Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 TESTED !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I had the opportunity to use this lens this week on my 20D. Like all
    Canon EF-S lenses it was designed to be used on the Canon cameras
    with
    a cropped sensor. With the 20D's 1.6x crop the lens gives a 16mm
    equivalent FOV. The lens is well built and sturdy without being too
    heavy.

    It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
    viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
    themselves to that wide a FL.
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

    Normally, I use my 17-40 f/4L for wide angle shots and have rarely
    found it lacking.
    I'll go by the aquarium in a day or two and do some more shots with
    it in the shark tank. Perhaps it would be more suitable in that
    environment.

    In my "brick wall" testing I matched the 10-22 against the 17-40L,
    with both of them set at 20mm focal length. Both lenses worked best
    around f/8, but the 17-40L was clearly sharper in the head-to-head
    testing. Now I can breathe a big sigh of relief. I just saved 800
    bucks!

    In summary, there were no surprises with this lens. It did what it
    is
    supposed to do and did it well. If you have a 20D or 30D and need
    the
    full coverage this lens gives it's about the only game in town. It
    didn't match the overall quality of the 17-40 f/4L, but that was no
    surprise either.
    I doubt I would ever use this lens for landscapes, as I could get
    much
    better results from panoramic stitching. I could see using it for
    one
    of those "stadium shots" where you can see the whole football or
    baseball field. But otherwise, I'll stick with the 17-40L and wait
    on
    that 5D.
    Annika1980, Feb 11, 2007

  2. Annika1980

    Recycle THIS Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >I had the opportunity to use this lens this week on my 20D. Like all
    > Canon EF-S lenses it was designed to be used on the Canon cameras
    > with
    > a cropped sensor. With the 20D's 1.6x crop the lens gives a 16mm
    > equivalent FOV. The lens is well built and sturdy without being too
    > heavy.
    >
    > It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
    > viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
    > themselves to that wide a FL.
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

    Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)
    Recycle THIS, Feb 11, 2007

  3. > Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    Wide-angle dumps are the thing these days.
    Charles Schuler, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Recycle THIS Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message

    >> Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    > Wide-angle dumps are the thing these days.

    Thank God jej didn't use tilt-shit then.........
    Recycle THIS, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Annika1980

    >> Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    > Wide-angle dumps are the thing these days.

    Just a thought - If he had 3 more dogs, would he be better using a four
    turds system?
    Recycle THIS, Feb 11, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 11, 5:16 pm, "Recycle THIS" <> wrote:

    > > It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
    > > viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
    > > themselves to that wide a FL.
    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

    > Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    She was only sitting, not s...... , well, you know.
    Annika1980, Feb 11, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 11, 5:27 pm, "Recycle THIS" <> wrote:
    > > Wide-angle dumps are the thing these days.

    > Just a thought - If he had 3 more dogs, would he be better using a four
    > turds system?

    I was showing off the 1.6x crap factor.
    Annika1980, Feb 11, 2007

  8. > I was showing off the 1.6x crap factor.

    Good one!
    Charles Schuler, Feb 11, 2007

  9. > She was only sitting, not s...... , well, you know.

    Not important ... I will trust your assay of the situation.
    Charles Schuler, Feb 11, 2007
  10. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 11 Feb 2007 15:25:56 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 11, 5:16 pm, "Recycle THIS" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
    >> > viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
    >> > themselves to that wide a FL.
    >> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

    >> Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    >She was only sitting, not s...... , well, you know.

    Dogs sometimes get confused on this point. I knew someone who had a
    dog which understood a command that sounds like "sit". "Sit" on the
    other hand he never quite got, so when told to "sit" he'd do the
    other.
    J. Clarke, Feb 12, 2007
  11. "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 Feb 2007 15:25:56 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    >>She was only sitting, not s...... , well, you know.

    > Dogs sometimes get confused on this point. I knew someone who had a
    > dog which understood a command that sounds like "sit". "Sit" on the
    > other hand he never quite got, so when told to "sit" he'd do the
    > other.

    Got a christmas card a few years back, with a picture of Santa's sleigh
    piled up against an outhouse, and Santa shaking his fist at the reindeer: "I
    said the SCHMIDT house, you fools!"
    Moro Grubb of Little Delving, Feb 12, 2007
  12. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Feb 11, 5:16 pm, "Recycle THIS" <> wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    > Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    Perhaps the dog is simply making a comment about his photography.
    , Feb 12, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > I had the opportunity to use this lens this week on my 20D...
    > It was nice to finally see a very wide field of view through the 20D
    > viewfinder, but I found myself struggling to find subjects that lend
    > themselves to that wide a FL.
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/74259301

    Thanks for the review! It's always fun reading your posts;
    wish I had time for them all. --Yr fan, CAcreekin

    > Now I can breathe a big sigh of relief. I just saved 800 bucks!

    LOL
    Bill Tuthill, Feb 12, 2007
  14. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> Do we really need a shot of your dog crapping on the grass? :)

    > She was only sitting, not s...... , well, you know.

    Doggy needs bokeh. You should have shot her with the old 50/1.2.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Feb 12, 2007