    Thank You
    John

    Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

    John Kecskes, Dec 17, 2009

  2. John Kecskes

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 17/12/2009 06:42, John Kecskes wrote:
    > I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am getting is
    > "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens contact.
    > can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.
    > Thank You
    > John
    >

    > Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

    IIRC Sigma has never got the official license for the Canon mount and is
    doing reverse-engineering. Usually their lenses work with Canon bodies
    available when the lens goes to market.

    However I heard that some lenses can receive a firmware upgrade which
    allows them to work on more recent bodies.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Dec 17, 2009

  3. John Kecskes

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    John Kecskes <> wrote:

    > I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am
    > getting is
    > "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens
    > contact.
    > can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on
    > a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.

    I have the same camera, but not the same lens. If other lenses work fine
    on your camera, contact Sigma for assistance. If no other lenses work on
    your camera, contact Canon for assistance. Good luck.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 17, 2009
  4. John Kecskes

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ofnuts wrote:
    > On 17/12/2009 06:42, John Kecskes wrote:
    >> I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I
    >> am getting is "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is
    >> faulty, clean lens contact.
    >> can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not
    >> work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version. Thank You
    >> John
    >>

    >> Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too
    >> old to remember it.

    Clean the contacts--it does no harm and if it fixes the problem then you
    know that that was it.

    > IIRC Sigma has never got the official license for the Canon mount and
    > is
    > doing reverse-engineering.

    While this is true it misleadingly suggests that there _is_ an "official
    license from Canon". Canon claims that _no_ third party has been licensed
    to manufacture lenses using the Canon mount and that _all_ such lenses are
    necessarily reverse-engineered. Some apparently do a better job of it than
    others--some Sigma stuff doesn't even work with other Sigma stuff which is
    kind of crazy, but it's hard to blame a license for that.

    > Usually their lenses work with Canon bodies
    > available when the lens goes to market.
    >
    > However I heard that some lenses can receive a firmware upgrade which
    > allows them to work on more recent bodies.

    Best thing to do is call Sigma tech support and see what they say. They do
    answer the phone, and if there's a known fix they'll be happy to apply it
    for you--the people at Sigma USA, however, are technicians, not engineers,
    and depend on the engineers in Japan to actually develop the fixes so they
    can't come up with a firmware fix for a problem that the Japanese haven't
    decided to address.

    J. Clarke, Dec 17, 2009
  5. John Kecskes

    John Kecskes Guest

    On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:42:23 +1100, John Kecskes <> wrote:

    >I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am getting is
    >"Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens contact.
    >can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.
    >Thank You
    >John
    >

    >Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

    Thank You all for the info

    John Kecskes, Dec 18, 2009