Canon: EF filters = EF-S filters?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by [blu|shark], Jan 22, 2004.

  1. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    [blu|shark], Jan 22, 2004

  2. [blu|shark]

    Jim Townsend Guest

    [blu|shark] wrote:

    > Are filters for Canon EF series lens compatible with digital rebel's (EOS
    > 300D's) EF-S lens?

    Anything that will screw on the lens thread will work..

    The EF-S lens has a 58mm thread..

    Jim Townsend, Jan 22, 2004

  3. [blu|shark]

    [BnH] Guest

    There is no such thing as Canon EF filter only .. there is only lens filter.
    And lens filter works universally.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jan 22, 2004
  4. [blu|shark]

    Alan D-W Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18ATiinetDOTnetDOTaus> wrote in message
    > There is no such thing as Canon EF filter only .. there is only lens

    filter.
    > And lens filter works universally.

    But didn't I read somewhere that when the lens that comes with the Rebel
    focuses the whole front ring rotates, thus messing up your polariser
    setting?
    Alan.

    Alan D-W, Jan 22, 2004
  5. [blu|shark]

    DHB Guest

    Yes, the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens front barrel does rotate when it focuses
    as do many other lenses. The simple solution when using a polarizer is to
    pre-focus & them rotate the polarizer for proper effect.

    You can let the camera do this with the AF via 1/2 press shutter then
    rotated the filter if needed or use AF to pre-focus then turn off AF on the
    lens & adjust the filter or lastly, leave the lens AF switch off & focus
    manually & adjust the filter.

    Life is full of choices & you must pick what works best for you. Most
    more expensive lenses have non rotating filter threads but even with those
    you may still need to readjust the polarizer filter if your subject moves
    laterally. If you subject only moves closer or further away than you
    probably won't need to re-adjust the polarizer.

    In the case of the kit lens or any lens that the filter threads rotate
    with focus or zooming, get used to focus & adjust the polarizer & snap the
    picture. It's a good habit to get into anyway, especially if you have
    lenses of both types.

    Hope my 2 cents helped.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Jan 22, 2004
  6. [blu|shark]

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Any 58mm filter will fit it. Many of the lenses in the Canon line use this
    size, but far from all.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 22, 2004
  7. [blu|shark]

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    This is true of many of the lower priced EF lenses.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 22, 2004
  8. On 2004-01-22, Alan D-W <> wrote:

    > "[BnH]" <b18ATiinetDOTnetDOTaus> wrote in message
    >> There is no such thing as Canon EF filter only .. there is only lens

    > filter.
    >> And lens filter works universally.
    >>

    > But didn't I read somewhere that when the lens that comes with the Rebel
    > focuses the whole front ring rotates, thus messing up your polariser
    > setting?

    So does the the Canon EF 75-300mm lens. And any other non-IF
    (Internal Focusing) lens.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 22, 2004
  9. [blu|shark]

    okigan Guest

    This was puzzling me for a while,
    the (auto)focus on the 300D (which I have) is quite
    sensitive. I.e. if I have it in auto focus and then even touch
    the outer ring it moves slightly, but enough to get the picture
    out of focus... what to do? and is it normal?

    Thanks.
    Igor

    okigan, Jan 23, 2004
  10. [blu|shark]

    Robertwgross Guest

    Igor wrote:
    >This was puzzling me for a while,
    >the (auto)focus on the 300D (which I have) is quite
    >sensitive. I.e. if I have it in auto focus and then even touch
    >the outer ring it moves slightly, but enough to get the picture
    >out of focus... what to do? and is it normal?

    A few users had strange autofocus problems, and then they noticed that the
    problems went away when the UV filter was removed. It turned out that a few UV
    filters had been manufactured with the glass not absolutely perpendicular to
    the axis of the lens. I suppose that is the mark of a cheap or defective
    filter.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jan 23, 2004
  11. [blu|shark]

    okigan Guest

    I am not using any extra filters, it's just the lens from the
    Digital Rebel Kit

    okigan, Jan 23, 2004
  12. [blu|shark]

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Povl H. Pedersen <> wrote:
    >On 2004-01-22, Alan D-W <> wrote:

    >> But didn't I read somewhere that when the lens that comes with the Rebel
    >> focuses the whole front ring rotates, thus messing up your polariser
    >> setting?

    >So does the the Canon EF 75-300mm lens. And any other non-IF
    >(Internal Focusing) lens.

    The 50mm f/1.4 is not internally-focusing, but the front element does not
    rotate, it merely moves backwards and forwards.

