Canon Digital Rebel (300D) Compact Flash Sizes?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Mitton, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. Doug Mitton

    Doug Mitton Guest

    Hello All;

    Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?

    I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
    <2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
    information before I start experimenting.

    Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
    Successfully?

    I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    to find the references with an internet search.

    I seem to remember the issues being:
    - Some cards over 2 Gig would work
    - Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
    counter maxing out at some numer (999?)

    Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
    issues you've noticed.

    Thanks in advance.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.
    Doug Mitton, Jul 9, 2010

  2. Doug Mitton

    MC Guest

    Doug Mitton wrote:

    > Hello All;
    >
    > Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?
    >
    > I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
    > <2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
    > information before I start experimenting.
    >
    > Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
    > Successfully?
    >
    > I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    > to find the references with an internet search.
    >
    > I seem to remember the issues being:
    > - Some cards over 2 Gig would work
    > - Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
    > counter maxing out at some numer (999?)
    >
    > Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
    > issues you've noticed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Rare???

    Certainly not here in th UK. In the USA the "big is beautiful" tag
    also holds true for CF cards as well maybe :eek:).

    MC
    MC, Jul 9, 2010

  3. Doug Mitton

    Ron Guest

    "Doug Mitton" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All;
    >
    > Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?
    >
    > I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
    > <2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
    > information before I start experimenting.
    >
    > Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
    > Successfully?
    >
    > I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    > to find the references with an internet search.
    >
    > I seem to remember the issues being:
    > - Some cards over 2 Gig would work
    > - Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
    > counter maxing out at some numer (999?)
    >
    > Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
    > issues you've noticed.

    What size do you you want?

    http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Me...ry_Cards&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

    Lists 292 1GB CF cards for sale. Plus 108 512MB, 73 256MB, 80 128MB, 72
    64MB, 48 32MB, 39 16MB, 27 8MB and 7 4MB.

    Ron
    Ron, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Doug Mitton

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Doug Mitton <> wrote:
    >Hello All;
    >
    >Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?

    Have it but don't use it.

    >I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
    ><2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
    >information before I start experimenting.

    I just popped a 16GB Lexar card into it, formatted the card, and the
    camera reports 14.9GB and 999 photos available.

    >Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
    >Successfully?

    Yep.

    >I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    >to find the references with an internet search.

    Doesn't seem to be an issue.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jul 11, 2010
  5. In article <4c3915b9$0$1611$>,
    (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    > >I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    > >to find the references with an internet search.

    > Doesn't seem to be an issue.

    If it is, one of the firmware updates may have corrected it. The latest
    appears to be version 1.1.1 posted on 12/01/2007.

    <http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eo
    s_digital_slr_cameras/eos_digital_rebel#DriversAndSoftware>

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jul 11, 2010
  6. Doug Mitton

    Doug Mitton Guest

    Doug Mitton <> wrote:

    >Hello All;
    >
    >Is anyone still using a Canon Digital Rebel (300D)?
    >
    >I have a couple and am looking at getting new compact flash cards but
    ><2 Gig are very rare. I thought I would ask for supporting
    >information before I start experimenting.
    >
    >Have you tried different sized Compact Flash Cards in it ?
    >Successfully?
    >
    >I remember reading about issues with OVER 2 Gig cards but I can't seem
    >to find the references with an internet search.
    >
    >I seem to remember the issues being:
    >- Some cards over 2 Gig would work
    >- Even when the card worked there was a problem with the picture
    >counter maxing out at some numer (999?)
    >
    >Would appreciate any comments regarding card sizes you've tried and
    >issues you've noticed.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Thanks for all the responses.

    1) I have been burned a couple of times buying "older" storage devices
    and batteries off of ebay. Don't get me wrong, EBay is great, its
    just some things don't work as you'd expect.

    I was looking at the Compact Flash (socket?) which will hold an SD
    card. That looks interesting, I may have to try one out.

    2) Thanks for trying out the BIG compact flash. I'll be picking up a
    couple of new ones myself. It looks like the counter is limited to
    999, BUT thats no problem.

    3) I have the V1.1.1 factory F/W so it should work the same for me.

    Thanks to all who responded.
    Doug Mitton, Jul 12, 2010