    digital sensor changes the ratings.

    Thanks

    Paul
    Wapenga, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Wapenga wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Hope you can help.
    >
    > I've got a Canon EOS300 film and am thinking of moving to digital.
    > I've got the EOS300 28-90mm lens, a Tokina wide angle 17-35mm and a
    > cheap Canon zoom 70-300mm.
    >
    > Can I save money by getting just the EOS300D body and using the above
    > lenses, or is the 18-55mm worth having and worth paying extra for?
    > Will all my film lenses still be useful with this body? I know the
    > digital sensor changes the ratings.

    Considering the price that 18-55 is a very nice lens and the range is
    very useful, at at least it is for me. However you have a good range of
    lenses already. You own shooting habits and needs will determine what you
    need.

    I will say this. While that lens is impressive for the price, I have
    several pre-digital Canon lenses that out perform it.. Not noticeable until
    about 16x20.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 24, 2004

  3. I would say go for it. Your shortest lens (17-35) will be wide-to-normal on
    the 300D. Your 28-90 will be normal-to-medium-telephoto.

    The only advantages of the 18-55 are that (1) it's cheap, and (2) it goes
    from wide to telephoto, all in one lens. Normal for the 300D is about 30
    mm.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Wapenga

    DHB Guest

    On 24 Oct 2004 06:37:46 -0700, (Wapenga) wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >Hope you can help.
    >
    >I've got a Canon EOS300 film and am thinking of moving to digital.
    >I've got the EOS300 28-90mm lens, a Tokina wide angle 17-35mm and a
    >cheap Canon zoom 70-300mm.
    >
    >Can I save money by getting just the EOS300D body and using the above
    >lenses, or is the 18-55mm worth having and worth paying extra for?
    >Will all my film lenses still be useful with this body? I know the
    >digital sensor changes the ratings.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Paul

    Paul,
    As Joseph E. Meehan wrote "Considering the price that 18-55 is
    a very nice lens and the range is very useful, at least it is for me."
    On this we completely agree, no it's not Canon "L" glass, yes it a
    light plastic bodied lens, does not have a almost silent USM focus
    motor & it maybe not overly durable but with a little care it should
    reform well for you & last a long time.

    Some people tend to look down on inexpensive things before
    checking them out. This lens got a lot of that type of bad mouthing
    when it was 1st introduced with the Digital Rebel/300D but soon the
    reviews started to come in & almost all of the negative voices of poor
    expectations disappeared.

    IMHO, 2 of the best lens values produced by Canon are their
    18-55mm kit lens ($100.00 USD) & the 50mm f1.8 II (70.00 USD). Last
    point to consider is what lens do you want to leave on this DSLR if
    you later decide to sell it to upgrade to the a better DSLR? This
    might be a good lens to sell it with, because it's a EF-S lens it may
    not fit on your next DSLR anyway.

    Ultimately the choice is yours to make but consider it
    carefully because this lens is still only available as a kit lens or
    on E-bay where you might be surprised @ what they sell for.

    Just something else to consider.

    Respectfully, DHB
    DHB, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Wapenga

    Chuck Guest

    dont get the 18-55, all the lenses you have cover that range and are better
    than that toy.

    Chuck, Oct 24, 2004
  6. "Wapenga" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Hope you can help.
    >
    > I've got a Canon EOS300 film and am thinking of moving to digital.
    > I've got the EOS300 28-90mm lens, a Tokina wide angle 17-35mm and a
    > cheap Canon zoom 70-300mm.
    >
    > Can I save money by getting just the EOS300D body and using the above
    > lenses, or is the 18-55mm worth having and worth paying extra for?

    Yes, because it has a nice range (good general purpose lens), is a good
    value and it's light without being "junky." Almost all owners like theirs.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 24, 2004
  7. << I've got a Canon EOS300 film and am thinking of moving to digital.
    I've got the EOS300 28-90mm lens, a Tokina wide angle 17-35mm and a
    cheap Canon zoom 70-300mm. >>

    Paul-

    Before you decide, you should verify that the Tokina will work with the digital
    body. If not, can it be "re-chipped"?

