    clearly read the road names so there was no camera shake.

    This was a test for the camera.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 2, 2005

  2. Brian

    Eric Gill Guest

    Brian <> wrote in news:h3ac71d5n4g2cmlvo9ssgcpav035o9r5mc@
    4ax.com:

    > The Canon EOS 300D seems to be very steady for low light photos.
    > I've photographed a room in low light conditions at 1/13th shutter
    > speed and enlarged the photo to check for camera shake.
    > I also photographed a page of a A4 sized map in low light using ISO
    > 1600 with a shutter speed of 1/30. I was able to enlarge the map and
    > clearly read the road names so there was no camera shake.
    >
    > This was a test for the camera.

    Sounds more like a test for your tripod or ability to handhold.

    Cameras aren't "steady". Whatever is holding them is.

    Eric Gill, May 2, 2005

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Eric Gill <> wrote:

    >Brian <> wrote in news:h3ac71d5n4g2cmlvo9ssgcpav035o9r5mc@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> The Canon EOS 300D seems to be very steady for low light photos.
    >> I've photographed a room in low light conditions at 1/13th shutter
    >> speed and enlarged the photo to check for camera shake.
    >> I also photographed a page of a A4 sized map in low light using ISO
    >> 1600 with a shutter speed of 1/30. I was able to enlarge the map and
    >> clearly read the road names so there was no camera shake.
    >>
    >> This was a test for the camera.

    >Sounds more like a test for your tripod or ability to handhold.
    >
    >Cameras aren't "steady". Whatever is holding them is.

    I was thinking of photographing some maps in the public library some
    time and was interested to see if the camera would take steady photos.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 2, 2005
  4. Brian

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > I was thinking of photographing some maps in the public library some
    > time and was interested to see if the camera would take steady photos.

    The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod, table
    top, etc.

    PhotoMan, May 2, 2005
  5. Brian

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message

    > The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod,
    > table
    > top, etc.

    Generally true, BUT....
    A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.

    Tumbleweed, May 2, 2005
  6. Brian

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in news:d55h89$1lf$1
    @news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod,
    >> table
    >> top, etc.
    >>

    > Generally true, BUT....
    > A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.

    I really, really doubt you're going to see a difference hand-holding, or
    with any exposure you can hand-hold.

    Eric Gill, May 2, 2005
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:

    >"PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod,
    >> table
    >> top, etc.
    >>

    >Generally true, BUT....
    >A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.

    Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    picture causing extra camera movement.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 3, 2005

  8. > Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    > On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    > meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    > picture causing extra camera movement.

    Slowly squeeze the trigger. Same as shooting weapons.

    Charles Schuler, May 3, 2005
  9. Brian

    Paul Furman Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:

    >>Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    >>On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    >>meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    >>picture causing extra camera movement.

    > Slowly squeeze the trigger. Same as shooting weapons.

    I was always under the impression that a tripod is worthless without a
    remote trigger of some sort though people use monopods too so it's
    obviously not a hard rule.

    PS I set my camera to burst mode so that if I press slowly, it'll take a
    few shots before I can release which is sort of annoying. I guess I
    should change that, it probably does diminish my stability to make quick
    jabs as I'm inclined to do to avoid a burst.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 3, 2005
  10. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod,
    >>>table
    >>>top, etc.
    >>>

    >>Generally true, BUT....
    >>A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.
    >>

    > Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    > On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    > meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    > picture causing extra camera movement.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    UUUUH, that's why you have a THUMB. Put it under the camera, and
    SQUEEZE. No button 'pushing'...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 3, 2005
  11. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >
    >>> Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    >>> On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    >>> meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    >>> picture causing extra camera movement.

    >> Slowly squeeze the trigger. Same as shooting weapons.

    > I was always under the impression that a tripod is worthless without a
    > remote trigger of some sort though people use monopods too so it's
    > obviously not a hard rule.
    >
    > PS I set my camera to burst mode so that if I press slowly, it'll take a
    > few shots before I can release which is sort of annoying. I guess I
    > should change that, it probably does diminish my stability to make quick
    > jabs as I'm inclined to do to avoid a burst.

    NEVER 'jab' the shutter button. That's an invitation to bad pictures.
    Squeeze the button with the thumb under the bottom of the camera, and
    the finger on the button.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 3, 2005
  12. Brian

    MarkH Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote in news:4Kmdnd8j3JDLVuvfRVn-
    :

    > I was always under the impression that a tripod is worthless without a
    > remote trigger of some sort though people use monopods too so it's
    > obviously not a hard rule.

