    needs to be changed (saturation, colour tone etc) until the photo has
    been taken?

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 3, 2005

  2. Brian

    Paul Furman Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies to my "Shift Program" question
    >
    > I was hoping that someone would answer my second question.
    >
    > On my Canon EOS 300D there are parameter settings to change the
    > Contrast, sharpness, Saturation and colour tone.
    >
    > Does the parameter settings alter the photo after it has been taken
    > just like a image editing program?
    >
    > Are the parameter settings of any real use as it is not known what
    > needs to be changed (saturation, colour tone etc) until the photo has
    > been taken?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I think it's a good idea to go ahead & crank these up if it is what you
    would do for (most) pictures. If you are going to post-process every
    image, shoot RAW.

    My theory is that these adjustments are made with the RAW file in camera
    so it's going to do better than adjusting a jpeg later. I don't know if
    that's the way it actually works. The other thing people talk about is
    that the camera's software is limited and these can be done better later
    with real software but again, if you want to go to that trouble, shoot
    RAW. Shoot RAW plus jpeg & you can delete most of the RAW's except the
    unusual ones that need a different touch. That way you can see what you
    might be missing and decide for yourself!

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 3, 2005

  3. On Tue, 03 May 2005 00:22:52 +0100, Brian wrote:

    > On my Canon EOS 300D there are parameter settings to change the
    > Contrast, sharpness, Saturation and colour tone.
    >
    > Does the parameter settings alter the photo after it has been taken just
    > like a image editing program?

    Yes.

    > Are the parameter settings of any real use as it is not known what needs
    > to be changed (saturation, colour tone etc) until the photo has been
    > taken?

    It may save some time during post processing. Some lenses are particularly
    prone to give soft images. Increasing the sharpness when using those
    lenses may give satisfactory results.

    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, May 3, 2005
  4. Brian wrote:

    > Thanks for your replies to my "Shift Program" question
    >
    > I was hoping that someone would answer my second question.
    >
    > On my Canon EOS 300D there are parameter settings to change the
    > Contrast, sharpness, Saturation and colour tone.
    >
    > Does the parameter settings alter the photo after it has been taken
    > just like a image editing program?
    >
    > Are the parameter settings of any real use as it is not known what
    > needs to be changed (saturation, colour tone etc) until the photo has
    > been taken?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    If you plan on doing *any* post-processing on your PC, the leave
    sharpness at the lowest (softest) level. Sharpening should be the very
    last step on any processing.

    If you shoot RAW (and you should probably learn to use RAW), then these
    parameters are only "suggested", as they can be changed at time of
    conversion.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, May 3, 2005
  5. Brian

    Iain Laskey Guest

    In article <>,
    (Paul Furman) wrote:
    > My theory is that these adjustments are made with the RAW file in
    > camera

    RAW is RAW, it's just a dump of the sensor data. It has no processing done
    whatsoever. JPGs only will be affected by the changes you mention.

    Iain

    Iain Laskey, May 5, 2005