Canon Digital Rebel - Possible problem ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Arun Perinkolam, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I gifted myself the Rebel for Christmas 2003 and have thoroughly
    enjoyed it.
    Last weekend I drove down to Big Sur, CA to get some good pics of the
    sunset.

    I was shooting the setting (mild) sun in Av mode and I changed the AF
    point (just before the Sun was to go down) to point at the Sun and
    when
    I clicked the shutter halfway, the autofocus mechanism did its thing
    and
    all of a sudden it totally jammed up. I tried shutting the camera off
    and then back on again, several times and nothing helped. Finally, I
    ejected
    the battery pack and re-inserted it and it came up ok.

    I have taken pics since and it seems ok. I even called Canon Tech
    support
    to confirm that I hope the incident shouldnt have damaged the sensor
    and/or the shutter/aperture mechanism. They confirmed my belief, since
    only the peak sun should have damaged the sensor/aperture, if at all,
    with
    lens acting like a miscroscope.

    Has anbody faced this jamming-up problem ? .... I wanted some expert
    opinion in this regard. As I said, the pictures I have shot after this
    seem just fine and the cmaera seems to operate perfectly, but I
    wouldnt mind some reassurance :)

    Thanks in advance,
    Arun.
    Arun Perinkolam, Jan 20, 2004

  2. > I was shooting the setting (mild) sun in Av mode and I changed the AF
    > point (just before the Sun was to go down) to point at the Sun and
    > when
    > I clicked the shutter halfway, the autofocus mechanism did its thing
    > and
    > all of a sudden it totally jammed up. I tried shutting the camera off
    > and then back on again, several times and nothing helped. Finally, I
    > ejected
    > the battery pack and re-inserted it and it came up ok.
    >
    > I have taken pics since and it seems ok. I even called Canon Tech
    > support
    > to confirm that I hope the incident shouldnt have damaged the sensor
    > and/or the shutter/aperture mechanism. They confirmed my belief, since
    > only the peak sun should have damaged the sensor/aperture, if at all,
    > with
    > lens acting like a miscroscope.
    >
    > Has anbody faced this jamming-up problem ? .... I wanted some expert
    > opinion in this regard. As I said, the pictures I have shot after this
    > seem just fine and the cmaera seems to operate perfectly, but I
    > wouldnt mind some reassurance :)

    When you say it jammed up do you mean that it ended up at an out-of-focus
    lens setting? The camera was not capable of taking the shot? Which lens
    were you using? If it was a Sigma or another third-party lens, that might
    be an issue. (I am not bashing Sigma, as I use one of their lenses with my
    DRebel and it works well).

    There is little chance that the sensor was damaged.

    There are several contacts between the camera body and the lens. Clean them
    with a lint free cloth. Keep shooting, I think your camera is fine.
    Charles Schuler, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Arun Perinkolam

    fake name Guest

    In article <>,
    (Arun Perinkolam) wrote:

    [snip]
    > As I said, the pictures I have shot after this
    > seem just fine and the cmaera seems to operate perfectly, but I
    > wouldnt mind some reassurance :)

    if that's what you want, then that's what you get:
    rest assured, your camera is fine.
    fake name, Jan 21, 2004
  4. >
    > > Has anbody faced this jamming-up problem ? .... I wanted some expert
    > > opinion in this regard. As I said, the pictures I have shot after this
    > > seem just fine and the cmaera seems to operate perfectly, but I
    > > wouldnt mind some reassurance :)

    > When you say it jammed up do you mean that it ended up at an out-of-focus
    > lens setting? The camera was not capable of taking the shot? Which lens
    > were you using? If it was a Sigma or another third-party lens, that might
    > be an issue. (I am not bashing Sigma, as I use one of their lenses with my
    > DRebel and it works well).

    No, I have the EF-S lens 18-55, that is shipped with the DRebel Kit.
    Well, AF tried to achieve a focus, it ended up at an out-of-focus lens
    setting and then froze completely, with the LCD data-readout panel
    blanking out.
    The AF mechanism should have got confused, since the AF point was
    directly on the setting sun, but what I didnt expect was the camera
    freezing on me.

    Anyways, from what you guys are suggesting, it looks like its a
    one-off, fluke incident. Hopefully I wont run into it again.

    Thanks,
    Arun.

    Arun Perinkolam, Jan 21, 2004