    Please advice.
    Thanks,
    Hodrige.

    Hodrige, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Hodrige

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Hodrige) stated that:

    >Hello,
    >I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    >for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    >should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    >thinking around $200.00.

    Instead of buying a cheap zoom lens, consider spending $60 USD on a
    50mm/F1.8 prime (Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II). You'll get much better optical
    quality than you would with a consumer zoom, & you'll learn a lot more
    about photography. Once you're really comfortable with that lens, you'll
    have a *much* clearer idea of what size & quality of zoom lens would be
    best for you, & you won't waste hundreds of dollars on a crappy zoom
    lens.

    Lionel, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Hodrige

    Alan Browne Guest

    Hodrige wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    > for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    > should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    > thinking around $200.00.
    > What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)

    What kind of photography do you want to do?

    You say "all purpose lens"? Well to be mean about it, there is no such
    thing as a lens for all purposes.

    Get yourself a 50mm f/1.8 and you'll be on your way at very low cost, or
    a 35mm for a more "normal" view with the crop factor (a little more $).

    If you need a zoom, any good ordinary Canon 28-80 or 28-105 will do fine.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Lionel <> wrote

    > Instead of buying a cheap zoom lens, consider spending $60 USD on a
    > 50mm/F1.8 prime (Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II). You'll get much better optical
    > quality than you would with a consumer zoom, & you'll learn a lot more
    > about photography. Once you're really comfortable with that lens, you'll
    > have a *much* clearer idea of what size & quality of zoom lens would be
    > best for you, & you won't waste hundreds of dollars on a crappy zoom
    > lens.

    I agree with starting out with a 50mm prime. That is what I did. But I went
    for the 1.4 instead of the 1.8. The build is better, USM focusing, and the
    bokeh is smoother and more pronounced. But even the 50mm 1.8 is will give
    you much better pictures than any consumer zoom.

    --

    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)
    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Hodrige

    adm Guest

    "Richard Cockburn" <> wrote in message >

    > "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    I think you should check the provenance of your .sig

    adm, May 1, 2004
  6. Hodrige

    jriegle Guest

    While I would (and did) get the 50 1.8, I would get a zoom first. Canon's
    18-55 only fits the Rebel, so you may have to go third party to stay in the
    price range. The 50 on a 10D has the same angle of view as a 80mm lens does
    on a 35mm camera. While good for certain subjects, it is too much focal
    length for general shooting.
    John

    jriegle, May 1, 2004
  7. Hodrige

    Hodrige Guest

    OK thanks.
    I'll look for a Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II or 1.4 ... it looks like the 1.4
    is a bit more than $200.00.
    /Hodrige.

    Hodrige, May 1, 2004
  8. Hodrige

    jean Guest

    Whatever lens you do plan to buy, go to the store, put it on your camera
    take some pics with it (ouside if they let you) and then go home and examine
    the pics, if you like the sharpness or lack thereof, then go back and buy
    it. Canon lenses work very well, third party YMMV so it is best to try
    before buying.

    If you like long lenses, the 75-300 with IS is a good one to get. It is not
    fast neither at focusing or opticaly but you won't be scared to take it
    anywhere.

    A bit more expensive is the 70-200 f4 L but it's distinctive white color may
    be a drawing card for theives.

    Jean

    PS I'm thinking of ditching all my shorter lenses (50mm f1,8 and a Sigma 28
    f1,8) for a 24-70 f2,8 L. Expensive lens but worth every penny. It's not
    white so it should pass as a cheaper lens. Il'l keep the "kit" lens from my
    Drebel because it goes a bit wider (18mm).

    jean, May 1, 2004
  9. (Hodrige) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello,
    > I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    > for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    > should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    > thinking around $200.00.
    > What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
    > Please advice.
    > Thanks,
    > Hodrige.

    I have the EF 28/2.8 nearly cemented to my 10D. The focal length
    multiplier gives it an angle of view equivalent to a 45mm lens on a
    35mm film camera. I find this lens and camera combination to be great
    for my general purposes; I like to shoot social documentary and street
    images.

    Michael

    street shooter, May 1, 2004
  10. Hodrige

    Don Guest

    Folks, you haven't mentioned the 17 to 40 L which is nothing short of
    stunning. If you like street shooting (it is also black not white) this is
    an awesome lens.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, May 2, 2004
  11. Hodrige

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Don" <> stated that:

    >Folks, you haven't mentioned the 17 to 40 L which is nothing short of
    >stunning. If you like street shooting (it is also black not white) this is
    >an awesome lens.

    Maybe so, but the OP won't be able to get one for less than $200. ;)

    Lionel, May 2, 2004
  12. (Hodrige) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello,
    > I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    > for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    > should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    > thinking around $200.00.
    > What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
    > Please advice.

    There is only 1 great low cost lens in that all-purpose category, the
    Sigma 24-70 HF (cost = $83). Here are some shots from it, it's not a
    macro lens mind you...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/21042147/original
    http://www.pbase.com/image/24159241/original
    http://www.pbase.com/image/24426797/original

    Also realize that Canon DSLRs won't get sharp pics like those when
    using it, but due to the old Canon CMOS, not the lens.

