    Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
    there a converter?

    Thanks

    M, Jun 24, 2007

  2. M

    Bhogi Guest

    M wrote:
    > Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
    > EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
    > the edge.
    >
    > I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
    > 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
    > the digital body?
    >
    > Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
    > there a converter?
    >
    > Thanks

    I'd go with a kit 400d + EF-S 18-55. The quality of the kit lens is
    comparable to 80-200 (f4.5-5.6?) and it's realy inexpensive. You won't
    be using 35-80 at all I think (I had the same starting point!), and
    the 80-200 will be quite useful. I'd also consider buying 50mm f1.8
    too, it's the most inexpensive of all lenses, a great value, and a
    great portrait lens on a 400d.
    You can't use EF lenses on Nikon.

    Bhogi, Jun 24, 2007

  3. M

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:15:59 -0700, Bhogi <> wrote:
    : M wrote:
    : > Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
    : > EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
    : > the edge.
    : >
    :
    : I'd go with a kit 400d + EF-S 18-55. The quality of the kit lens is
    : comparable to 80-200 (f4.5-5.6?) and it's realy inexpensive. You won't
    : be using 35-80 at all I think (I had the same starting point!), and
    : the 80-200 will be quite useful. I'd also consider buying 50mm f1.8
    : too, it's the most inexpensive of all lenses, a great value, and a
    : great portrait lens on a 400d.
    : You can't use EF lenses on Nikon.

    Your two film camera lenses are both telephotos on a 400D, so you would want
    to acquire a "primary" zoom lens (mild WA to mild tele). I'd suggest that in
    lieu of the kit lens you consider the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. It's more expensive,
    but you'd expect to use it a lot. It maintains F2.8 over its entire zoom
    range, which is unusual in a lens in its price range. I've been happy with
    mine, which I was talked into buying by a colleague at work who has the
    equivalent Sigma lens for his Nikon. And there's now an improved version with
    macro capability (down to 7.5 in., IIRC).

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 24, 2007
  4. M

    Matt Ion Guest

    M wrote:
    > Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
    > EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
    > the edge.
    >
    > I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
    > 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
    > the digital body?
    >
    > Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
    > there a converter?

    Lot of suggestions of other lenses, but the short answer is, yes, your
    existing EOS lenses will work on the 400D. Any EF-mount lens will work
    on any EOS camera.

    Matt Ion, Jun 24, 2007
  5. "M" <> wrote in message
    > Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
    > EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
    > the edge.
    >
    > I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
    > 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
    > the digital body?
    >
    > Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
    > there a converter?

    Since your existing Canon lenses are only two in number, and apparently
    quite inexpensive ones, I'd trade 'em both in with the camera (or sell the
    whole kit on eBay) and buy a D40 or D40x with comparable Nikkor lenses,
    which are also inexpensive. For various reasons I don't think a converter
    would be at all practicable (if even possible) in your case.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 24, 2007