money, but the same size with much
    >>> higher image quality.

    >>The same size? Only if you can find a 10mm thin, 70 g, 14-70mm lens and
    >>combine it with the Panasonic GF1 (the smallest MFT available). Even the
    >>20mm pancake makes the GF1 bigger than the G11/12.

    > In my eyes, and for what I'd want, they're close enough. both compacts,
    > neither pocketable.

    Depends on which pocket. Both won't fit in tight jeans, but you can
    easily take the G12 in a coat. No matter how you look at it, saying that
    they're the same size is just nonsense.

    > Honestly, the G12 looks like a huge disappointment.
    > Aside from HD video (woo hoo!) what did they add of substance?

    A second control dial. In fact, the G12 now has better manual controls
    than any DSLR, which don't have dedicated dials for ISO and EV-control.

    What kind of changes did you expect? The G11 hasn't even been around for
    one year.

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 21, 2010
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    >Yawn. Not even 1080P. Not that I care much, it still having a TINY
    >sensor.

    You cared enough to reply.

    Bruce, Aug 21, 2010
  8. On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:01:01 -0400, Bowser wrote:

    >>> In my eyes, and for what I'd want, they're close enough. both
    >>> compacts, neither pocketable.

    >>Depends on which pocket. Both won't fit in tight jeans, but you can
    >>easily take the G12 in a coat. No matter how you look at it, saying that
    >>they're the same size is just nonsense.

    > Subjective.

    No, size is not subjective. It's twice the size and weight with a
    comparable lens. There's nothing subjective about that.

    > but one is light-years ahead in IQ.

    It's ahead compared to the G11, just like it's behind modern APS-C
    cameras. A bit like its size, really.

    >>> Honestly, the G12 looks like a huge disappointment. Aside from HD
    >>> video (woo hoo!) what did they add of substance?

    >>A second control dial. In fact, the G12 now has better manual controls
    >>than any DSLR, which don't have dedicated dials for ISO and EV-control.
    >>
    >>What kind of changes did you expect? The G11 hasn't even been around for
    >>one year.

    > Improved image quality and speed.

    Compared to other cameras in its class, the IQ of the G11 is very good.
    I agree that it's slow. But even my EOS 10D is fast enough for my
    needs. :)

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 22, 2010
  9. Bruce

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2010-08-20 14:49:09 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    > > Bowser <> wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > > 720P video is also a disappointment for a camera such as this.

    > Which is what makes this a surprise with 1080p:
    > <http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd4500_is>

    <edited>

    So what? My Kodak Z7980 (12MP, 24x optical zoom) can do HDV (1280 x 720),
    at 30 fps. I don't know whether that's progressive, but, it sounds pretty
    damned good.

    Actually, I've never even shot >any< movies with it, in the 2+ months I've
    owned the Z7980; I'm not a huge fan of digicams' video modes, obviously.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 30, 2010