Canon EOS 20D .vs. 350D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Craig Dunn, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Craig Dunn

    Craig Dunn Guest

    I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    I'm a bit constrained on budget.

    I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    difference?

    My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    shouldn't compromise on lenses.

    Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?

    TIA
    Cheers
    Craig
    Craig Dunn, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Craig Dunn

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "Craig Dunn" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    > I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    >
    > I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    > with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > difference?
    >
    > My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    > balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    > One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    > shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    >
    > Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?

    One thing you have to consider is how each camera feels in your hand.
    For me, the 350D is unworkable because the grip on the right side is too
    small for my hand; its like holding a little toy. A close friend of mine
    has the 350D and I have tried it a few times, and I just don't like it,
    but the 20D feels like a real SLR in my hands with a full size grip and
    better design of the controls. Try the two cameras in a store and see
    how each one feels to you when you hold it.
    Shawn Hirn, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Craig Dunn

    Mark B. Guest

    "Craig Dunn" <> wrote in message

    > I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    > I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    >
    > I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    > with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > difference?
    >
    > My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    > balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    > One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    > shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    >

    > Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?
    >
    > TIA
    > Cheers
    > Craig

    350D:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp

    20D:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos20d.asp

    With the 20D, you get (among other things) faster frame rate, larger buffer
    ISO 3200, metal body (if that's important to you), flash exposure
    compensation (good for the built-in and flashes like the 420EX that don't
    have exp. comp.), faster max shutter speed, etc. Read the specs & reviews,
    they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands as
    already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 25, 2005
  4. Craig Dunn

    Nicolai Guest

    > they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands as
    > already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.

    But after a week with the 350 it fits well - habbit lads...
    Nicolai, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Craig Dunn

    SteveJ Guest

    SteveJ, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Craig Dunn

    l e o Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "Craig Dunn" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    >>looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    >>I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    >>
    >>I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    >>the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    >>with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    >>difference?
    >>
    >>My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    >>balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    >>One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    >>shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    >>

    >>Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>Cheers
    >>Craig
    >>

    > 350D:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    >
    > 20D:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos20d.asp
    >
    > With the 20D, you get (among other things) faster frame rate, larger buffer
    > ISO 3200, metal body (if that's important to you), flash exposure
    > compensation (good for the built-in and flashes like the 420EX that don't
    > have exp. comp.), faster max shutter speed, etc. Read the specs & reviews,
    > they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands as
    > already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.
    >
    > Mark

    Besides what Mark said, the shutter in 20D is sturdier. Otherwise, Rebel
    XT is a decent camera that would fit your need. Before I got the 20D, I
    had the Rebel and it was good. I still had many nice pictures taken with
    that 6MP camera.
    l e o, Jul 25, 2005
  7. Craig Dunn

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:23:30 +0200, "Nicolai" <>
    wrote:

    >> they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands as
    >> already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.

    >But after a week with the 350 it fits well - habbit lads...

    Ok, for Hobbits it may be a good size.
    If they can get their photography habits to fit the 350D.
    Or maybe it's Hobbit lads who really like the 350D?
    :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 25, 2005
  8. Craig Dunn

    Frank ess Guest

    Craig Dunn wrote:
    > I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people
    > are, I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    >
    > I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you
    > get
    > with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > difference?
    >
    > My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend
    > the balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even
    > 300. One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware
    > that you shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    >

    > Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?

    I have one of each. In most circumstances there will be no appreciable
    difference between the images made with similar parameters.

    The telling fact is that I always put my favorite lens on the 20D,
    always reach for it first.

    I like the RebXT for its output; I dislike it because the controls
    require a little more attention/application of effort to achieve the
    same result. I don't think the size would be an important determinant
    of which to choose. Once the choice is made it's just a matter of
    getting used to it. Adding the battery-grip reduces most objections to
    inconsiderable.

    I bought the RebXT (350D) as a second body/backup to the 20D. It works
    just fine in that capacity. When I run up against the slightly more
    difficult controls during the heat of a project, I wish I'd saved up
    for a couple more months and bought a second 20D. Is the difference in
    price worth it? Yes. Will I eventually upgrade to another Canon? Yes.
    I reckon the RebXt-350D will tide me over until then.

    Sure like the 20D much better, though.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jul 25, 2005
  9. Try:

    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Jul 25, 2005
  10. "Craig Dunn" <> wrote in message

    > I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    > I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    >
    > I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    > with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > difference?
    >
    > My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    > balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    > One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    > shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    >

    > Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?
    >
    > TIA

    If you can afford a new 20D and another $1000-$2000 on glass go for it. Or
    buy used cameras (they are depreciating almost as fast as year-old
    computers). If you are tight on funds and have access to buy a used 300D for
    a good price, go for it and use the extra money on glass. I know nobody
    wants to deal with a used camera but you can save so much money when it's
    the glass which makes the real difference for more people. If you need a
    quicker camera (maybe for sports), then find a 10D, or bite the bullet for
    the 20D. That said, if I had the money for a 20D I would probably buy
    another used 1D, because I do mostly outdoor sports and ISO is rarely a
    problem.
    Dave R knows who, Jul 25, 2005
  11. "Nicolai" <> wrote in message
    >> they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands
    >> as already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.

    > But after a week with the 350 it fits well - habbit lads...

