Canon Elph SD110, Kodak EasyShare CX7430, Canon Powershots A75 and A80, and Nikon CoolPix 3200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shannon, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Hi, I'm new to digital cameras, and I want to get something in the
    3 or 4 mp range to take to college with me. I've been doing a lot of
    general research on specifications and terminology and have begun to shop
    around to look at specific brands and models. I have some general
    questions about the models I've seen and really like.

    I like the Canon Elph SD110's small size and metal body. I've also
    been told that its image quality is incredible for such a small camera.
    However, because of its relatively small lens, I'm wondering how it
    performs in low light situations. Other comments?

    I've heard that Kodak has a great line of new cameras and am
    interested in the EasyShare CX7430. The menu is cotton candy-ish and
    easy for me to understand. It's supposed to be very good for color
    balance. Anyone have one that can make any comments? Any negatives?

    I am also considering Canon's Powershot A75 and A80, and Nikon's
    CoolPix 3200. I haven't read a bad review regarding either of the
    PowerShots.

    Thank you for any help you can give me,

    Shannon
    Shannon, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Shannon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Canon Elph SD110, Kodak EasyShare CX7430, Canon Powershots A75and A80, and Nikon CoolPix 3200

    Shannon wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to digital cameras, and I want to get something in the
    > 3 or 4 mp range to take to college with me. I've been doing a lot of
    > general research on specifications and terminology and have begun to shop
    > around to look at specific brands and models. I have some general
    > questions about the models I've seen and really like.
    >
    > I like the Canon Elph SD110's small size and metal body. I've also
    > been told that its image quality is incredible for such a small camera.
    > However, because of its relatively small lens, I'm wondering how it
    > performs in low light situations. Other comments?
    >
    > I've heard that Kodak has a great line of new cameras and am
    > interested in the EasyShare CX7430. The menu is cotton candy-ish and
    > easy for me to understand. It's supposed to be very good for color
    > balance. Anyone have one that can make any comments? Any negatives?

    I can't comment on the other cameras, but I would check out the DX7440
    for the extra zoom range, and extra flexibility features. I have the
    DX6440 and it takes generally excellent pictures.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Shannon

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Shannon,

    I have found that the CX7430 is a nice model and one that you will enjoy
    considerably. It has most of the features that you would expect plus it is
    quite fast for the model series. You can get details on the camera and a
    full review by going to the Kodak pages:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/cx7430

    Also, be sure to visit the educational pages about digital so you will be
    prepared for some great images once you get to school.

    I would also make it a point to visit the local camera stores to get a hands
    on feel and review of the cameras you have mentioned. With that experience,
    you can then make an educated decision on which will do best for you.
    Consider what you might be shooting, and plan for it and what you might like
    in the future. Consider the budget you have for a camera, then read up on
    the kind of picture taking you might do while in college. If you are like
    my Daughters, you will want some fast action and low light capabilities,
    i.e. games and parties etc. Know how to set your camera and get good
    results in all situations.

    Talk to you soon, Shannon, enjoy your picture taking.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Shannon

    kela Guest

    I just brought a Kodak DX7440 a week and a half ago and it has been
    really good. My cowork with their A75 and A80 were quite impress by it
    for its speed, weight, larger 2.2" LCD, white balance, image, and
    zoom. The only thing they didn't like was the battery. They preferred
    AA.

    kela, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Shannon

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Kela,

    Glad to know you are enjoying your new camera. Actually, the battery system
    in your camera should last you a good long time (possibly longer than AAs)
    and provide a consistent power supply for your picture taking. There is a
    charger and additional batteries that you can purchase that will allow for
    extended picture taking as well.

    If you do have questions, however, let me know. I am here for you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 19, 2004