    lens or other Canon EF lenses?

    Thanks,

    Bjarne

    Bjarne Dollerup, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Bjarne Dollerup

    steve Guest

    Re: Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 and Canon Rebel Digital/300D - doesit work?

    Although I have a 10D (not a 300D) I believe that all of the Canon EF
    lenses should work with the 300D.

    Once (in about 5 months of use) I got some kind of error displayed when
    using my ef 28-135 IS lens with the 10D -- I simply power cycled the
    camera and have not had the problem since.

    I do not recall any settings on the camera body that would halt the
    operation of the auto focus. Of course, the auto focus might not work
    well if there is insufficient light (or the lens cap is on) but you
    should still detect the lens 'hunting' for focus.

    I am not sure why you are experiencing this problem.

    Have you tried cycling the AF / MF switch a few times just in case the
    switch is temperamental?

    If this does not help, then I would perform a visual inspection of the
    lens and camera body electrical contacts to see if they appear damaged
    or dirty. They should be nice and clean -- without any signs of damage
    or corrosion. (A long shot unless the lens or camera body has seen a lot
    of use or has been abused.)

    You might try fully charging the battery and see if the problem
    continues. (Another long shot but hey, its free to try.)

    If the problem is repeatable consistently after doing the above you
    might want to take the camera and lens to a good local camera shop and
    see if they will let you try a similar 'known good' EF 35-80mm f/4.5-5.6
    lens on that camera body and test to see if you still have the problem.
    IF they are REAL nice you might even be able to try the 'suspect' lens
    on a 'known good' camera body.

    (Most good shops will let you 'evaluate' lenses or cameras there in the
    shop.) If the problem follows the lens I would absolutely suspect the
    lens. If not, (and especially if the problem persists with several
    different 'known good' lenses) it would appear to be a malfunction of
    the camera body :(

    I hope it is something simple and cheap to fix.

    steve

    steve, Nov 25, 2003