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Oct 24, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    (Wapenga) wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > Hope you can help.
    >
    > I've got a Canon EOS300 film and am thinking of moving to digital.
    > I've got the EOS300 28-90mm lens, a Tokina wide angle 17-35mm and a
    > cheap Canon zoom 70-300mm.
    >
    > Can I save money by getting just the EOS300D body and using the above
    > lenses, or is the 18-55mm worth having and worth paying extra for?
    > Will all my film lenses still be useful with this body? I know the
    > digital sensor changes the ratings.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    The 18-55 kit lens sucks but it has uses when it's priced at $100. It's
    good for parties and hiking where you want wide angles, low weight, and
    expendability. Common use of the lens in hazardous conditions makes the
    public sale price pretty good.

    If you're only looking for high quality photographs, don't bother with
    it. I can see lathe cuts on the back lens and the focusing mechanism
    flops around.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 26, 2004
  9. "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message

    > The 18-55 kit lens sucks but it has uses when it's priced at $100. It's
    > good for parties and hiking where you want wide angles, low weight, and
    > expendability. Common use of the lens in hazardous conditions makes the
    > public sale price pretty good.
    >
    > If you're only looking for high quality photographs, don't bother with
    > it. I can see lathe cuts on the back lens and the focusing mechanism
    > flops around.

    How are the pictures you get with it?

    Would an entry-level Sigma or Tamron or Tokina zoom be a better investment?
    Maybe one that does not go so super-wide, something like 24 to 80 mm.
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Wapenga

    Skip M Guest

    > The 18-55 kit lens sucks but it has uses when it's priced at $100. It's
    > good for parties and hiking where you want wide angles, low weight, and
    > expendability. Common use of the lens in hazardous conditions makes the
    > public sale price pretty good.
    >
    > If you're only looking for high quality photographs, don't bother with
    > it. I can see lathe cuts on the back lens and the focusing mechanism
    > flops around.

    Actually, I've been rather startled at the quality of that 18-55 lens, and
    would be at twice the price. I, like several others I know, took that lens
    as part of the kit so we could get the 20D when Canon wasn't shipping body
    only. All of us are impressed with the optical quality, and get a chuckle
    out of the build quality, or lack thereof. I think the only glass in that
    lens are the front and rear elements. It weighs about the same as my 50mm
    f1.8 mkII, a much smaller lens. But I don't know what you're talking about
    with the lathe cuts and focusing mechanism. If there were actually lathe
    cuts on the back element, that would seriously compromise the optics, and
    are not evident on our edition. And the mechanics of the lens are tight,
    just very light.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Wapenga

    Robert Barr Guest

    > Actually, I've been rather startled at the quality of that 18-55 lens, and
    > would be at twice the price. I, like several others I know, took that lens
    > as part of the kit so we could get the 20D when Canon wasn't shipping body
    > only. All of us are impressed with the optical quality, and get a chuckle
    > out of the build quality, or lack thereof.

    That's how I got mine -- a new 20D owner dumped it on eBay, and I picked
    it up for $76 brand new. With a quick modification, it works fine on my
    D60. I'm pretty pleased with it, and I wonder what similar image
    quality in that focal length range would cost me otherwise.

    The only machining marks on mine are from my Dremel tool, and those
    cleaned up nicely...
    Robert Barr, Oct 27, 2004
  12. Wapenga

    DDDD Guest

    I plan on buying the 300D kit, since it is only about $60 more expensive
    than the body only. I figure that it has to be worth that, at least. I
    have 3 lenses (?) from my film rebel that I will probably use most of the
    time.

    I had a thread earlier asking for help deciding which camera to buy, and
    based on comments from everyone, I have decided on the 300D. Thanks to
    everyone who made comments and made my decision easier.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Oct 27, 2004