    heard that most of them have this problem after
    2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

    Jim P

    Jim P, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Jim P

    Panos Guest

    Jim P wrote:
    > I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    > heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >

    > Jim P

    The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
    buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
    make you a happier photographer in the long term.

    Panos, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Jim P

    Bigma Guest

    "Jim P" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    > heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >

    > Jim P

    Several years with a D Rebel, lenses: Canon kit, + Canon 1.8 50 mm, + 2
    Sigma telezooms.
    Never seen a single error xyz, through 6000+ shoots.

    Gorgeous clean skys at 100 ISO
    Would'nt exchange it for any Nikon.

    Did you clean the battery and internal power contacts?

    ;-)

    mb

    Bigma, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Jim P

    Jim P Guest

    "Bigma" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim P" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >> Both lenses were canon.
    >> I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >> Removed the battery and lenses.
    >> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    >> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    >> heard that most of them have this problem after
    >> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >>

    >> Jim P
    >>

    > Several years with a D Rebel, lenses: Canon kit, + Canon 1.8 50 mm, + 2
    > Sigma telezooms.
    > Never seen a single error xyz, through 6000+ shoots.
    >
    > Gorgeous clean skys at 100 ISO
    > Would'nt exchange it for any Nikon.
    >
    > Did you clean the battery and internal power contacts?
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > mb

    Tried all of the "internet search" fixes.
    I was hoping that I could just find a fix and save myself $200.

    Jim P, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Jim P

    plb49 Guest

    With my old 350D, I got error 99 with one Canon lens only--sent the
    lens back to Canon, repaired for $90, no problems since on that 350D or
    new 400D.
    Paul B.

    plb49, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Jim P

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:59:07 -0500, "Jim P" <> wrote:

    >I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >Both lenses were canon.
    >I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >Removed the battery and lenses.
    >Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    >It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    >heard that most of them have this problem after
    >2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >

    >Jim P

    Error 99 is the 'catchall' error number.
    You seem to have covered the basics, and no, it's not normal for
    Canons to develop a problem after 2000 pictures. Do you really think
    Canon could sell more DSLRs than any other maker if this were true?
    And yes, it's a shame. Stuff happens.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Jim P

    SimonLW Guest

    "Panos" <> wrote in message

    > Jim P wrote:
    >> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >> Both lenses were canon.
    >> I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >> Removed the battery and lenses.
    >> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    >> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    >> heard that most of them have this problem after
    >> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >>

    >> Jim P

    > The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
    > buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
    > make you a happier photographer in the long term.

    Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony was tops
    which is a shock to me.
    -S

    SimonLW, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Jim P

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Jim P wrote:
    >
    > I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?

    Probably not since cleaning the contacts didn't fix it ...

    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?

    Typically hardware ... we had a lens give this problem a few months ago
    and it was a burned out diode in the lens, fixed for abour $90.

    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    > heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

    No. A couple of my Canons are still going strong after 35,000 frames
    and not-so-gentle use. You are just unlucky.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Jim P

    Pete D Guest

    "SimonLW" <> wrote in message
    > "Panos" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Jim P wrote:
    >>> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >>> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >>> Both lenses were canon.
    >>> I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >>> Removed the battery and lenses.
    >>> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    >>> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    >>> heard that most of them have this problem after
    >>> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >>>

    >>> Jim P

    >> The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
    >> buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
    >> make you a happier photographer in the long term.
    >>

    > Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony was
    > tops which is a shock to me.
    > -S

    Shock to me too, most problems reported here would be from Canon errors
    followed a low way behind would be Nikon flashing light of no response.
    Seriously there is not that many problems and those reported here would most
    likely be from heavy users so would be over represented.

    Pete D, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Jim P

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:59:07 -0500, "Jim P" <> wrote:

    >I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >Both lenses were canon.
    >I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >Removed the battery and lenses.

    Did you try a different CF card?

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Jim P

    Pat Guest

    Jim P wrote:
    > I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    > heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >

    > Jim P

    If it won't clear, then it has to back to Canon. But try different
    lenses, batteries, cards, etc. first.

    Call their repair center and ask if they will handle it under warrant.
    At 2000 images, the thing is still a baby. I've got about 18,000 on
    one and 12,000 on the other. I get the old 99 on occasion, but I know
    it's a lens that sticks up.

    Pat, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Jim P wrote:
    > I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I have
    > heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >

    > Jim P

    Jim,

    I also got the dreaded Error 99 and I got it the day before I was to
    attend a Tamron Workshop. Tamron loaned me one of their high end lenses
    and when I put it on the camera and turned it on...you guessed
    it...Error 99. It was just a coincidence that I got the error as I had
    just used the camera 2 days previous to that day.

    I tried different batteries, CF cards, & Lenses...nothing worked. I
    sent the Camera to the Canon Service Center in California and it cost me
    $210.00 to get it fixed. When I got the receipt back all of the charge
    was for labor...no hardware costs were involved. They diagnosed/fixed
    the camera in less than a week.

    They didn't say what the problem was with the Camera.

    Michael Calverley, Nov 8, 2006
  13. Jim P

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "SimonLW" <> wrote in message
    >> "Panos" <> wrote in message

    >>> The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses and
    >>> buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem and
    >>> make you a happier photographer in the long term.
    >>>

    >> Why? A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable. Sony was
    >> tops which is a shock to me.
    >> -S

    > Shock to me too, most problems reported here would be from Canon errors
    > followed a low way behind would be Nikon flashing light of no response.
    > Seriously there is not that many problems and those reported here would
    > most likely be from heavy users so would be over represented.

