    expect to use this camera other than taking those pictures.
    Should I buy this camera? If not, do you have anything else to recommend?
    Thanks in advance! I

    Joanna Lee, Sep 29, 2003

  2. "Joanna Lee" <> wrote:

    > I need to take some still indoor pictures of my merchandise, to be print

    out
    > and blow up bigger than size of 8 X 11.
    > People say Canon 10 D would be an overkill for 90% of average use, I don't
    > expect to use this camera other than taking those pictures.
    > Should I buy this camera? If not, do you have anything else to recommend?
    > Thanks in advance! I

    Don't think ti would be overkill if you're looking to blow it up to bigger
    than 8 x 11. I have a Canon D60, and just blew up an image to "Super B" (13
    x 19) size. Don't try this with 3-4 megapixels! I think for that size
    you'll use all the 6.3 megapixel resolution the D10 has to offer...

    Stephen

    Stephen Greenfield, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Joanna Lee

    David Guest

    Based on that use, I'd go with the Digital Rebel (300D) and take the money
    you saved to spend on a lens, lighting equipment, and a tripod.

    Compare the features here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

    Or, even consider a used D60, which my give you more cash for the other
    (ultimately more important) things.

    Dave

    David, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Joanna Lee

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Joanna Lee wrote:

    > I need to take some still indoor pictures of my merchandise, to be print out
    > and blow up bigger than size of 8 X 11.
    > People say Canon 10 D would be an overkill for 90% of average use, I don't
    > expect to use this camera other than taking those pictures.
    > Should I buy this camera? If not, do you have anything else to recommend?
    > Thanks in advance! I

    It would be overkill. (But if cost isn't an issue.. Go for it :)

    For what you're doing, it doesn't look like you need a magnesium body,
    interchangeable lenses, fast autofocus and low grain at high ISO.

    You could pick up a quality 5MP camera for half the price. (And there really
    isn't much difference between 5MP and 6MP)

    I'd look at the Canon G5 or something similar.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Joanna Lee

    Bernd Guest

    Amen to that!

    5MPs do a good job on 8x11. Those SLR systems require you to get a decent
    lens (>$200) and are mor into people that are willing to shed out a lot of
    money for lenses, flashes and stuff. The 300D looks nice but for your
    purposes a standard PointNShoot sees to be better... Save the bucks and
    invest in some decent imaging software :)

    Regards
    Bernd

    Bernd, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Joanna Lee

    Scott Elliot Guest

    If you really want to do commercial product photography you should consider
    the 10D because it will allow you use multiple flashes with independently
    variable flash compensation for backlight, mainlight and sidelight. That
    will give sharp photos with more depth and appeal.

    If you just want to take snap shots to make 8x11 photos, there are cheaper
    alternatives like the 300D, G5 or S5 that will give acceptable results.

    How sophisticated do you want to be with your photos?

    Scott Elliot
    http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

    Scott Elliot, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Joanna Lee

    Joanna Lee Guest

    I do want to be able to have the commercial look, but I have only done point
    and shoot before, I don't know if I can manage a sphosticated camera to make
    it happen.
    Is Canon EOS 6.3MP Digital Rebel Camera with Lens 18-55MM Lens easier to
    manage by a newbie and a cheaper alternative?
    Thanks in advance.

    Joanna Lee, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Joanna Lee

    Guest

    > "Joanna Lee" <> wrote in message
    > > I need to take some still indoor pictures of my merchandise, to be print

    > out
    > > and blow up bigger than size of 8 X 11.
    > > People say Canon 10 D would be an overkill for 90% of average use, I don't
    > > expect to use this camera other than taking those pictures.

    You can try the 6MP Fuji S7000, 8MP Sony F828, or 5MPs:
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

    "Scott Elliot" <> wrote in message news:<Gs6eb.28311$>...
    > If you really want to do commercial product photography you should consider
    > the 10D because it will allow you use multiple flashes with independently
    > variable flash compensation for backlight, mainlight and sidelight. That
    > will give sharp photos with more depth and appeal.
    >
    > If you just want to take snap shots to make 8x11 photos, there are cheaper
    > alternatives like the 300D, G5 or S5 that will give acceptable results.

    Most of these cameras can do professional multiflash lighting:
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

    , Sep 30, 2003