    Luuk Houwen
    Hattingen
    Germany

    Luuk Houwen, Oct 27, 2003

  2. The flash flickers real fast in low light situations. Kind freaky
    but it seems to work.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Luuk Houwen

    Robertwgross Guest

    There are different types of systems for assisting autofocus in low-light
    situations. On one camera, there is a small white light that will illuminate
    the scene for about a half-second. On some of my flash units, there is a dim
    red crosshatch pattern that is emitted every second or so while flash operation
    is getting ready. On some cameras, it is all done just using the main sensor to
    assist what the lens is doing (since most of the autofocus system is inside the
    lens).

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 28, 2003
  4. "Luuk Houwen" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to figure out how good the autofocus of this camera is in low
    > light. The test reports I read often measure the performance with and
    > without AF assist. In the former case the camera is said to be able to
    > focus in complete darkness; without it the autofocus is much less
    > impressive. Apparently its AF assist consists of a flsah strobe. Can anyone
    > explain what this means and what the disadvantages/limitations are of using
    > this type of AF assist?
    >
    > --
    > Luuk Houwen
    > Hattingen
    > Germany

    I have a 10D, and the built-in AF assist certainly works. (Whether you'd want
    to use it is another matter...) It works by firing a short burst of flashes (So
    you've got to be in a mode where the flash will be controlled by the camera - I
    use the green rectangle idiot mode for this), and the camera finds focus using
    its normal sensors. Works fine in the dark cellars of stately homes etc. BUT,
    the strobe effect of the flashes is very disturbing, and I far prefer the red
    pattern emitted from my 550EX or ST-E2; or as found on some earlier EOS
    cameras.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Luuk Houwen

    Luuk Houwen Guest

    Thank you all for your answers, which are just what I was looking for.

    --
    Luuk Houwen
    Hattingen

    *Remove NO-JNK from email adress before replying directly*

    Luuk Houwen, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Luuk Houwen

    Jim Davis Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:59:08 +0100, Luuk Houwen
    <> wrote/replied to:

    >I am trying to figure out how good the autofocus of this camera is in low
    >light. The test reports I read often measure the performance with and
    >without AF assist. In the former case the camera is said to be able to
    >focus in complete darkness; without it the autofocus is much less
    >impressive. Apparently its AF assist consists of a flsah strobe. Can anyone
    >explain what this means and what the disadvantages/limitations are of using
    >this type of AF assist?

    You can turn off auto focus assist, you won't need it. The 10D has
    excellent low light AF. Period.

    Believe it or not, it's impossible to focus without light, duh!

    So you need some light. But not very much.

    Jim Davis, Oct 29, 2003