Canon EOS350D - Dirt in viewfinder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pete Baston, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Pete Baston

    Pete Baston Guest

    Hi,

    My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the
    viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !

    Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    these ?

    I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    presumably shaken up somewhat.

    Thanks,

    Pete.

    --
    Pete Baston
    Buckley, North Wales.

    Pete Baston, Nov 21, 2006

  2. "Pete Baston" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when looking
    > through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the viewfinder,
    > and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >
    > Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of these
    > ?
    >
    > I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    > lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and presumably
    > shaken up somewhat.

    Sure, transportation will redistribute internal "dandruff." These cameras
    are not assembled in clean rooms.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Pete Baston wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    > looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the
    > viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >
    > Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    > these ?
    >
    > I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    > lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    > presumably shaken up somewhat.

    Turn off camera. Find a quiet room with good light. With a clean soft
    brush made for this sort of thing at hand, remove the lens. See any
    specks on the mirror? Tilt face of camera slightly down, and stroke from
    top to bottom of mirror so that dust will be inclined to fall out of the
    camera.

    Does that do it?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Pete Baston

    Mark² Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "Pete Baston" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    >> looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of
    >> the viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >>
    >> Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    >> these ?
    >>
    >> I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    >> lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    >> presumably shaken up somewhat.

    > Sure, transportation will redistribute internal "dandruff." These
    > cameras are not assembled in clean rooms.

    It's not likely from construction environment. More likely, it's managed to
    get in there via use/lens changes. It is indeed annoying, but has zero
    effect on anything else.

    This is another reason why it's nice to have a body that allows focus screen
    removal...which makes dust removal easy. The Rebel's focus screen isn't
    easily removed, short of some disassembly...
    :(

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 22, 2006
  5. Pete Baston

    Mark² Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Pete Baston wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    >> looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the
    >> viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >>
    >> Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    >> these ?
    >>
    >> I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    >> lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    >> presumably shaken up somewhat.

    > Turn off camera. Find a quiet room with good light. With a clean soft
    > brush made for this sort of thing at hand, remove the lens. See any
    > specks on the mirror? Tilt face of camera slightly down, and stroke
    > from top to bottom of mirror so that dust will be inclined to fall
    > out of the camera.
    >
    > Does that do it?

    What he describes is rarely due to junk on the mirror...rather, it's
    typically stuf that gets trapped on the other (inaccessible) side of the
    focus screen... :( Tough to get to without real hassle).

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 22, 2006
  6. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:

    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> "Pete Baston" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    >>> looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of
    >>> the viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    >>> these ?
    >>>
    >>> I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    >>> lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    >>> presumably shaken up somewhat.

    >> Sure, transportation will redistribute internal "dandruff." These
    >> cameras are not assembled in clean rooms.

    > It's not likely from construction environment. More likely, it's managed to
    > get in there via use/lens changes. It is indeed annoying, but has zero
    > effect on anything else.
    >
    > This is another reason why it's nice to have a body that allows focus screen
    > removal...which makes dust removal easy. The Rebel's focus screen isn't
    > easily removed, short of some disassembly...

    I found replacing the focus screen on my 350D with a Katzeye screen as
    simple as anything, and I can't imagine putting the original screen
    back being any more difficult. Anyone capable of using the camera
    should have no trouble at all with the task.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 22, 2006
  7. Pete Baston

    Mark² Guest

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    >
    >> Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>> "Pete Baston" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sure, transportation will redistribute internal "dandruff." These
    >>> cameras are not assembled in clean rooms.

    >> It's not likely from construction environment. More likely, it's
    >> managed to get in there via use/lens changes. It is indeed
    >> annoying, but has zero effect on anything else.
    >>
    >> This is another reason why it's nice to have a body that allows
    >> focus screen removal...which makes dust removal easy. The Rebel's
    >> focus screen isn't easily removed, short of some disassembly...

    > I found replacing the focus screen on my 350D with a Katzeye screen as
    > simple as anything, and I can't imagine putting the original screen
    > back being any more difficult. Anyone capable of using the camera
    > should have no trouble at all with the task.

    Ah. If so, then they've changed from earlier models.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 22, 2006
  8. Pete Baston wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    > looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the
    > viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >
    > Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    > these ?
    >
    > I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    > lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    > presumably shaken up somewhat.

    I got a few of them on the inside of the focusing screen on my 30D. I have
    tried to use compressed air to remove them, without luck. I just managed to
    move them a bit.

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Nov 22, 2006
  9. Pete Baston

    Pete Baston Guest

    In message <>, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    <> writes
    >Pete Baston wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My EOS350D (Digital Rebel ?) has some specks of dirt visible when
    >> looking through the viewfinder. These are only on the interior of the
    >> viewfinder, and don't affect the picture, but are annoying !
    >>
    >> Has anybody noticed anything similar, and any tips on getting rid of
    >> these ?
    >>
    >> I don't really know how the dirt got inside, I tend not to change the
    >> lens. The specks appeared after the camera was transported, and
    >> presumably shaken up somewhat.

    >I got a few of them on the inside of the focusing screen on my 30D. I have
    >tried to use compressed air to remove them, without luck. I just managed to
    >move them a bit.

    Thanks for the replies.

    My specks do seem to be on the inside of the focus screen - the answer
    seems to be to put up with them !

    Pete.

    --
    Pete Baston