    George Preddy, May 3, 2004
  13. Hodrige

    Chris Cox Guest

    Please ignore the Preddy troll.

    Chris Cox, May 3, 2004
  14. Hodrige

    jean Guest

    Yeah, don't waste money on aftermarket lenses you can't try out before you
    buy. As many said, buy the 50mm f1,8 it is inexpensive and super sharp.

    Jean

    jean, May 3, 2004
  15. "Hodrige" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    > for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    > should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    > thinking around $200.00.
    > What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
    > Please advice.
    > Thanks,
    > Hodrige.

    With $200 get the Canon EF 28-105MM F/3.5 - 4.5 USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.8
    II.

    Later you can think about L series lenses.

    Avoid buying non-Canon lenses. The Canon consumer lenses are very high
    quality. The second and third tier lenses are not as good as what you get
    from Canon, and often don't work properly on the newer Canon bodies. Avoid
    Quantaray, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, etc. It was one thing to use
    these brands of lenses when they were all manual, but with the electronic
    auto-focus, it's better to stick with Canon.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 4, 2004
  16. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> writes
    > (Hodrige) wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
    >> for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
    >> should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
    >> thinking around $200.00.
    >> What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
    >> Please advice.

    >There is only 1 great low cost lens in that all-purpose category, the
    >Sigma 24-70 HF (cost = $83). Here are some shots from it, it's not a
    >macro lens mind you...
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/21042147/original
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24159241/original
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24426797/original
    >
    >Also realize that Canon DSLRs won't get sharp pics like those when
    >using it, but due to the old Canon CMOS, not the lens.

    The Canon DSLR will give a very good sharp picture (the OP didn't
    actually say he had a DSLR, but given the name of the NG it is a
    reasonable guess). However, the Sigma lens almost certainly won't work
    on your next Canon body.

    In over 25 years of using Canon SLRs, I have only written off 3 lenses.

    1 - a Canon 100-300 USM my daughter dropped in the sea (and for which,
    in all honesty, I can hardly blame the lens).

    2 - A Sigma 21-35 whose aperture failed (and it was always slow and
    noisy).

    3 - A Sigma 14mm which does not work on my new Canon bodies.

    Stories of problems with Sigma lenses are very common, often from people
    whose views I have had reason to respect over many years.

    The troll who posted the above comments has never said anything I have
    seen to merit any confidence in his views.

    I will never buy another Sigma lens, whatever the reviews say. However,
    that is my choice; I can afford the best, and I don't like slightly
    sub-optimum equipment. If you do not anticipate changing to a new EOS
    body for many years, some of them may be good value.

    To the OP, please draw your own conclusions; it's your choice. Also, you
    may get more helpful advice on rpe.35mm; much of the geekery there (at
    least ISTM more than here) is concerned with optics rather than digits.
    --
    David Littlewood

    David Littlewood, May 4, 2004
  17. "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message news:<uiklc.16$>...
    > Yeah, don't waste money on aftermarket lenses you can't try out before you
    > buy. As many said, buy the 50mm f1,8 it is inexpensive and super sharp.

    If you like plastic lens mounts, you'll love Canon glass.

    George Preddy, May 4, 2004
  18. David Littlewood <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I will never buy another Sigma lens

    This is very typical attitude from Canon users who are furious that
    their cameras/lens do so awfully when compared to much less expensive,
    much better built stuff from other manufacturers.

    Canon = big time ripoff, they don't make anything that is even worth
    considering in the DSLR realm, not in absolute terms and on value they
    produce absolute junk. If you shoot film, their L glass while
    insanely priced, at least produces generally sharp results, which
    their ancient CMOS technology cannot show. And they make some decent
    P&S's.

    George Preddy, May 4, 2004
  19. Hodrige

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/4/04 4:45 PM, in article
    , "George Preddy"
    <> wrote:

    > "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
    >> Yeah, don't waste money on aftermarket lenses you can't try out before you
    >> buy. As many said, buy the 50mm f1,8 it is inexpensive and super sharp.

    > If you like plastic lens mounts, you'll love Canon glass.

    Moron

    George Kerby, May 4, 2004
  20. Hodrige

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/4/04 4:50 PM, in article
    , "George Preddy"
    <> wrote:

    > David Littlewood <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I will never buy another Sigma lens

    > This is very typical attitude from Canon users who are furious that
    > their cameras/lens do so awfully when compared to much less expensive,
    > much better built stuff from other manufacturers.
    >
    > Canon = big time ripoff, they don't make anything that is even worth
    > considering in the DSLR realm, not in absolute terms and on value they
    > produce absolute junk. If you shoot film, their L glass while
    > insanely priced, at least produces generally sharp results, which
    > their ancient CMOS technology cannot show. And they make some decent
    > P&S's.

    Moron

    George Kerby, May 4, 2004