    were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

    thanks all
    RT, Jun 30, 2005

  2. RT

    l e o Guest

    RT wrote:
    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >
    > I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    > that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    > firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    > you know what was/is the problem causing it?
    >
    > Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    > were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    > are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
    >
    > thanks all

    I have had the 20D for months and never had any problems. I have shot
    thousands of pix so far.
    l e o, Jun 30, 2005

  3. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:41:26 -0500, RT wrote:

    >Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >
    >I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    >that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    >firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    >you know what was/is the problem causing it?
    >
    >Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    >were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    >are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

    Why not just look at the different fixes in the firmware?

    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

    Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are
    included:

    Version 1.0.4/1.0.5 changes:

    1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.
    2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.
    3. Improvements in the firmware update program itself.

    Version 1.1.0 changes:

    1. Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)
    have been added to the camera menus.

    Three new languages have been added to the 12 current ones, for a
    total of 15 supported languages.

    2. The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images
    taken at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been
    fixed.

    The issue with horizontal line noise appearing in shots taken at
    high ISO settings (ISO800, ISO1600, etc.) while using the internal
    flash has been fixed.

    "A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
    Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
    mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

    _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
    by Friedrich Nietzsche
    Chapter XI
    The New Idol
    John A. Stovall, Jun 30, 2005
  4. RT

    bmyself Guest

    Yes! read Johns link on the software updates.
    Some people were experiencing Lock-ups on the early models but, saying that,
    I have had my 20D for almost a year now - and never experienced any faults
    whatsoever.
    As far as purchasing the 20D goes, I had a second-one last week from Jessops
    for £900. I have seen cheaper-slightly but, these people who sell cheaper
    are more than likely Imported goods. So, go to Jessops, and they have a
    price promise if you find cheaper.
    Regards
    mike
    www.mikezite.co.uk

    bmyself, Jun 30, 2005
  5. RT

    RustY© Guest

    <RT> wrote in message news:...
    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

    The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
    users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
    to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
    have sorted it though on new stock.
    RustY©, Jun 30, 2005
  6. RT

    C Wright Guest

    On 6/30/05 10:41 AM, in article ,
    "RT" <RT> wrote:

    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >
    > I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    > that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    > firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    > you know what was/is the problem causing it?
    >
    > Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    > were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    > are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
    >
    > thanks all

    I have had a 20D for almost a year and never had a lockup! I have always
    updated to the latest firmware so maybe it would have happened if I had not
    updated but the point is that a few complaints does not make it a universal
    problem.
    C Wright, Jun 30, 2005
  7. RustY© wrote:
    > <RT> wrote in message
    >> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >>

    > The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
    > Many users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring
    > the camera to be switched off then on again or even battery removal.
    > I believe Canon have sorted it though on new stock.

    Interesting. I have had mine (with the battery grip) for about a year
    and not one lockup. But then maybe I was just lucky.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jun 30, 2005
  8. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:18 GMT, "RustY©" <> wrote:

    ><RT> wrote in message news:...
    >> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >>

    >The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
    >users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
    >to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
    >have sorted it though on new stock.

    Canon has addressed this problem.

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...ct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10464

    April 27, 2005

    To customers using the BG-E2 battery grip with an EOS 20D digital SLR
    camera:

    Thank you for using Canon products.

    We have confirmed that the BG-E2 battery grip for the EOS 20D digital
    SLR camera causes issues such as the number of shots being limited or
    a low-battery warning being displayed immediately when used with a
    fully charged battery pack or a fresh set of AA batteries. Canon
    offers its sincerest apologies to all customers who have been
    inconvenienced by this issue.

    Starting at the end of May, we plan to offer repairs free of charge
    for all BG-E2 battery grips that are affected by this issue. The
    starting date and more detailed information will be announced soon.
    With sincere regret for the inconvenience this represents for our
    users, we ask for your patience until that announcement can be made.

    We spare no effort in our quality control process, to make sure our
    customers can use our products with confidence. Please accept our
    thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

    Inquiries about this issue should be directed to:

    BG-E2 Call Center
    1-800-828-4040 (toll-free)

    Business Hours
    Weekdays: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    Saturdays, holidays: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

    John A. Stovall, Jun 30, 2005
  9. "RustY©" <> wrote in message

    > <RT> wrote in message news:...
    >> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >>

    > The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
    > Many
    > users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
    > camera
    > to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
    > have sorted it though on new stock.

    Did they fix the grip or the camera?
    Dave R knows who, Jun 30, 2005
  10. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:54:30 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
    <> wrote:

    >"RustY©" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <RT> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >>>

    >> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
    >> Many
    >> users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
    >> camera
    >> to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
    >> have sorted it though on new stock.
    >>

    >Did they fix the grip or the camera?

    The grip was the problem. They fixed it.

    John A. Stovall, Jun 30, 2005
  11. RT

    deloid Guest

    I had one lockup from using this camera. I really didn't know it was a
    bathroom window I was shooting through but anyway I made bail just fine.
    deloid, Jun 30, 2005
  12. <RT> wrote in message news:...
    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

    I don't know.

    > I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    > that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    > firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    > you know what was/is the problem causing it?

    There was a firmware issue and the revised firmware did correct the problem
    in some cases.

    > Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    > were to purchase the EOS 20D next month?

