Canon Eos 300D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Townsend, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Jim Townsend

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I am looking for a new high end digital camera. I was looking at the Sony
    > F828 but someone told me to pay that little bit extra & go for the Eos300D
    > SLR. Is there a big difference between these apart from one being SLR &
    > which would i really be better off buying as i can't help feeling that i
    > will end up getting the wrong one so all posotive advice would be welcome
    > please.

    In a nutshell.. The main benefits of the 300D are:

    Faster focus (less shutter lag)

    FAR less noise at high ISO settings ISO 800 on the 300D will
    yeild a cleaner picture than ISO 200 on the F828

    The ability to change lenses allowing you to choose wider
    angles or longer focal lengths than the F828.

    The F828 has some advantages:

    The F828 is an 8 Megapixel camera rather than 6. It also has a
    4:3 aspect rather than the 3:2 of the D-Rebelratio. Because of
    this, the F828 will give you a *lot* more DPI when printing
    on 10 X 8 paper.

    Cost... Buying lenses isn't cheap... A versatile set of
    quality lenses can easily cost a few thousand dollars.. More
    than the camera itself.

    Philip, Jul 8, 2004

  3. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a new high end digital camera. I was looking at the Sony
    > F828 but someone told me to pay that little bit extra & go for the Eos300D
    > SLR. Is there a big difference between these apart from one being SLR &
    > which would i really be better off buying as i can't help feeling that i
    > will end up getting the wrong one so all posotive advice would be welcome
    > please.

    Go to a camera store and handle both of them. The feel is very important as
    is the user interface. Many stores will let you take shots inside. You can
    download the 300D user's manual from Canon's site and the same could be so
    for Sony.

    A SLR is more camera and might be in excess of what you need or want. The
    big SLR advantage is flexibility with lenses and other accessories. But,
    you could wind up spending more than you counted on as SLRs tempt owners to
    buy additional lenses and other accessories. Response time and lower noise
    are also notable factors.

    I have a 300D and would recommend that you also look at the D70 if you
    decide on the SLR path. I like my 300D very much, by the way.
    Charles Schuler, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Jim Townsend

    Rick Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a new high end digital camera. I was looking at the Sony
    > F828 but someone told me to pay that little bit extra & go for the Eos300D
    > SLR. Is there a big difference between these apart from one being SLR &
    > which would i really be better off buying as i can't help feeling that i
    > will end up getting the wrong one so all posotive advice would be welcome
    > please.

    Actually, the price of the two is right about the same, so you wouldn't be
    paying extra. It depends on what you're looking for from the camera. The
    Canon is more of a CAMERA camera, that just happens to be digital. The Sony
    is a digital machine from the word go. It has all the bells and whistles
    associated with digicams, including the ability to record digital movies
    with sound, and an infrared filter to make recordings and pictures at night.
    It also has a great lens.
    What the Canon has is versatility and a much better sensor. Though the Sony
    has 8MP that is squeezed onto a smaller chip, which can create problems with
    purple fringing and digital noise. The Canon's sensor will give you MUCH
    less digital noise, clearer pictures in general and better colors. It also
    has the ability to accept a wide variety of lenses, from wide angle fish
    eyes to 500mm telephotos. Now, you will pay extra for these lenses, but you
    don't have to buy them all at once.
    The DRebel is more for a photography hobbyist, while the Sony is a high end
    consumer camera when all is said and done. If you are "into" photography,
    get the Canon. If you just want to take some cool pictures on your
    vacation, get the Sony.
    Rick, Jul 8, 2004
  5. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    []
    > The DRebel is more for a photography hobbyist, while the Sony is a high

    end
    > consumer camera when all is said and done. If you are "into"

    photography,
    > get the Canon. If you just want to take some cool pictures on your
    > vacation, get the Sony.

    I don't see it quite like that. I bought Nikon Coolpix (first a 900, then
    990 and now a 5700) because I am serious about photography and want full
    manual control, but I no longer wish to cart round a heavy bagful of
    lenses, flashguns etc. The much lower cost comes as a welcome bonus. I
    have been delighted with the 5700 (having come from a film SLR with
    interchangeable lens background).

    Unless low-noise at high ISO is essential, or extreme lenses are required,
    I see the DSLR more as a way that manufacturers can get someone just
    starting into buying their lenses, i.e. tying you into a brand. It's an
    expensive route.

