    2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    Thanks for any and all help

    neil leslie, Oct 22, 2004

  2. neil leslie

    Matt Ion Guest

    neil leslie wrote:
    > I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
    > EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
    > the software that came with the camera?

    I beleive you need the transfer utility, I seem to recall that was
    necessary when I set it up with my Mac.

    > 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    > There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    That seems to be a drawback with almost all AF-SLRs - the lack of manual
    focus aids, and the tiny focus rings on the lenses. Alas, unless
    someone brings out a replacement viewfinder, we're stuck with it.

    Matt Ion, Oct 22, 2004

  3. neil leslie

    Jim Townsend Guest

    neil leslie wrote:

    > I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
    > EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
    > the software that came with the camera?

    For editing you won't need to install the supplied Photoshop Elements.
    The full blown version of 7 has all the features of the supplied
    Elements and more.

    As far as downloading images.. If your Mac operating system supports
    picture transfer protocol (PTP) then you should be able to access the
    camera directly. If it doesn't, you'll have to load some Canon
    software to read your photos..

    Of course if you have a flash card reader, you don't need the
    camera or Canon software at all.

    > 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    > There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    The top selling feature of the Electro Optical System (EOS) is that
    it has a fast and extremely accurate autofocus.. You don't need to
    focus manually with EF lenses. (Or so Canon would have us believe :)

    I don't think any EOS digicams have the split screen.. When you
    consider the 300D was built to be the lowest cost DSLR in the lineup
    it isn't surprising they don't have this feature.

    It isn't that easy to manually focus. Especially since the viewfinder
    is smaller and not as bright as what you see on a standard 35mm EOS model.

    You can manually focus by sight.. Make sure the viewfinder diopter is
    adjusted to your eyesight.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 22, 2004
  4. > 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    > There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    You can have manual exposure and still auto-focus.

    For manual focus select focus point(s), hold down shutter button, turn focus
    ring until green light appears in lower right of display (I think the camera
    will 'beep', too).

    You might know who, Oct 22, 2004
  5. "neil leslie" <> wrote in message
    > I've just taken the plunge and got myself a digital SLR. It's the Canon
    > EOS 300D and I have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1) If I have Photoshop7 installed on my Mac do I need to install any of
    > the software that came with the camera?

    No. Do you have a Compact Flash reader? If so, just copy your files onto
    your computer from the Compact Flash cards and edit them. You can do this
    with any digital camera.

    > 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    > There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    The eyepiece is focusable, and that may be what's throwing you. Adjust the
    eyepiece diopter (see instruction manual) until you can see the focusing
    screen clearly. Look at the little autofocus boxes to judge whether you are
    seeing the screen clearly. Then focus the image.

    By the way, I assume you meant manual focus. You can perfectly well have
    manual exposure and autofocus. Manual/auto FOCUS is selected by a switch on
    the lens.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  6. neil leslie

    Big Bill Guest

    >neil leslie wrote:

    >> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    >> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    As said, the 300D isn't really designed with good manual focus in
    mind.
    But the autop focus is really pretty good. Just set the focus point to
    the center, and try it.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 22, 2004
  7. neil leslie

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote:

    >>neil leslie wrote:

    >>> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I focus?
    >>> There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of focus.

    >As said, the 300D isn't really designed with good manual focus in
    >mind.
    >But the autop focus is really pretty good. Just set the focus point to
    >the center, and try it.

    >Bill Funk
    >Change "g" to "a"

    If I recall correctly the 20D has a focussing screen. Did the 10D
    have one? If not perhaps Canon is getting a bit smarters?

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Oct 24, 2004
  8. neil leslie

    andre Guest

    >> 2) I would far prefer to shoot using manual exposure but how do I
    >> focus? There is no split screen viewfinder and everything seems out of
    >> focus.

    > That seems to be a drawback with almost all AF-SLRs - the lack of manual
    > focus aids, and the tiny focus rings on the lenses. Alas, unless
    > someone brings out a replacement viewfinder, we're stuck with it.

    Exposure and focus are two independent things. YOu can use AF and manual
    exposure. If you also want to use manual focus (switch on lens) you can
    use the small DOF (depth of field) button to see whats in focus and what
    is not.

    Andre

    --
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com