Canon Digital Rebel 350D Lens Questions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Williams, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. I have a Canon Digital Rebel 350D. I am starting to take a look at lenses.
    I have been finding myself in a lot of low light situations in which I am at
    a distance - in shooting situations including a concert, indoor graduation
    an another indoor event. I currently have EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 and EF
    75-300MM F4-5.6 III lenses. I can tell it is a real challenge to find a spot
    to get the camera stabilized enough on the fly, especially in these low
    light situations. At 200-300MM focal length, it is very hard to end up with
    blurry shots. I am thinking it is time to think about a better lens with
    IS. I hear that when the IS function is activated, the shutter speed can be
    reduced 3 more stops without blurring. that would be nice!

    The other thing that would be nice is if I buy a really nice lens, that it
    could still be used for portrait type shots too. What focal length should
    one use for portrait type shots? What focal length would the lens need to
    have to still bring me close enough to get good concert/graduation type
    shots from afar? It would be nice to get a lens with a wide maximum
    aperture, but with f/2.8 lens, the price does go way up.

    With looking at what I am needing it for and what is currently out there,
    what do you recommend? What focal length range would be best? What would be
    a great lens for the buck? What brands would you go with and what brands
    would you not go with? Other things to think about?

    Thanks for the help and insight!

    Mark Williams, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Mark Williams

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Williams <> wrote:
    >I have a Canon Digital Rebel 350D. I am starting to take a look at lenses.
    >I have been finding myself in a lot of low light situations in which I am at
    >a distance - in shooting situations including a concert, indoor graduation
    >an another indoor event. I currently have EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 and EF
    >75-300MM F4-5.6 III lenses. I can tell it is a real challenge to find a spot
    >to get the camera stabilized enough on the fly, especially in these low
    >light situations. At 200-300MM focal length, it is very hard to end up with

    I've got some nice shots with the 28-135 EF lens.(F3.5-5.6). It's
    effectively about 180mm. I shoot in smallish clubs and maybe I get
    closer than you do. I find that the stage lighting throws plenty of
    light on the highlights and I let the shadows fall where they may.

    I use manual exposure, handheld, and generally no flash. The histogram
    tells me if I'm exposing OK.

    My shooting has an available light look and at 800ISO it may
    be rougher than you want.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Jul 14, 2006