    Probably not. I am still experiencing lockups, have the latest firmware,
    and never use a battery grip. My problem seems to be related to one lens (a
    100-400 IS). Other users have also reported lockups when using IS lenses.
    However, it seems to be a rather rare problem.
    Charles Schuler, Jun 30, 2005
  13. RT

    Ryadia Guest

    RT wrote:
    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >
    > I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    > that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    > firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    > you know what was/is the problem causing it?
    >
    > Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    > were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    > are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
    >
    > thanks all

    My 20Ds all locked up on changing the lens but upgrading the firmware
    fixed the problem... Until I bought some 580 EX Speedlights! One after
    the other, they locked up with the speedlights set to ETTL and the
    camera set to 1/250th sync on Av mode. Canon have no answer, there are
    no further firmware upgrades and the problem is very specific.
    Thankfully it doesn't happen with my 1d Mk II.

    This really is piss poor stuff from a company confessing to want market
    share at any cost. I personally am seriously evaluating dumping my
    entire Canon camera collection and buying Nikon or Olympus.

    The deception Canon pulled in claiming the 20D had superior low light
    performance when all they did was include a really poor de noising
    routine to ISO 200 and higher pictures is pretty pathetic. Use high ISO
    at the risk of lost detail.

    I speak from Professional use. There is no reason to believe a private
    user could not accept an occasional lockup and the detail loss at high
    ISO is really only noticeable with very big poster prints. This makes up
    a lot of my business so I am proportionally more dissatisfied than most.

    Douglas
    Ryadia, Jun 30, 2005
  14. RT

    Guest

    In message <>,
    RT wrote:

    >Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

    I have an October 2004 20D, and it has only locked up on me one
    afternoon during the use of one particular battery; an old and very-used
    battery. On no other days and on no other uses of that battery or any
    other battery has it locked up. I am up to folder 252 canon, which
    means I have taken 15,200 images.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Jul 1, 2005
  15. RT

    Guest

    In message <42c45b81$>,
    Ryadia <> wrote:

    >The deception Canon pulled in claiming the 20D had superior low light
    >performance when all they did was include a really poor de noising
    >routine to ISO 200 and higher pictures is pretty pathetic. Use high ISO
    >at the risk of lost detail.

    You keep saying this, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. The
    noise in my 20D RAW data looks like real noise to me, and when I use
    something that reduces noise on the images, detail drops away. Detail
    that was *there*, mixed with noise.

    The real test would be to take the same shot with two cameras, with a
    sharp t-mount lens, both set to ISO 1600, and both set to use the same
    aperture and shutter speed, and see how the detail compares.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Jul 1, 2005
  16. RT

    hyperoglyphe Guest

    <RT> wrote in message news:...
    > Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
    >
    > I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
    > that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
    > firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
    > you know what was/is the problem causing it?
    >
    > Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
    > were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
    > are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
    >
    > thanks all

    I've just received a letter from Canon, they have replaced the pin assembly
    and the cf slot at no charge. There appeared no physical damage and
    certainly no bent pins. I was having sporadic lockups and CF read errors,
    usually only whilst changing CF cards during long sessions. If I left the
    camera off for 10 miutes or so, the card would read ok.

    I'll pick up the camera today. This weekend will be spent trying to repeat
    the problem. If all goes well, I'll be singing this camera's praises
    following 6 months of use. If not, I'll be posting a $#1+ - bucket.

    Dave
    hyperoglyphe, Jul 1, 2005
  17. RT

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Jul 1, 2005
  18. On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:41:26 +0000 (UTC), "Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, The lockup problem was caused in some cases by using Lexar 80x cf cards,
    >Lexar are changing all cards
    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05061001lexar_80xcards.asp

    The Lexar problem had nothing to do with lock up. It was about lost
    images.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexaralert.asp

    John A. Stovall, Jul 1, 2005
  19. RT

    Ed Velez Guest

    Here is my scenario:

    1. 20D with 17-85 IS USM
    2. Sandisk 1gig Ultra II
    3. Shooting in continuous mode
    4. Shooting in AI SERVO mode
    5. Stopping inbetween to rezoom (camera downloading to CF card)
    6. ERR99 when I try to continue shots

    Have had the camera since April and no problems at all except for this one
    situation. 99% of the time I shot in one shot focus and non-continuous.

    My speculation is that there is some issue in regards to trying to read and
    write at the same time as well as communicate to the lens during ai servo
    mode. More like processing than any particular hardware issue. I know that I
    have read many postings about CF cards, IS, pins on the lens, firmware
    etc....and believe it to be more in regards to how the camera itself can
    multi task and handle complex situations. The power users in the group may
    experience this more (not that the casual user wont). If anyone wants to
    help me with my thoughts by testing in the above way and see if it happens
    more so than not, I'd be interested to hear about the results. If more folks
    say that it just happens doing simple point and shoot, then I declare I
    would be stumped.

    Ed Velez, Jul 1, 2005
  20. RT

    nk Guest

    Ed,
    I had the same problem with my 20d and the 70-300mm lens.
    I would shoot about 8 to 10 photos and the camera would lock up and I would get
    the ERR99 message. This only occurred with the 70-300mm lens.
    I sent the lens in for service and Cannon said they replaced the IS lens unit.
    The lens and camera now work fine.

    Nath

    nk, Jul 1, 2005