    To use a tripod without a remote trigger you should use the self timer. If
    you use a tripod enough that you find using the self timer to be a pain,
    then buy a remote trigger.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 3, 2005
  13. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Brian wrote:
    >> "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"PhotoMan" <> wrote in message

    >>>Generally true, BUT....
    >>>A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.
    >>>

    >> Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    >> On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    >> meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    >> picture causing extra camera movement.
    >>
    >> Regards Brian
    >>

    >UUUUH, that's why you have a THUMB. Put it under the camera, and
    >SQUEEZE. No button 'pushing'...

    I was talking about a camera I brought way back in the 1970's they
    have improved on camera trigger buttons since...thank goodness.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 3, 2005
  14. Brian

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 20:41:37 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:

    >>> Slowly squeeze the trigger. Same as shooting weapons.

    >> I was always under the impression that a tripod is worthless without a
    >> remote trigger of some sort though people use monopods too so it's
    >> obviously not a hard rule.
    >>
    >> PS I set my camera to burst mode so that if I press slowly, it'll take a
    >> few shots before I can release which is sort of annoying. I guess I
    >> should change that, it probably does diminish my stability to make quick
    >> jabs as I'm inclined to do to avoid a burst.
    >>

    > NEVER 'jab' the shutter button. That's an invitation to bad pictures.
    > Squeeze the button with the thumb under the bottom of the camera, and
    > the finger on the button.

    Don't forget the other part which is to breathe out and hold your breath
    out then take the photo.

    --
    neil
    delete delete to reply

    Neil Ellwood, May 3, 2005
  15. Brian

    Skip M Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > NEVER 'jab' the shutter button. That's an invitation to bad pictures.
    > Squeeze the button with the thumb under the bottom of the camera, and the
    > finger on the button.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    Try putting your thumb under a 20D with a battery pack or a 1D/1Ds and
    squeeze the shutter button. And for good measure, add a flash bracket.
    You'd better have REALLY big hands to try that trick... ;-)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, May 3, 2005
  16. Brian

    Paul Furman Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 20:41:37 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Furman wrote:

    >>>PS I set my camera to burst mode so that if I press slowly, it'll take a
    >>>few shots before I can release which is sort of annoying. I guess I
    >>>should change that, it probably does diminish my stability to make quick
    >>>jabs as I'm inclined to do to avoid a burst.
    >>>

    >>NEVER 'jab' the shutter button. That's an invitation to bad pictures.
    >>Squeeze the button with the thumb under the bottom of the camera, and
    >>the finger on the button.

    > Don't forget the other part which is to breathe out and hold your breath
    > out then take the photo.

    I thought you are supposed to breath out slowly while shooting.

    I cannot reasonably hold my thumb on the bottom of a D70.

    Paul Furman, May 3, 2005
  17. Brian

    Bob Burns Guest

    Take a breath, release half and hold- then click. BTW, I was taught many
    years ago to not expect good photos at exposures longer than 1/60 when hand
    held.

    --
    Bob Burns
    Mill Hall PA

    Bob Burns, May 4, 2005
  18. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Burns wrote:
    > Take a breath, release half and hold- then click. BTW, I was taught many
    > years ago to not expect good photos at exposures longer than 1/60 when hand
    > held.

    Years ago, I could handhold 3 second shots. Now 1/30 is a stretch.
    Another year or two and I will be at 1/60, but not yet.

    Then I see another guy with his digital camera held out at arms length,
    framing with the LCD, eating battery power, and getting blurry pictures,
    and wondering why...
    Sigh.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005
  19. Brian

    Guest

    In message <Oo3ee.3727$>,
    "Bob Burns" <> wrote:

    >Take a breath, release half and hold- then click. BTW, I was taught many
    >years ago to not expect good photos at exposures longer than 1/60 when hand
    >held.

    You were taught wrong. It depends completely on the angular
    magnification of the subject, which is related directly to the focal
    length and sensor/film size at infinity, and wildly variable for
    close-ups, as each lens has a different minimum focus distance. It
    depends on the camera as well. With my Sony F707, I took many telephoto
    pictures (what the camera calls "190mm") at 1/30s. I can not hand-hold
    my Canon DSLRs with such long exposures, with equivalent angles of view;
    not by a longshot. That's because nothing was snapping around inside
    the Sony for an exposure; the Canon has a big shutter and slappy mirror.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , May 4, 2005