    Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
    on how?

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike Kober, Jan 14, 2004

  2. > I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
    > filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
    > filters and digital.

    Yes, the DRebel has such a filter.

    > Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
    > on how?

    Plan on using a tripod as long exposures will be required. There has been
    some discussion on the 300D forum at dpreview.com

    Charles Schuler, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Mike Kober

    Mike Kober Guest

    Thanks.

    Nice forum, haven't read that forum.

    Interesting discussion on "midnight landscapes", one of the other
    things I wanted to try with the Rebel.

    Mike Kober, Jan 14, 2004
  4. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:00:43 GMT, Mike Kober <> wrote:

    >I ordered a Digital Rebel that should be arriving within 2 weeks
    >(backorder already). My question is about using it for infrared
    >photography?
    >
    >I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
    >filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
    >filters and digital.
    >
    >Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
    >on how?

    The Canon 300 / 10D or D60 sensor has unfortunately a rather weak
    infrared response as you can see from the spectral response chart:

    http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectre_4.gif

    (Infrared light to the right side, chart from the full article (in
    french)

    http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectra.htm

    )

    Frank M. Siegert, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Mike Kober

    Proctor Guest

    "Frank M. Siegert" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:00:43 GMT, Mike Kober <> wrote:
    >
    > >I ordered a Digital Rebel that should be arriving within 2 weeks
    > >(backorder already). My question is about using it for infrared
    > >photography?
    > >
    > >I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
    > >filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
    > >filters and digital.
    > >
    > >Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
    > >on how?

    > The Canon 300 / 10D or D60 sensor has unfortunately a rather weak
    > infrared response as you can see from the spectral response chart:
    >
    > http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectre_4.gif
    >
    > (Infrared light to the right side, chart from the full article (in
    > french)
    >
    > http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectra.htm
    >
    > )

    Frank that is great information. Could you tell me how to make a judgement
    on the quality of my Sony TRV-730 with Nightshot? Sony also sells a light
    for additional distance and I would get one if it would be a worthwhile toy.

    Thanks

    Proctor

    Proctor, Jan 17, 2004