    I'm not surprised. If it's lighter, maybe you just need two fingers on the
    grip instead of all four!
    Dave R knows who, Jul 25, 2005
  12. Craig Dunn

    zog Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > One thing you have to consider is how each camera feels in your hand.
    > For me, the 350D is unworkable because the grip on the right side is too
    > small for my hand; its like holding a little toy. A close friend of mine
    > has the 350D and I have tried it a few times, and I just don't like it,
    > but the 20D feels like a real SLR in my hands with a full size grip and
    > better design of the controls. Try the two cameras in a store and see
    > how each one feels to you when you hold it.

    funny, I don't have a problem with the grip size on my 350D and I have
    average sized hands, also could be that I used an OM1 for 30years :)
    zog, Jul 26, 2005
  13. Craig Dunn

    GTO Guest

    It's a personal choice. You may want to read the following comparison at

    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

    Gregor

    GTO, Jul 26, 2005
  14. Craig Dunn

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "l e o" <> wrote in message
    > Mark B. wrote:
    > > "Craig Dunn" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > >>looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    > >>I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    > >>
    > >>I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > >>the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    > >>with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > >>difference?
    > >>
    > >>My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    > >>balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    > >>One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    > >>shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    > >>

    > >>Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?
    > >>
    > >>TIA
    > >>Cheers
    > >>Craig
    > >>

    > > 350D:
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    > >
    > > 20D:
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos20d.asp
    > >
    > > With the 20D, you get (among other things) faster frame rate, larger

    buffer
    > > ISO 3200, metal body (if that's important to you), flash exposure
    > > compensation (good for the built-in and flashes like the 420EX that

    don't
    > > have exp. comp.), faster max shutter speed, etc. Read the specs &

    reviews,
    > > they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands

    as
    > > already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.
    > >
    > > Mark

    > Besides what Mark said, the shutter in 20D is sturdier. Otherwise, Rebel
    > XT is a decent camera that would fit your need. Before I got the 20D, I
    > had the Rebel and it was good. I still had many nice pictures taken with
    > that 6MP camera.

    Yea I also went from a 300d to a 20d...the grip was one of the main factors
    for me, but looking back I can see may more things in the 20d that I like
    more...the faster shutter speed and the thumb wheel really kicks the crap
    out of the 4 way buttons. The more durable body and shutter are also
    factors for me...I ride around on a bike with my gear on my back. The 300d
    survived that no problem though (10,000+ clicks before I sold it).
    Dirty Harry, Jul 26, 2005
  15. Craig Dunn

    Craig Dunn Guest

    Thanks for all the input - I ended up purchasing a Canon 20D+18-55mm
    and an additional 75-300mm USM lens + stabalizer and it rocks :)
    Craig Dunn, Jul 27, 2005
  16. Craig Dunn

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > "Craig Dunn" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking to upgrade from my rather nice A95 to a dSLR - I've been
    > > looking at the EOS range of DSLR's from Canon, but, as most people are,
    > > I'm a bit constrained on budget.
    > >
    > > I've been looking at the actual differences between the 20D body and
    > > the 350D, apart from the massive price hike, what excactly do you get
    > > with a 20D that you dont with a 350D to justify the massive price
    > > difference?
    > >
    > > My leaning at the moment is to invest in the cheaper 350D and spend the
    > > balance on a decent set of lenses (18-55 and a 55-200) or even 300.
    > > One can always upgrade the body at a later date, and I'm aware that you
    > > shouldn't compromise on lenses.
    > >
    > > Anyone got any input on the 20D vs 350D they could share?

    > One thing you have to consider is how each camera feels in your hand.
    > For me, the 350D is unworkable because the grip on the right side is too
    > small for my hand; its like holding a little toy. A close friend of mine
    > has the 350D and I have tried it a few times, and I just don't like it,
    > but the 20D feels like a real SLR in my hands with a full size grip and
    > better design of the controls. Try the two cameras in a store and see
    > how each one feels to you when you hold it.

    I read the announcement for the 350D, decided it was what I had been
    waiting for, picked one up in a camera store and immediately rejected it
    for the reasons above. I much preferred the feel of my EOS30 film body,
    which is similar to the 20D but that was out of budget for me. Several
    months later, I played again with the 350D and found that by resting my
    index finger across the shutter button it became comfortable (touching
    the button with the right side of the index finger rather than the end).
    I'm sure this would not work for everybody but it feels good to me now
    and I have the bonus of a smaller ligher cheaper package than the 20D.
    It seems rugged enough too - I've just returned from a 1500 km bicycle
    tour including about 400 km of gravel/rock road (including lots of
    washboard). The camera was in a handlebar bag and the road bike has no
    suspension so it really bounced around. My old manual Nikons and my
    EOS30 were also OK on previous trips.
    Bruce Graham, Aug 6, 2005
  17. Craig Dunn

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > With the 20D, you get (among other things) faster frame rate, larger buffer
    > ISO 3200, metal body (if that's important to you), flash exposure
    > compensation (good for the built-in and flashes like the 420EX that don't
    > have exp. comp.), faster max shutter speed, etc. Read the specs & reviews,
    > they'll give you a good idea. Don't discount how it feels in your hands as
    > already pointed out, to me that's an important consideration as well.
    >
    > Mark

    350D does have flash exposure comp, hidden a bit down a menu tree.
    Bruce Graham, Aug 6, 2005