Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Art Salmons, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Art Salmons

    Art Salmons Guest

    I got my Canon 10D yesterday and I'm starting to shoot pictures and I
    can see that this will be fun and will work for me. I'm not sure yet
    if it will move me out of film but it certainly has a lot of benefits.

    I need a lens for the wide end and I don't really shoot a lot of
    really wide pictures. I want something for group pictures and some
    wider scenics. I was thinking of the 17-40mm f4 as a possible
    candidate.

    I'm going to sell some lens I don't see me using much and this seems
    like a good lens to get to fill in my lineup. I was wondering what the
    experience has been with this lens from people up here.

    I'll sell the EF 85mm f1.8 and keep the 100mm f2.8 macro
    I'll sell the EF 20mm f2.8 and get wider zoom
    I'll keep the 50mm f1.8 version one lens for now and may later sell it
    and get a EF 50mm f1.4
    I'll keep the 70-200mm f4
    I'm debating on selling the 28-135mm IS lens until I get more
    experience with it.
    I'm leaning towards keeping the 28-70mm f2.8 L lens. Although I could
    sell this and get a longer lens like the 300mm f4 L lens.

    I'd like to get my bag down to from 3 to 5 lens that will cover most
    everything. I don't carry everything all the time anyway. I put what I
    think I will need in the bag before I leave. With film it ususally was
    the 20mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 , and the 80-200mm f2.8. I just sold the
    80-200mm f2.8 because I rarely used it because of the weight and when
    I did I never shot a f2.8

    I bought the Canon 550 EX flash and the battery grip for the Canon
    10D.

    Thanks in advance, I ended up getting my wife a Canon Powershot G6. It
    takes the same batteries, memory, and has a nice fast zoom lens.

    Art

    Art Salmons, Oct 23, 2004

  2. In article <>, Art
    Salmons <> wrote:

    > I got my Canon 10D yesterday and I'm starting to shoot pictures and I
    > can see that this will be fun and will work for me. I'm not sure yet
    > if it will move me out of film but it certainly has a lot of benefits.

    Kiss film goodbye. The 10D is a great camera.

    > I need a lens for the wide end and I don't really shoot a lot of
    > really wide pictures. I want something for group pictures and some
    > wider scenics. I was thinking of the 17-40mm f4 as a possible
    > candidate.

    I've been thinking the same thing. I have two non-L Canon lenses which
    have performed very well, but I'm still lusting for some L glass (and
    IS).

    > I bought the Canon 550 EX flash and the battery grip for the Canon
    > 10D.

    Definitely go for the Big Ed.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Art Salmons

    Mark M Guest

    "Art Salmons" <> wrote in message
    > I got my Canon 10D yesterday and I'm starting to shoot pictures and I
    > can see that this will be fun and will work for me. I'm not sure yet
    > if it will move me out of film but it certainly has a lot of benefits.
    >
    > I need a lens for the wide end and I don't really shoot a lot of
    > really wide pictures. I want something for group pictures and some
    > wider scenics. I was thinking of the 17-40mm f4 as a possible
    > candidate.
    >
    > I'm going to sell some lens I don't see me using much and this seems
    > like a good lens to get to fill in my lineup. I was wondering what the
    > experience has been with this lens from people up here.
    >
    > I'll sell the EF 85mm f1.8 and keep the 100mm f2.8 macro
    > I'll sell the EF 20mm f2.8 and get wider zoom
    > I'll keep the 50mm f1.8 version one lens for now and may later sell it
    > and get a EF 50mm f1.4
    > I'll keep the 70-200mm f4
    > I'm debating on selling the 28-135mm IS lens until I get more
    > experience with it.
    > I'm leaning towards keeping the 28-70mm f2.8 L lens. Although I could
    > sell this and get a longer lens like the 300mm f4 L lens.
    >
    > I'd like to get my bag down to from 3 to 5 lens that will cover most
    > everything. I don't carry everything all the time anyway. I put what I
    > think I will need in the bag before I leave. With film it ususally was
    > the 20mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 , and the 80-200mm f2.8. I just sold the
    > 80-200mm f2.8 because I rarely used it because of the weight and when
    > I did I never shot a f2.8
    >
    > I bought the Canon 550 EX flash and the battery grip for the Canon
    > 10D.

    You are basically wittling your kit down to what I consider the essentials
    in my 10D kit:
    Battery Grip
    550EX
    16-35 2.8 L
    70-200 2.8 IS L
    28-135 IS (might replace it with 24-70 2.8 L when wallet allows)
    50 1.4
    100 2.8 Macro
    100-400 IS L (which may be up for sale soon in favor of the 24-70 2.8 L)
    1.4x

    I have a few other lenses which have fallen by the wayside, it seems.
    My every-day, always-carried bag ALWAYS has:
    28-135 IS mounted on camera
    and the 16-35, 1.4x, 70-200, and 550EX in the bag.
    These three lenses cover just about anything I'm likely to encounter
    day-to-day.

    You seem like you're in very good shape, kit-wise.
    I'd suggest you keep the 28-135. I use it more than any other for general
    snapping.
    I'd like to replace it with the 24-70 L, but I suspect I'll end up keeping
    both.

    I think you should consider keeping your 28-70 L. At least wait until you
    do comparisons of critical sharpness with your 28-135, or whatever you use
    at that focal length range.

    Mark M, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Art Salmons

    Don Guest

    Guys

    I have the 17 to 40 F4 L series lens and love it. I am not certain the 16
    to 25 F2.8 L would be worth the extra money due to the very good performance
    of the 10D at high ISO anyway. I would highly recommend the 17 to 40

    Regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Art Salmons

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Keep in mind, the 10D has a 1.6x factor to consider, when selecting your
    lenses. The EF 17-40mm f4 is an excellent lens, however, it will function
    like it was a 27-64mm.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Art Salmons

    Mark M Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Guys
    >
    > I have the 17 to 40 F4 L series lens and love it. I am not certain the 16
    > to 25 F2.8 L would be worth the extra money due to the very good

    performance
    > of the 10D at high ISO anyway. I would highly recommend the 17 to 40
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Don from Down Under

    I agree with that for the most part. Usually you wouldn't shoot landscapes
    or interiors at 2.8 anyway, due to DOF issues. f4 is still pretty fast,
    too.
    One issue could be better AF in low light with the 2.8 though, which I have
    definitely found useful. Also... Even 1 extra mm can mean quite a bit when
    you're at the very wide end.

    For the money, though, the 17-40 is a great deal. It is certainly just as
    sharp as the 16-35 according to all comparisons I've seen.

    Mark M, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Art Salmons

    Art Salmons Guest

    I ordered the 17-40mm F4 this morning. That coupled with the 28-70mm
    f2.8 and the 70-200mm f4 will be my primary lens set up. I will
    probably keep the 28-135mm IS lens as a walking around lens, the 50mm
    f1.8 as a small light lens for portraits, and the 100mm f2.8 for
    macro.

    Art

    Art Salmons, Oct 24, 2004