    Canon sells one heck of a lot of cameras and thus you will hear more of any
    problems here.
    One interesting point is Consumer Reports rated digital cameras in general
    as the most reliable of the electronic devices on the market. As long as you
    take care of it, it will likely provide you good service.
    John
    John

    JohnR66, Nov 8, 2006
  14. JohnR66 wrote:

    > Canon sells one heck of a lot of cameras and thus you will hear more
    > of any problems here.

    Yeah, that's why Canon must rush them out the door so quickly before
    developing a stable system. How often do you Canon guys update your
    firmware? I thought they had a new patch out once a month. Geez! Is Canon
    competing with Microsoft?

    As for Error 99, that means it's time to buy a Nikon.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 8, 2006
  15. Jim P

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > SimonLW wrote:
    >
    > A recent survey found Canon cameras to be more reliable.

    Interesting ... I use Canon gear and have generally been pretty happy
    with it, but the past two years I've seen the following problems ...

    1) IS mechanism on the 500 f/4 L IS would oscillate when the lens was
    pointed down about 30 degrees or more. Discovered on a trip to Alaska
    where I was shooting downward on a cliff face at nesting seabirds.
    Forced to turn IS off for certain situations.

    Fixed for $180 at the Irvine repair center.

    2) Wife's 2x converter had a sticking locking pin such that
    occasionally it wouldn't lock on to the camera, a real pain when you
    have a $5,000 lens on the other end ready to obey the laws of gravity
    and fall off (I read about one guy breaking a 600 f/4 L IS when his 2x
    converter didn't lock and the lens/t-c combo hit the parking lot
    asphalt).

    Fixed for about $60 by Canon.

    3) 28-105 lens (kit lens with ancient EOS-3) gave the Err-99 problem
    on several bodies. This lens was given to my wife's nephew 3 years ago
    so I don't know how it was used. It's probably 10 years old by now.
    Diagnosed as a burnt-out diode inside the lens.

    Fixed for $135 by local camera shop (my wife thought the quote was for
    $85 so agreed to have it fixed, but $85 was just for the part).

    4) Wife purchased an XTi (Rebel 400d) a few weeks ago as replacement
    for a 10D as a backup body. The much vaunted "Auto Sensor Cleaning"
    function does practically nothing. The first body received had one
    dust or liquid smear under the glass cover and we returned it.

    The second body they sent had a larger smear that also would not clear
    up with aggressive manual sensor cleaning but it's at the edge of the
    frame so rather than take two weeks to return it, have it verified and
    get a replacement she's keeping it, but not real happy with their
    quality control.

    Maybe there is something to the questions about Canon reliability and
    QA. I'm saying that as someone who (with my wife) currently has five
    digital bodies, two film bodies and 21 Canon EF lenses.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 8, 2006
  16. Jim P

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > 2) Wife's 2x converter had a sticking locking pin such that
    > occasionally it wouldn't lock on to the camera, a real pain when you
    > have a $5,000 lens on the other end ready to obey the laws of gravity
    > and fall off

    Don't you check that a lens has locked once you've screwed it on? I
    don't think I've *ever* attached a lens without confirming that it's
    locked by trying to turn it "the other way". It's a reflex action:
    align, insert, twist to lock, twist to test lock; it takes no time.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.

    Justin C, Nov 9, 2006
  17. Jim P

    Mark² Guest

    Jim P wrote:
    > I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    > Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    > Both lenses were canon.
    > I tried cleaning the contacts.
    > Removed the battery and lenses.
    > Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    > It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I
    > have heard that most of them have this problem after
    > 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?

    What lens are you using?

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 9, 2006
  18. Jim P

    Mark² Guest

    Panos wrote:
    > Jim P wrote:
    >> I have a Canon Eos Rebel and it just gave me the dreaded error 99.
    >> Is there a fix other than send it to the factory?
    >> Both lenses were canon.
    >> I tried cleaning the contacts.
    >> Removed the battery and lenses.
    >> Is this an actual hardware or software problem?
    >> It is a shame when a camera breaks just a month out of warranty. I
    >> have heard that most of them have this problem after
    >> 2000 pictures. Is this a true statement?
    >>

    >> Jim P

    > The best solution for this problem is to sell your Rebel and lenses
    > and buy a Nikon D50 or D80. This will resolve the "error 99" problem
    > and make you a happier photographer in the long term.

    Oh brother.
    I've shot countless thousands of images with three different Canon DSLRs and
    have yet to see an error like that.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 9, 2006
  19. Jim P

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:
    >
    >> 2) Wife's 2x converter had a sticking locking pin such that
    >> occasionally it wouldn't lock on to the camera

    > Justin C wrote:
    >
    > Don't you check that a lens has locked once you've screwed it on?

    Sure, every time, and I've never had one that didn't lock smoothly ...
    but the pin on my wife's 2x wouldn't engage fully so sometimes it would
    feel like it was solid, then work free after a bit. First time or two
    this happens it's a real surprise, and when you're changing lenses
    often it's easy to have it slip.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 9, 2006
  20. Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > JohnR66 wrote:
    >
    >> Canon sells one heck of a lot of cameras and thus you will hear more
    >> of any problems here.

    > Yeah, that's why Canon must rush them out the door so quickly before
    > developing a stable system. How often do you Canon guys update your
    > firmware? I thought they had a new patch out once a month. Geez! Is
    > Canon
    > competing with Microsoft?
    >
    > As for Error 99, that means it's time to buy a Nikon.

    Oh, yeah. About the same as the BSD indicating one must get a Mac.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was
    room-temperature Canadian beef.

    John McWilliams, Nov 9, 2006