    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Gautam Majumdar

    mike nelson Guest

    Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the ones on
    E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and they work just
    fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve infinity focus), but it is
    easily removed if you desire.

    mike nelson, Jan 8, 2005
  4. mike nelson wrote:
    > Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the ones

    on
    > E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and they work

    just
    > fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve infinity focus), but

    it is
    > easily removed if you desire.

    The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
    Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
    between the two?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Gautam Majumdar

    Nick Fotis Guest

    Note that this is a 3rd party adapter, with not necessarily the best
    quality results.

    There was a very rare Canon fd-eos adapter too, which sells form 400+
    USD in Ebay.
    Do not confuse it with the Canon *macro* FD-EOS adapter, this one does
    not permit focus at infinity.

    Look for more information in these pages:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdeos.htm

    It sounds ridiculous, but it's actually easier to adapt Nikon manual
    focus lenses to Canon EOS bodies than Canon manual focus lenses...

    Regards from Athens, Greece.
    Nick Fotis

    Nick Fotis, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Gautam Majumdar

    Jan Guest

    * Gautam Majumdar wrote:
    > I understand that such a gadget is available. Anyone knows of any
    > photography shops in UK that can supply this thing ?

    The FD system has a shorter distance between the lens
    mount and the film plane than Canons new EF mount. Thus,
    an FD-lens to EF-mount converter
    -either does not allow focussing the entire range (no sharp
    image at far distances),
    -or needs an optical correction element.

    Cheap converters of the latter type result in substantially
    reduced image quality.
    If you don't need to focus to infinity with your FD lenses
    (i.e. in macro photography), get a cheap glassless converter
    (sometimes referred to as an "FD-EOS macro ring"). If you have
    very special and expensive FD glasses like tilt and shifts or
    "white" telephotos then get an expensive optical converter
    from Canon (probably out of production now so you have to
    search for a used one).
    In all other cases: Forget about using your FD lenses with
    an EF camera.

    Jan, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Gautam Majumdar

    Frank ess Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > mike nelson wrote:
    >> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the
    >> ones on E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and
    >> they work just fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve
    >> infinity focus), but it is easily removed if you desire.

    > The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
    > Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
    > between the two?

    CZFDEOSA Adorama Canon FD Lens to EOS Body Adapter 39.95
    Has a lens in it.

    I think such a thing would interfere with the back of the new EF-S
    lenses. Wouldn't it?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Gautam Majumdar

    news Guest

    Hi All:

    The Adorama lens mount converter does have a 2 element lens in it. I needed
    to mount my Digital Rebel on my bellows FD. Because I was unable to find one
    with out lens, I removed the lens. It worked just fine for my 10x to 20x
    macro photos. The New York Times and Scientific American in the last 2
    months have published pictures I took with it. I found the build quality not
    very good. The lever that was supposed to stop down the FD lens worked
    poorly and was a struggle to use. Of course none of that mattered on the
    bellows but it was not fun to use on camera with a normal lens setup. I
    bought a second one from a local camera store "made" by Samigon. Its much
    better build quality than the Adorama and cost $45. I've used it with my
    FD-100mm macro lens and all the levers and controls working very smoothly. I
    think the picture quality is just fine for my pictures. I'm sure it cost me
    something in picture quality but it's not very noticeable and it does give
    my the ability to use some of the large collection of FD lens I have.
    If you need to focus to infinity, the lens are required, if your only doing
    close up work like I am then the lens is not needed.

    --
    John Passaneau, W3JXP
    State College, PA

    news, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Gautam Majumdar

    Skip M Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    >> mike nelson wrote:
    >>> Adorama in the US has this item for $39.00. Looks just like the
    >>> ones on E-bay but at about half the price. I have two of them, and
    >>> they work just fine. They do have a lens in them (to preserve
    >>> infinity focus), but it is easily removed if you desire.

    >> The ones on eBay for $95 have an optical element whereas the one
    >> Adorama's selling has none. Can you tell me whats the difference
    >> between the two?
    >>

    > CZFDEOSA Adorama Canon FD Lens to EOS Body Adapter 39.95
    > Has a lens in it.
    >
    > I think such a thing would interfere with the back of the new EF-S lenses.
    > Wouldn't it?
    >

    > --
    > Frank ess

    In more ways than one. It's for mounting an FD mount lens on an EF mount
    camera, the EF-S lenses wouldn't mount, in the first place...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 8, 2005