    A good point-and-shoot is just as suitable for the "photographic
    hobbyist", IMHO, providing it does not get in the way of picture making.
    It's the photographer who makes the picture, not the camera!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004
  6. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote:
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > > The DRebel is more for a photography hobbyist, while the Sony is a high

    > end
    > > consumer camera when all is said and done. If you are "into"

    > photography,
    > > get the Canon. If you just want to take some cool pictures on your
    > > vacation, get the Sony.

    > I don't see it quite like that. I bought Nikon Coolpix (first a 900, then
    > 990 and now a 5700) because I am serious about photography and want full
    > manual control, but I no longer wish to cart round a heavy bagful of
    > lenses, flashguns etc. The much lower cost comes as a welcome bonus. I
    > have been delighted with the 5700 (having come from a film SLR with
    > interchangeable lens background).
    >
    > Unless low-noise at high ISO is essential, or extreme lenses are required,
    > I see the DSLR more as a way that manufacturers can get someone just
    > starting into buying their lenses, i.e. tying you into a brand. It's an
    > expensive route.

    You've got it ass backwards: the consumer cameras are sleazy tricks the mfrs
    are putting over on us to force us to buy a new expensive complex zoom lens
    every time they update the sensor.

    With the dSLRs, about the time you've worn out the shutter and need a new
    body anyway, they'll have a new sensor out.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 9, 2004
  7. "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    []
    > You've got it ass backwards: the consumer cameras are sleazy tricks the

    mfrs
    > are putting over on us to force us to buy a new expensive complex zoom

    lens
    > every time they update the sensor.
    >
    > With the dSLRs, about the time you've worn out the shutter and need a

    new
    > body anyway, they'll have a new sensor out.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    I *think* I detect humour there?

    The last time I updated my camera was effectively for a new lens - 35 -
    280mm to replace 38 - 114mm, it was chance that a 5MP sensor came with it
    instead of my existing 3.3MP one! For my purposes now, the 5MP sensor may
    well be enough, although if one came out in a significantly larger format,
    but keeping the camera size and weight the same I might be tempted.

    Actually, right now we are looking for a stabilised telephoto P&S - which
    will be say 420mm f/4.5 or 350mm f/2.8 (top of the head specs). Cost -
    about $500. What would be the cost of the equivalent DSLR IS lens?

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004
  8. Jim Townsend

    Marli Guest

    Get the 300D, The image quality with the Sony is woeful... If someone gave
    me a Sony 828 I would give it back.

    Marli, Jul 9, 2004
  9. Jim Townsend

    Skip M Guest

    wrote in message news:npsHc.1781$...
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > You've got it ass backwards: the consumer cameras are sleazy tricks the

    > mfrs
    > > are putting over on us to force us to buy a new expensive complex zoom

    > lens
    > > every time they update the sensor.
    > >
    > > With the dSLRs, about the time you've worn out the shutter and need a

    > new
    > > body anyway, they'll have a new sensor out.
    > >
    > > David J. Littleboy
    > > Tokyo, Japan

    > I *think* I detect humour there?
    >
    > The last time I updated my camera was effectively for a new lens - 35 -
    > 280mm to replace 38 - 114mm, it was chance that a 5MP sensor came with it
    > instead of my existing 3.3MP one! For my purposes now, the 5MP sensor may
    > well be enough, although if one came out in a significantly larger format,
    > but keeping the camera size and weight the same I might be tempted.
    >
    > Actually, right now we are looking for a stabilised telephoto P&S - which
    > will be say 420mm f/4.5 or 350mm f/2.8 (top of the head specs). Cost -
    > about $500. What would be the cost of the equivalent DSLR IS lens?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Ahem, about $2500... (Canon 28-300 f3.5-5.6L IS) And it's probably slower
    than the p&s, too...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Jim Townsend

    Rick Guest

    wrote in message news:TLrHc.1766$...
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > The DRebel is more for a photography hobbyist, while the Sony is a high

    > end
    > > consumer camera when all is said and done. If you are "into"

    > photography,
    > > get the Canon. If you just want to take some cool pictures on your
    > > vacation, get the Sony.

    > I don't see it quite like that.

