    i find the internal/pop up flash is quite weak when shooting indoors.any way to improve this please apart from putting on external
    flash.rgds to all from TBM...

    ---
    tbm, May 27, 2004

  2. tbm

    Mark B. Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    news:V7jtc.203$Cz1.160@newsfe4-win...
    > hi group,
    > i find the internal/pop up flash is quite weak when shooting indoors.any

    way to improve this please apart from putting on external
    > flash.rgds to all from TBM...

    The built-in flash really isn't good for indoor lighting. It's meant more
    for fill flash outdoors; it just isn't powerful enough to be the primary
    light source indoors - that's true of any built-in on a SLR. Sorry to say,
    but external flash is the way to go. The Canon 420EX is a great flash,
    unfortunately it doesn't have flash exposure compensation built in - this is
    an important consideration since the camera doesn't have it. The Canon
    550EX is more powerful and has exposure compensation, but it's nearly twice
    the cost.

    A good budget choice is the Sigma EF-500 DG Super. It's nearly a clone of
    the 550EX for the price of the 420EX (around $180).

    Mark
    Mark B., May 27, 2004

  3. tbm

    Jim Townsend Guest

    tbm wrote:

    > hi group,
    > i find the internal/pop up flash is quite weak when shooting indoors.any way to improve this please
    > apart from putting on external flash.rgds to all from TBM...

    The flash on the 300D is the same size as the flash Canon uses on its
    snapshot cameras. It just can't perform any better. You get the same
    red eye and unflattering glare that's caused by the flash being
    near the lens and pointing straight ahead.

    The built in flash is only good for about 10 feet. You can extend that
    range somewhat by using ISO 800 or ISO 1600, but the quality of your
    shots will suffer with noise. You can get by at 800, but it becomes
    quite obvious at 1600

    If you use the flash a lot, you should look at picking an EX compatible
    flash up. The difference is like night and day.
    Jim Townsend, May 27, 2004
  4. tbm

    Robertwgross Guest

    tbm wrote:
    >i find the internal/pop up flash is quite weak when shooting indoors.any way
    >to improve this please apart from putting on external
    >flash.rgds to all from TBM...

    The internal flash guide number is only 13 (ISO100, meters). External flash
    units get guide numbers of 42 or 55, which is a big difference.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, May 27, 2004

  5. > If you use the flash a lot, you should look at picking an EX compatible
    > flash up. The difference is like night and day.

    It really is! I got a 550EX and mostly use bounce flash, indoors. The
    results, as compared to using the built-in flash, are MUCH better!
    Charles Schuler, May 27, 2004