    Any one less is in the end, a statist."

    John A. Stovall
    in tx.guns June 2004
    John A. Stovall, Feb 9, 2005

  2. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote:

    > I'm thinking about getting this for general zoom telephoto for my 20D.
    > How is this lens for shapeness in outdoor working?

    http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ashon/photo/comparo6.htm

    This site above presents Canon's published MTF charts. I've never heard
    anything but raves about it: the Japanese review at hand says that even wide
    open it's good everywhere, but that the performance at 135mm is outstanding.

    You can also check it out at photodo, although a lot of people dislike
    photodo.

    http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Feb 9, 2005

  3. John A. Stovall

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >I'm thinking about getting this for general zoom telephoto for my 20D.

    >How is this lens for shapeness in outdoor working?

    My wife uses this lens quite a bit with a 1D Mark II and it's probably
    her favorite lens. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 L but 'borrow' her f/4 a
    lot ... get it, you won't be disappointed.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 9, 2005
  4. John A. Stovall

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >I'm thinking about getting this for general zoom telephoto for my 20D.

    > >How is this lens for shapeness in outdoor working?

    > My wife uses this lens quite a bit with a 1D Mark II and it's probably
    > her favorite lens. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 L but 'borrow' her f/4 a
    > lot ... get it, you won't be disappointed.
    >
    > Bill

    Just out of curiosity, Bill, why would you borrow an f4 70-200 lens to
    replace a f2.8 70-200 lens?

    Seems to me that the faster lens would be preferable, especially with the
    venerable L letter stamped on it.

    Clyde Torres
    Clyde Torres, Feb 9, 2005
  5. John A. Stovall

    Fyimo Guest

    I have this lens and use it on my 20D and 10D. It's an outstanding lens
    and is excellent optically. I sold an older Canon 80-200mm f2.8 L lens
    to buy this lens. The two reasons in the order of importance to me were
    the weight (much lighter then the f2.8) and it works with the Canon
    1.4X tel converter.
    However the tel converter thing for me really isn't that important
    because I have the 300mm f4 IS L and the 400mm f5.6 L lens that I use
    for wildlife. I use the 70-200mm f4 for walking around and it's great
    for potraits and long enough for some close up work.

    Art Salmons
    Fleeting Images Photography
    Fyimo, Feb 9, 2005
  6. John A. Stovall

    Mats Weber Guest

    It is outstanding. The only thing I miss is stabilization.
    Mats Weber, Feb 9, 2005
  7. John A. Stovall

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> My wife uses this lens quite a bit with a 1D Mark II and it's
    probably
    >> her favorite lens. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 L but 'borrow' her f/4 a

    >> lot

    >Just out of curiosity, Bill, why would you borrow an f4 70-200 lens to

    >replace a f2.8 70-200 lens?

    About half the weight and about half the bulk, so if I'm limited to one
    bag I can take her smaller lens and get a couple of other lenses (say a
    24mm or 35 mm wide angle or a 100 macro or fast 85 mm) in the bag, most
    of which is usually taken by a 500 f/4.

    >Seems to me that the faster lens would be preferable, especially with

    the
    >venerable L letter stamped on it.

    Both are L lenses and the optics seem pretty much equally fine, based
    on the testing I've done. Sometimes the extra stop is needed, but
    often it isn't. I wish the 70-200 f/4 L had IS but otherwise it's a
    really sweet lens.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 9, 2005