Canon EOS-1DX

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Oct 18, 2011.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Oct 18, 2011

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bowser <> wrote:

    > On 10/18/2011 6:14 AM, Sandman wrote:
    > > Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    > >
    > > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    > > -18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    > >
    > > Thoughts?
    > >

    > Kind of surprised at the low resolution, but I guess this is Canon's
    > answer to the D3s: a low noise PJ/sports cam. Nothing wrong with 18MP,
    > though.

    I'm super satisfied with my D3S, and I'm really curious why this one
    would be better - more than just slightly higher numbers here and
    there.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 18, 2011

  3. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    Sandman <> wrote:
    >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    >-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >Thoughts?

    Well done Canon! 14 frames/second with a reflex mirror is quite an
    achievement, and the video functionality will help sales.

    As I stated here some time ago, this camera signals the end of APS-H
    sensors in Canon DSLRs.

    I hope the latest in the 1Ds series will not be too long delayed.

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2011
  4. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    Sandman <> wrote:
    >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >Thoughts?

    A further thought - Canon intends the 18 MP EOS 1D X to replace both
    the 1D and 1Ds DSLR lines.

    I wonder what Canon 1Ds users will think of the decision to go down
    from 21.5 to 18 MP, when all the signs are that Nikon's maximum pixel
    count will soon go much larger?

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2011
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    > ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    > >-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    > >Thoughts?

    > Well done Canon! 14 frames/second with a reflex mirror is quite an
    > achievement, and the video functionality will help sales.

    It's worth noting that 14fps requires mirror locking, jpeg mode and
    ISO less than 32000. :)

    Sandman, Oct 18, 2011
  6. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    Sandman <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    >> >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    >> ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    >> >-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >> >Thoughts?

    >> Well done Canon! 14 frames/second with a reflex mirror is quite an
    >> achievement, and the video functionality will help sales.

    >It's worth noting that 14fps requires mirror locking, jpeg mode and
    >ISO less than 32000. :)

    Oh. Slightly less impressive. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2011
  7. Sandman

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:48:09 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Sandman <> wrote:
    : >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    : ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    : >Thoughts?
    :
    :
    : A further thought - Canon intends the 18 MP EOS 1D X to replace both
    : the 1D and 1Ds DSLR lines.
    :
    : I wonder what Canon 1Ds users will think of the decision to go down
    : from 21.5 to 18 MP, when all the signs are that Nikon's maximum pixel
    : count will soon go much larger?

    It seems as though half the people in these newsgroups have been decrying the
    "megapixel race" and asserting that a smaller number of larger pixels is
    better. In effect, isn't this Canon's way of calling their bluff? ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 19, 2011
  8. Sandman

    otter Guest

    On Oct 18, 5:14 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    >
    > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    > -18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > --
    > Sandman[.net]

    Well, 204,800 ISO is the extended range, so I'm sure it is noisy as
    hell. However, I'd really like to see how clean 52,000 ISO is.

    I'd have no problems going from 21MP to 18MP.

    Any guess on the price? I'm thinking $8K.

    otter, Oct 19, 2011
  9. Sandman

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:48:09 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Sandman <> wrote:
    >: >Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    >: ><http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame-18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >: >Thoughts?
    >:
    >:
    >: A further thought - Canon intends the 18 MP EOS 1D X to replace both
    >: the 1D and 1Ds DSLR lines.
    >:
    >: I wonder what Canon 1Ds users will think of the decision to go down
    >: from 21.5 to 18 MP, when all the signs are that Nikon's maximum pixel
    >: count will soon go much larger?
    >
    >It seems as though half the people in these newsgroups have been decrying the
    >"megapixel race" and asserting that a smaller number of larger pixels is
    >better. In effect, isn't this Canon's way of calling their bluff? ;^)

    People decry the megapixel race when it makes their expensive cameras
    appear obsolete. ;-)

    At the high end of the market, there is a requirement for higher
    resolution because that's what clients want (not always need, but
    want). Pro photographers want to be able to buy into this at a
    less-than-astronomic price. So there is significant demand for a
    35mm-format DSLR with a high pixel count, because it will always come
    in cheaper than a medium format DSLR and offer the same degree of
    control over depth of field that 35mm and full frame digital both
    offer*.

    Nikon appears well placed to satisfy this, with the 24 MP D3X having
    been announced almost three years ago. Nikon's next move up will be
    into the 36 MP class and might already have been announced had it not
    been for the earthquake/tsunami.

    It would appear that Canon has decided, for now, to improve aspects of
    its 1D and 1Ds other than resolution. All depends on what Canon does
    next.

    I find it difficult to believe that Canon will continue with a range
    that tops out at 'only' 18 MP, when it is a badly kept secret that
    Canon has been developing (for at least the last two years) a 1D
    format camera with a sensor that offers 34.5 MP.

    So I expect Canon will either announce a high-MP alternative to the
    EOS 1D X at a later date, or they are secretly developing a medium
    format camera to rival Hasselblad's H4D and the Pentax 645D.

    *The comparative lack of depth of field offered by medium format is a
    negative for most pro shooters. Medium format sensors don't perform
    well at high ISOs so you have to choose between a slow shutter speed
    (on a tripod) or a wide aperture (hand held). You get a stop's worth
    less (than full frame 35mm) depth of field because of the sensor size,
    which can be critical.

    The holy grail would be a 36 MP full frame (35mm) sensor that offers
    low noise up to ISO 12,800. I believe Nikon will offer this. That
    would probably be the most appropriate time to claim that the
    megapixel race is over. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 19, 2011
  10. On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Sandman wrote:

    > Full frame, 18MP, 14FPS, ISO 204,800
    >
    > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/canon-announces-eos-1d-x-full-frame
    > -18mp-sensor-14-fps-204-80/>
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Heh. "Yay, another camera I'll be able to afford to buy used in 9 years!"
    ;)

    The fact that it won't autofocus at f/8 (like older 1 series bodies) will
    probably tick off quite a few potential nature customers using 2x TCs.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]