    See it however you want, I don't care. Give your own opinion and don't
    worry about mine.
    Rick, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Jim Townsend

    Larry Guest

    In article <40ee769f$>, says...
    > Get the 300D, The image quality with the Sony is woeful... If someone gave
    > me a Sony 828 I would give it back.

    The Images from the 828 are not "WOEFUL"

    They are what is to be expected from a 2/3 image sensor with 8 megapixels.

    It suffers from SOME ca/pf, and because of the range of the lens it doesnt do
    the greatest macro shooting, overall a very good camera with a few faults.

    To get a Rebel with the same lens range would cost a lot more than the basic
    828.

    If you use the 828 with its limitations in mind, it can do some wonderfull
    work.

    IT IS NOT A DSLR, and to expect ir to perform like one is ridiculous.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Jim Townsend

    Alan D Guest

    I too was looking at the Sony F828 and the Canon PowerPro Shot 1. With
    those cameras being somewhat bulky (the Sony is big), the cost point being
    $800-$1000, I decided I was finally going to get a dSRL and opted on the
    Canon EOS 300D. As far as lenses, you can get the kit lens with the Rebel
    (300D) which is an 18-55mm for an extra $100 putting the price of the camera
    and the lens at less than $900 (look at http://www.newegg.com or
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com). If you do not want that lens, you can save
    $100 and invest into a lens you want. Other reasonable USM Canon lenses
    such as the 75-300mm and 55-200mm can be had for $160. Those are not the
    same optics that you get when you pay $3000 for a lens, but it depends upon
    what you think you need. You are not getting a $3000 lens with those other
    cameras either.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 9, 2004
  13. Jim Townsend

    Guest

    I was going to mail you a new 828 this morning. Thanks for saving me the
    postage. ;->

    Vic

    Archived from "Marli" <> on Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:43:51 +0800:

    >Get the 300D, The image quality with the Sony is woeful... If someone gave
    >me a Sony 828 I would give it back.
    >

    >"Philip" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking for a new high end digital camera. I was looking at the Sony
    >> F828 but someone told me to pay that little bit extra & go for the Eos300D
    >> SLR. Is there a big difference between these apart from one being SLR &
    >> which would i really be better off buying as i can't help feeling thati
    >> will end up getting the wrong one so all posotive advice would be welcome
    >> please.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Phil.

    , Jul 9, 2004
  14. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    []
    > See it however you want, I don't care. Give your own opinion and don't
    > worry about mine.

    No, certainly I would not worry about your opinion, but I would respect
    your right to hold it. I do care.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004
  15. Jim Townsend

    Rick Guest

    wrote in message news:V7yHc.1991$...
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > See it however you want, I don't care. Give your own opinion and don't
    > > worry about mine.

    > No, certainly I would not worry about your opinion, but I would respect
    > your right to hold it. I do care.

    You shouldn't. You made your choice based on your opinion and your needs
    and no one should be able to convince you that it was wrong for you. That
    doesn't mean it would be right for others, however.
    Rick, Jul 9, 2004
  16. Jim Townsend

    Dan Pidcock Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in message news:<npsHc.1781$>...
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > You've got it ass backwards: the consumer cameras are sleazy tricks the

    > mfrs
    > > are putting over on us to force us to buy a new expensive complex zoom

    > lens
    > > every time they update the sensor.
    > >
    > > With the dSLRs, about the time you've worn out the shutter and need a

    > new
    > > body anyway, they'll have a new sensor out.
    > >
    > > David J. Littleboy
    > > Tokyo, Japan

    > I *think* I detect humour there?
    >
    > The last time I updated my camera was effectively for a new lens - 35 -
    > 280mm to replace 38 - 114mm, it was chance that a 5MP sensor came with it
    > instead of my existing 3.3MP one! For my purposes now, the 5MP sensor may
    > well be enough, although if one came out in a significantly larger format,
    > but keeping the camera size and weight the same I might be tempted.
    >
    > Actually, right now we are looking for a stabilised telephoto P&S - which
    > will be say 420mm f/4.5 or 350mm f/2.8 (top of the head specs). Cost -
    > about $500. What would be the cost of the equivalent DSLR IS lens?

    under $400 for Canon 75-300 IS f/4.0-5.6. Or $200 pre-owned which
    could still be in excellent condition and will be as technically
    capable as when it was new.
    With the extra 3 stops over a P&S it's more like equivalent to
    f/1.4-2.0
    The 300mm easily matches up with the 350/420mm you suggest due to the
    improved image quality on the larger higher resolution DSLR sensor -
    more room to crop.