    Chris Brown, Jan 23, 2004
  13. [blu|shark]

    Leonard Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Povl H. Pedersen <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2004-01-22, Alan D-W <> wrote:

    >>>But didn't I read somewhere that when the lens that comes with the Rebel
    >>>focuses the whole front ring rotates, thus messing up your polariser
    >>>setting?

    >>So does the the Canon EF 75-300mm lens. And any other non-IF
    >>(Internal Focusing) lens.

    > The 50mm f/1.4 is not internally-focusing, but the front element does not
    > rotate, it merely moves backwards and forwards.

    Ditto the 50/1.8 and the 35/2 and I assume several of the wide-angle
    primes.

    I was at Croft circuit shooting a GT race and there was this guy to my
    left using a lens with a front element that rotated when focusing, and
    he had attached this big Cokin filter setup to it. It looked really
    funny, all that construction on the front spinning every time he took
    a shot.

    Unfortunately I was unable to feel smug about the IF on my 70-210
    because the chap on my right had a 100-400 L. Mmm, nice.

    - Len

    Leonard, Jan 23, 2004
  14. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    [blu|shark], Jan 24, 2004
  15. [blu|shark]

    DHB Guest

    No, the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 is not a USM lens but don't take my
    word of it, visit Canon's site:

    http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/

    That said, it's a good lens for the money & will likely meet most
    people's basic needs. Also it has a wide enough zoom range to illustrate to
    most people that are new to SLR / DSLRs which direction to look for their
    next lens. Some may want more of a wide angle or telephoto, if you find
    yourself taking most of your pictures on 1 end or the other on this lens,
    then you know where your next lens acquisition will be. Just keep in mind
    that on the Digital Rebel/300D the kit lens acts more like a 28.8-88mm lens
    due to the 1.6x FOV crop factor. This 1.6x FOV crop factor will apply to
    "any" lens used on the Digital Rebel/300D or 10D due to their smaller sensor
    size.

    Best of luck.

    Respectfully, DHB

    "[blu|shark]" <> wrote in message

    > > it's just the lens from the
    > > Digital Rebel Kit

    > on a completely different note, i read in a lens FAQ somewhere "EF-S

    18-55m

    DHB, Jan 24, 2004
  16. [blu|shark]

    Steve Guest

    "[blu|shark]" <> wrote in message
    > on a completely different note, i read in a lens FAQ somewhere "EF-S

    18-55m
    > USM". are they really USM or the FAQ was wrong?

    Hi

    The 300D / Rebel is known as Kiss Digital in Japan and does indeed ship with
    a USM lens.

    It's only micro USM though so not that exciting...

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 26, 2004
  17. [blu|shark]

    fruitbat Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote:
    > "[blu|shark]" <> wrote:
    > > on a completely different note, i read in a lens FAQ somewhere "EF-S
    > > 18-55m USM". are they really USM or the FAQ was wrong?

    > The 300D / Rebel is known as Kiss Digital in Japan and does indeed ship with
    > a USM lens.
    >
    > It's only micro USM though so not that exciting...

    Just to clarify, the Japanese version of the lens has a USM, while the
    US version has a Micro Motor (not to be confused with the Micro USM).
    The Micro Motor seems to be Canon's cheapest AF motor type, so I'm
    sure they put it in the US lens to get the kit down to the magic $1000
    price point... I believe Japan is the *only* market that gets the USM,
    but I'm not sure.

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Jan 27, 2004
  18. [blu|shark]

    Steve Guest

    In article:<>,
    fruitbat <> typed:
    > "Steve" <> wrote:
    >> "[blu|shark]" <> wrote:
    >>> on a completely different note, i read in a lens FAQ somewhere "EF-S
    >>> 18-55m USM". are they really USM or the FAQ was wrong?

    >> The 300D / Rebel is known as Kiss Digital in Japan and does indeed
    >> ship with a USM lens.
    >>
    >> It's only micro USM though so not that exciting...

    > Just to clarify, the Japanese version of the lens has a USM, while the
    > US version has a Micro Motor (not to be confused with the Micro USM).
    > The Micro Motor seems to be Canon's cheapest AF motor type, so I'm
    > sure they put it in the US lens to get the kit down to the magic $1000
    > price point... I believe Japan is the *only* market that gets the USM,
    > but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Jeff

    Indeed, but there are several types of USM as well. The Japanese kit lens
    has Micro USM - which is simply a USM motor in place of the Micro Motor in
    the lens for other markets.

    It is still driven with cogs and a mechanical linkage and therefore doesn't
    offer any of the real advantages of USM such as full time manual focussing.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 28, 2004