    Dan
    Dan Pidcock, Jul 9, 2004
  17. "Dan Pidcock" <> wrote in message
    []
    > > Actually, right now we are looking for a stabilised telephoto P&S -

    which
    > > will be say 420mm f/4.5 or 350mm f/2.8 (top of the head specs).

    Cost -
    > > about $500. What would be the cost of the equivalent DSLR IS lens?

    > under $400 for Canon 75-300 IS f/4.0-5.6. Or $200 pre-owned which
    > could still be in excellent condition and will be as technically
    > capable as when it was new.
    > With the extra 3 stops over a P&S it's more like equivalent to
    > f/1.4-2.0
    > The 300mm easily matches up with the 350/420mm you suggest due to the
    > improved image quality on the larger higher resolution DSLR sensor -
    > more room to crop.
    >
    > Dan

    Thanks for that, Dan. Part of me says for that price it can't be any
    good, but the last SLR lenses I bought were Nikon! My complete outfit
    (camera, battery, card and lens) would weigh around 1.21lbs - 19oz. About
    the same as the IS lens alone. Add in the 300D and it's twice the weight,
    and you still need a wide-angle lens.....

    You pays your money and takes your choice....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004
  18. Jim Townsend

    leo Guest

    wrote in message news:4HzHc.2073$...
    > "Dan Pidcock" <> wrote in message
    > []
    > > > Actually, right now we are looking for a stabilised telephoto P&S -

    > which
    > > > will be say 420mm f/4.5 or 350mm f/2.8 (top of the head specs).

    > Cost -
    > > > about $500. What would be the cost of the equivalent DSLR IS lens?

    > > under $400 for Canon 75-300 IS f/4.0-5.6. Or $200 pre-owned which
    > > could still be in excellent condition and will be as technically
    > > capable as when it was new.
    > > With the extra 3 stops over a P&S it's more like equivalent to
    > > f/1.4-2.0
    > > The 300mm easily matches up with the 350/420mm you suggest due to the
    > > improved image quality on the larger higher resolution DSLR sensor -
    > > more room to crop.
    > >
    > > Dan

    > Thanks for that, Dan. Part of me says for that price it can't be any
    > good, but the last SLR lenses I bought were Nikon! My complete outfit
    > (camera, battery, card and lens) would weigh around 1.21lbs - 19oz. About
    > the same as the IS lens alone. Add in the 300D and it's twice the weight,
    > and you still need a wide-angle lens.....
    >
    > You pays your money and takes your choice....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Dan:
    Where can you get a pre-owned 75-300mm IS lens for $200? I sold mine with
    accessories not long ago for $380. People on ebay are eagerly looking for
    one at $300 which is not likely available for one in good shape.

    John:
    Please stop trolling your crap of comparing your P&S to a dSLR. The Digital
    Rebel is indeed many times better quality than your Nikon Coolpix. Stop
    comparing consumer products to a professional or semi-pro gears!!
    leo, Jul 9, 2004
  19. "leo" <> wrote in message
    []
    > John:
    > Please stop trolling your crap of comparing your P&S to a dSLR. The

    Digital
    > Rebel is indeed many times better quality than your Nikon Coolpix. Stop
    > comparing consumer products to a professional or semi-pro gears!!

    Did you mean "David"?

    The build quality of the Digital Rebel and of a similarly-priced Nikon
    Coolpix are, I suspect, very similar. They are both built to last, but
    built down to a price. The DR (and the Nikon equivalent) is a consumer
    product - albeit a high-end one - aimed at amateurs. Both Canon and Nikon
    make other professional DSLRs. Note how the features on the DR are
    deliberately limited to avoid eating into the professional sales.

    The P&S and DSLR represent different compromises in camera design, and the
    two do have an overlapping price region. That alone make comparison
    inevitable.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2004
  20. Jim Townsend

    Philip Guest

    I guess that i will need to have a good think about which camera i want to
    go for in the end so thanks everyone for your views & opinions.

    Phil.

    Philip, Jul 10, 2004